BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 BUG: Unable to change Disc Letter w/XMM8 Tools

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nehickel Posted - 25 Mar 2013 : 02:52:33
Greetings Ali

For the last several years I've been maintaining a highly portable XMM8 environment where everything is digitized and local to my XMM8 setup.

Everything (Movies, Photos, Trailers, Music, Scripts, Books, etc...) have all been digitized and stored on a 2 TB portable USB3 hard drive. This environment is very conducive to my highly mobile job, where I get a different cookie-cutter laptop every time I head out. Normally this cookie cutter laptop helps to insure that every travel laptop is clean of viruses and non-standard modification.

On my last road trip I was given one of the new laptops. Normally there are no problems with getting XMM8 to fit right in. However this time was not normal. The new standard disk configuration has 3 partitions and thus the drive letters normally assigned to the portable XMM8 drive is no longer valid with XMM8. I could easily use old DOS commands that would allow me to change the drive letters around but that could also cause problems with the other software that was added to this cookie-cutter laptop. The best solution is to use the XMM8 internal tools to change drive letters in the XMM Database. There are File Tools and a Field Tools, which should be able to take care of the problem.

I am pleading to you Ali for what I hope is a small amount of time. Time to include the Trailer fields to those fields that the Fields Management tools can work on. Specifically the tool for change one string in the field to another string.

Thank You in Advance for your consideration.
Norm
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nehickel Posted - 06 Apr 2013 : 21:28:10
Yes, I tried that and for some reason, it doesn't work on the Trailer field(s). I ended up using Access and manually making the changes.
Since I was using the Trailer Fields in an unsupported manner, I'm not looking for a permanent solution, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the replace function not working for Trailers.

Thanks,
Norm
Alessio Viti Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 12:14:40
Hello,

Sorry to answer so late!

You can use the FileManager inside XMM. There is a function to change it, is called "Replace a word on Files..."

With this you can change for example "g:\" with "f:\"

Ale
yan00s Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 18:04:56
quote:
Originally posted by nehickel

Yes, I've located the correct table and field that needs to be changed but I don't know Access commands. I do know how to make the changes one record at a time but that will take a month of Sundays.

It should be pretty straigth forward:
- open the table you want to alter
- select the column you want to change (helps limiting the search)
- invoke the search dialog, either by <ctrl>+<f> or from the start menu band
- select the "replace" tab
- enter the search string
- enter the new string
- limit the search to the current field (selected column)
- set search option to "Start of field" (you gonna change a drive letter, right?)
- set search to "all"
- hit replace

Access will probably complain that it will not be able to undo the changes so if you are sure and have a backup, roll on.

A reference: http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/access-help/find-and-replace-part-or-all-of-a-record-in-an-access-table-query-or-form-HP005187609.aspx#BMbasicfind
nehickel Posted - 03 Apr 2013 : 23:21:09
Yes, I've located the correct table and field that needs to be changed but I don't know Access commands. I do know how to make the changes one record at a time but that will take a month of Sundays. I'll keep poking at it but could I email you if I can't get anything working?

Thanks,
Norm
yan00s Posted - 30 Mar 2013 : 03:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by nehickel

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem. I do have MS Access but I don't know how to have it do a search and repair on the values within it. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

Access has search and replace like all the other MS Office applications. You can limit s&r actions to the selected field and with clever strings you may be quite safe. Nevertheless: try it with a copy first and keep the backups - of course.

Depending on your usage of XMM you will have to alter few tables. You might want to start with MovieFilesLinks for the actual movie files and EpisodeFilesLinks for tv shows. The link used by XMM is usually stored in the data field - goes for the Trailers table too.
nehickel Posted - 30 Mar 2013 : 02:14:33
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem. I do have MS Access but I don't know how to have it do a search and repair on the values within it. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07