BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 CSV importing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dimxr Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 01:29:45
Since the new XMM 8 was released I have been trying to resolve some minor issues, but i hadn't tried to import my new movies.
So I tried that today.

The best way to do it for me is from time to time, a massive import from a CSV file, where I show XMM in which field to put every information and in the end an automatic import from the internet all the rest info needed and everything works great!
If you take a look at my collection in the picture below, you will notice that File 1 plays a really important part to it and i guess in other people's collections when importing.
So, when I realized that, when I was trying to import my CSV, there was no File 1 on the list on the right to associate my information, I was really disappointed.

Please, please, could you bring that back? This is a really important feature for me. I can imagine that it will not have any negative effects on anyone just a small change like this...

I please you again.

Thanks again...
Hope you will bring this feature back again!

P.S. If bringing it back is not possible, then is there any way to move all my File 1 info to one of the custom fields (that already exist on the list on the right), so that I can keep all the File Names in one field?
I am asking if this is possible because moving it manually for over 3000 movies, is really difficult as you can imagine...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alessio Viti Posted - 06 Jan 2013 : 09:32:59
Sorry if I wrote only now...

If FILE1 is a *real* reference to a file that you have in your Hard Disks /NAS, why you don't use the Device Scanner to create your Database?

In this way you will have a database *linked* with your movies, and everytime you will add or delete a movie XMM will detect it.

Ale
JustME Posted - 06 Jan 2013 : 01:41:49
The way I used to figure out field mappings prior to importing an EXCEL or CSV file was to first do an export from the program (I did this with Outlook Contacts a lot) and look to see what field corresponded to what.
Once you have an idea, you can do an import without worrying about if the fields line up or not :-)
dimxr Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 23:38:47
quote:
Originally posted by yan00s

One thing with custom fields you should keep in mind is that some get used by certain scripts for additional movie information from imdb.

Of course their name suggests we can do with 'em what we want.

Yes, I have in mind that some are used. So I will use the rest... ;)

OK, this thing with Access, seems not that simple (at least in my eyes that are not used to this software).

On the other hand a REEEALY handy feature of XMM 8 is the Grid Editable. This enables me to have the File1 field open and next to it the custom field (renamed to File in DB) that is empty. I can copy from the first to the second within just 2 seconds. This way is a little bit tedious, but gives more of a control in order to be sure that nothing will go wrong.
I guess it will take 2-3 hours to finish them all, but no hurries!

So, from what I can guess here, custom fields are the way to go for me...

Thanks for your help...
yan00s Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 21:54:55
quote:
Originally posted by dimxr

I tried the Access way, but it cannot be done from there. It doesn't list the File 1 List in order to get it from there and put it in Edition.
If Access and Excel do not work, the only way to make it work is manually right?

If I'm right then "file1" is now "Description" in table MovieFilesLinks. The matching to the main Movies table is done via the "MovieID" field.

I would try something like this:

- MS Access: sort both Movies and MovieFilesLinks by "MovieID"

- copy (complete) columns MovieID and Description from MovieFilesLinks into an Excel sheet.

- copy (complete) columns MovieID and Edition from Movies into another Excel sheet.

- check the row count for both sheets (you could merge the values into a third sheet)... depending on the result you might have to find out where information is missing / adjustment is needed.

- I would use the Sheet from Movies as reference; as long as you keep the row count and sorting like it was you can afterwards copy the updated "Edition" column back into Access.

It may need some manual work but I guess it would be faster than updating 3000 movies "completely by hand".

(Don't forget to back up your DB before trying anything...)

quote:
Originally posted by dimxr

Would it be wiser to use one of the custom fields instead of Edition?
I think that is called custom for everyone to put his own stuff there, right? I mean, I don't think that it's gonna get deleted someday, right?

One thing with custom fields you should keep in mind is that some get used by certain scripts for additional movie information from imdb.

Of course their name suggests we can do with 'em what we want.
dimxr Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 19:12:59
I tried the Access way, but it cannot be done from there. It doesn't list the File 1 List in order to get it from there and put it in Edition.
If Access and Excel do not work, the only way to make it work is manually right?

Would it be wiser to use one of the custom fields instead of Edition?
I think that is called custom for everyone to put his own stuff there, right? I mean, I don't think that it's gonna get deleted someday, right?
yan00s Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 02:24:45
Actually, file1 in the main grid of XMM8 is intended to be a reference to the first file linked with the movie. And that's what it was in V.7 too.

In your csv it seems to be archive titles for isos or BD/DVD structures, right?

Well: the really really good thing about XMM8 is an extended database with more tables than before. It has high potential (lil' me thinks).

Bad news for you: file links got their own tables (one for movies and one for episodes). This makes a simple CSV direct field mapping difficult especially when more than one file should be associated with a movie or the field gets not used as intended.

Since you seem not to rely on the "real" file1 meaning but need the "release reference" you could try a different approach. The most fitting field would be "Edition" - if you instruct MagicScript not to overwrite fields wich already have content you should be save when you import Web info later on. Of course, you could use one of the custom fields instead. Check the IMDB (Complete) script configuration which custom fields are already "occupied".

For migrating the info already stored in file1 ... if you have Excel / Access at your disposal (there are test versions available which have all features enabled) you could probably move the info from one field (table) to another quite quickly.

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07