BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 HATE NEW VERSION 8.0.5.0!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NIKITASGOLD Posted - 12 Mar 2013 : 12:01:24
SORRY REALLY HATE THE NEW VERSION HAVE TRIED IT AND IT JUST DOES NOT SIT WELL GRID COLOURS ARE MUCKED UP JUST REALLY ANNOYING WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT BROKE VERSION 7.2.3.6 WAS PERFECT I UPDATE TO 8.0.5.0 YOU CANNOT EDIT THE QUICK EDIT VIEW LIKE THE OLD VERSION SEEN/NOT SEEN VERY ANNOYING
I PREFERRED THE OLD LAYOUT TO NEW VERSION I KNOW I CAN EDIT IT BUT THAT WILL TAKE FOREVER I TRANSFERRED ALL OF MY OLD XMM DATABASE TO THE NEW ONE AND NOW INSTEAD OF READING OWNED/WANTED/ORDERED IT HAS NUMBERS INSTEAD?? SO TO HONEST WILL NOT BE UPDATING AGAIN
I ALSO HAVE TO SAY THIS XMM HAS GONE LIKE APPLES ITUNES IT HAS GONE FROM BEING AN AMAZING PROGRAM TO A WELL USER UNFRIENDLY!
I KNOW I WILL PROBABLY GET TROLLED BUT EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR SAY
AND IF YOU DON'T SAY NOTHING NO-ONE WILL KNOW THE PROBLEMS RIGHT
SO BRING IT ON
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alessio Viti Posted - 30 May 2013 : 18:34:06
Thank you guys for all these suggestions.

I will try to setup one of it as soon as possible.

Ale
HaraldBluetooth Posted - 30 May 2013 : 10:40:43
About a bug tracker. I have the music collection software MediaMonkey. They are tracking bugs with Mantis and this is working really good.
Rincewindwiz Posted - 20 May 2013 : 12:51:17
quote:

I really hope to improve it a lot. I have start it again trying to fix the most important/old bugs and add the requested new features.

Please - concentrate on fixing the bugs and getting the features at least to the level of XMM7.

And I fully support the need for request/bug management features so we can have input to prioritisation and track progress. There is list/review of open source bug tracking software on
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/bug-tracking-system/
Maybe something there will help?
mon1y Posted - 08 Apr 2013 : 22:11:02
I'm still waiting for something that exist in EMM7 and not EMM8 such as cleaning cover that not attached to a movie. One (not two) step forward and one step backward.
hotshot14167 Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 22:48:28
quote:
Originally posted by jjohnbubbles

But I've also gotta reply and say 'hate' is a little over the top. Super cheap program, packed with features, no paying for updates ... give the guy a break. When he starts charging $50 for each update like most companies do, you can be more critical ;)

Each buggy update for $50, no way. I am paying for professional program a lot of money, example: Picture database (pixandmore Imabas) this is relay professional. Your right Moviemanager is the best today on the marked that's true. But do not discuss about a bug tracker that's not the problem, you can do that with a simple excel file.

Regards
Stephan
Mawu Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 14:02:00
quote:
Maybe Alessio can open a project page on Sourceforge. There is a simple bugtracker/ticket system included.

The problem is: xMM is no open source project.

Instead of that I would suggest:
http://www.mantisbt.org/
JDommi Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 10:08:46
A limitation to registered users? Never thought of anything else Maybe I would go a little further that a special (group of) user has to pre-sort the bugs/requests before writing in the tracker.
Keeping Ale away from bug fixing - that's a good argument I didn't have thought about. On the other hand Ale has to read the forum, too. And as the most positive point for a bug tracker: No bug can be forgotten and the fixings can explicitely be tested as well as added feature requests. Here in the forum you unfortunately have no clear structure for such things unless some good ghosts like Mawu invests time to collect anything in one post.
rocman Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 10:07:20
Just a hint:
Maybe Alessio can open a project page on Sourceforge. There is a simple bugtracker/ticket system included.
I tried a little bit with my "xmm scripts project page" and think this could be useful.
Furthermore Alessio has not that much efforts with programming or configuring a bugtracker which prevents him from fixing XMM.
yan00s Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 05:07:21
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

What about an official bug tracker where everybody can see and add the bugs/features progress, Ale?
I think that would be something that all users are really waiting for... beside the fixing of course

Maybe the issue manager / bug tracker should get limited to registered (as in: license holders) users?

Side note: while I strongly agree that a dedicated issue management would be very helpful for us users I'm also a bit afraid that it would keep Ale away from actually fixing bugs and adding features. You know - tickets need review, qualification, commenting, testing, discussion (*), assignment to releases etc. pp.

(*) user: it's a bug - developer: no, that's how it was designed - user: but it's kinda buggy 'cause it does not do what I want it to - dev: what do you want it to do - u: this (describing a totally different scenario from what's in the initial bug description - dev: I see. It would be a change request - u: whaterver, make it so it works like I need it to - dev: but it's not a bug ...
JDommi Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 19:49:15

What about an official bug tracker where everybody can see and add the bugs/features progress, Ale?
I think that would be something that all users are really waiting for... beside the fixing of course
Alessio Viti Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 18:51:36
Thank you jjohnbubbles

I really hope to improve it a lot. I have start it again trying to fix the most important/old bugs and add the requested new features.

Ale
jjohnbubbles Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 18:20:17
But I've also gotta reply and say 'hate' is a little over the top. Super cheap program, packed with features, no paying for updates ... give the guy a break. When he starts charging $50 for each update like most companies do, you can be more critical ;)
jjohnbubbles Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 18:01:48
I've also had problems with ver8. When it came out I jumped on it from Ver7, and didn't see anywhere that it warned me of being a beta \ rewrite. Maybe it did, but I didn't see that when it prompted me to update. Since then I have spent hours and hours building my database with thousands of entries. My problem is after hours and hours, it breaks in a way that I can't fix, and then I have to rebuild it. At this point maybe it's smart to go back to 7, as long as all the scripts still work.

The thing I love about XMM is the open scripting language. I have tried a dozen other programs and their scripts are so limited \ break frequently, and as a user I can't do anything to expand them. XMM allows me to fix scripts on my own or write new ones, I probably have 20 that I've done. This is the single most valuable tool XMM offers to me, I wish the version was more stable though. At this point I'm going to sit on my database as-is and wait for a more stable version.

Still love XMM, even with all the bugs it's the best.
hotshot14167 Posted - 27 Mar 2013 : 20:37:35
Hello @ all,
I am also extremely unhappy with V8. I use this since Nov. 2012. Here is the short story:
Where I came from? I am searching a Program that my Movies from DVD, Blue-Ray and Hard-Disks are inventory so far.
This is exactly what extreme Movie Manager are doing in the Version 7.I was also able to combine the scripts in that matter what
I need for the most Germany Movies, perfect. Rate 90% of match the right information. I this way I was very happy and I have also every time
applied all the updates scripts and program. I think in the Nov. 2012 the program update came automatically and I have installed this.
I never heard an announcement that this version fully incompatible is with the V7 (database) and the is no way back (rollback) .
There were a lot of bugs at the beginning of the deployment of the program. Crashes
Here see the versions.

I think there is no structured work of this project to eliminate all the issues and issues they are long open and not be solved ( German Umlaute etc.)
I have to spend a lot of time to report bugs to find workarounds for some problems and so on and I am extremely unhappy with the layout of the V8.
Example:

Did not match with this marker!

And so on. A lot of the functionality did not work or is illegitimate.
At all that stuff please NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SHAREWARE OR FREWARE! Everybody frequently-used this program has played for them!
I case of a really new version provide a future technic so far using of professional databases MS-SQL, Postgre, MySQL and all that fine stuff. This be a right step
in the future and make them professional.
Regards
Stephan
JDommi Posted - 25 Mar 2013 : 20:26:23
You don't have to apologize!
We all know that you are doing your best.
But some of the requests you really should realize. Especially a public Bug Tracker where everybody can work with. That way no bug/request will be ignored by mistake and the users can see the progress and the still open posts.
And the forum will stay more clean for "real" user questions.
Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Mar 2013 : 14:43:53
Hello,

I must apologize again for all of you. Some problems took me away for a while, but now I am back.

I am really sad about the comments I read, this because comes from my really old users (like Mawu, JDommi, Prinz etc...) that I estimate really much.

I am so sorry to disappoint you all, the only thing I can told you is that I try to do my best, but its not enough.

I will try to push XMM 8 more and more, I am sure will be better than 7 sooner or later

Ale
nehickel Posted - 25 Mar 2013 : 03:15:37
Greetings....

I've been using XMM8 as my only implementation since it cleared Beta. It still has some holes in it and a little ruff around some edges but like all software, its a work in progress and as long as there continues to be progress, I'm happy. Speaking of "Progress". if anyone other than Ali were to push out XMM8 as soon as he did, I'd have run for cover. But Ali never leaves the product in a lurch. He turns out upgrades 2-4 times a week AND participates in the Forum at the same time. He is in TOUCH with the wants and needs of this community, which is why I don't mind taking things early because I know that Ali will be focusing on the needs while adding wants to the ever growing list of nice to have.

So for those of you that don't seem to be getting his attention with your requests, just hang in there. All good things come to those....

Norm
apd Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 13:15:57
OK, more or less, I don't disagree with you, even though I haven't has as much luck as you in pushing in my own requests

Just to clarify, "behind Ale's back" was a nudge for him to comment further on all this. Also, "Commerciality" is not only defined in aspects of money but also in terms of achievement for drawing in more people etc.

Regarding IMDB, I think their Terms & Conditions are pretty clear:

"You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools on this site, except with our express written consent".

And further on:

"We do allow the limited use of robots and crawlers, such as those from certain search engines, with our express written consent."
Mawu Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 12:01:14
quote:
Methinks there are some very mature comments here, but we're talking behind Ale's back.

I see this and other threads as a start of a discussion. As Alessio also contributed to this thread it's not behind his back.

quote:
It seems that the commerciality of XMM also counts a lot for him;

I think it's an illusion that you can get rich with a movie manager software. Don't forget that you get a lifetime licence and that Alessio has fixed costs for the web precence and the lifeupdate stuff, software licences etc. In all likelihood xMM programing is a hobby that only yields pocket money. I use this software now for 12 years (maybe I'm the senior user here in the forum), spent only 5 € when xMM (at that time: DivxManager)was freeware - at least with me Alessio hasn't made a good deal.
I think that the time and effort for a xMM relaunch was underestimated. And it's alsways more interesting for a programer - even when he has only little time for his hobby - to integrate new and fancy things than to do the hard detail work on all the old stuff. And you shouldn't forget that Alessio has to be interested in not falling behind the competitors. When you follow discussions in movie related forums about movie manager software you will see that in principle Alessio is right with all the new ideas that we see in xMM8. But this ideas shouldn't integrated until the basic things are rock solid.

quote:
so unless he commits himself to a certain mode of going forward, any possible discussion WE may have is irrelevant.

You are right. I've learned that one can't force a programer to do things he doesn't really want. But within the last years I had contact with many programers making suggestions and bug reports and I never get such a positive feedback as from Alessio.

quote:
And having seen that excellent list of bugs/suggestions in v7 going down the drain with the advent of v8, who is brave enough to put in the same effort again, possibly for nothing?

The effort was not for nothing. The feature list for a example was an extended version of list I posted some time ago in the forum. And I have to admit that I was able to push many of my personal feature request for xMM8. It was time consuming, I had to grouch and whine and it was important not to mistime the feature request - at the end I get what I want. But with a better strategy it would be possible to shorten the whole process.

quote:
For me, the best part of XMM is the scraping capabilities. But let's not forget that, at least in the case of IMDB, scraping with a commercial programm seems to be illegal - so we rely on a SW for a feature that at any given momen may be gone. This makes me more and more cautious about investing time and effort on XMM...

All the grabbing stuff is really a grey area in law. I think IMDB differentiates between the data grabbing from the website for personal use and importing the whole IMDB database content (which can be downloaded) in an own database. That means: data grabbing like MagicScript is allowed, building a software specific database with IMDB stuff is not allowed. Therefore most of the freeware and shareware movie managers use IMDB data grabbing. The problem is that every site has it's own terms of use (e.g. AMG has very strict terms of use) and sites like IMDB can change its mind at any time. But you should keep cool. There were no problems the last 12 years and there will be always a workaround. In a worst case scenario we have to build an own xMM movie database (like DVD-Profiler, Movie Collector or MyMovies - xMM's toughest competitors)or binaryworks.it has to be relocated to Antigua.

Bye byte
mawu
apd Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 08:00:08
Methinks there are some very mature comments here, but we're talking behind Ale's back. It seems that the commerciality of XMM also counts a lot for him; so unless he commits himself to a certain mode of going forward, any possible discussion WE may have is irrelevant. And having seen that excellent list of bugs/suggestions in v7 going down the drain with the advent of v8, who is brave enough to put in the same effort again, possibly for nothing?

For me, the best part of XMM is the scraping capabilities. But let's not forget that, at least in the case of IMDB, scraping with a commercial programm seems to be illegal - so we rely on a SW for a feature that at any given momen may be gone. This makes me more and more cautious about investing time and effort on XMM...

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.46 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07