BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 XMM development

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bluetora Posted - 01 Jun 2014 : 18:48:28
Sorry - this is not a bug-report.

I think there are some very good ideas in XMM,
***but***
there are also very bad things to tell about XMM.

1. Support does NOT really work. Alessio is away or busy or ... too often.
2. Ale seems to be the only developer (for XMM core).
3. Database-structure is very bad; no relations, different definitions (text*250, text*255, memo); it is IMHO not structured but done 'quick and dirty'.
4. Often forgotten options (e.g. scripts: you can choose 'show only my scripts' by clicking right mouse button, but there is no way to mark a script as 'mine').
5. Some scripts destroy movie entries - have ALL scripts been tested?
6. Scripts are 'overflowed' with '#'. This destroys readability. What a #*#*# idea to write a parser/interpreter like that...
7. Device scanner does not work (see my other post). So it's not possible to check/test other features XMM may have.
8. No Undo-function (see 5. above).

...and more...

Sorry to say this: XMM is not in any stable state. I payed for it, but I think I will not use or try it any longer. I would use and test it, if it were a beta, just to help. But it is not a beta - and there is practically no support.

As I wrote before: there are some good ideas in XMM. But the 'product' is far away from being good. Sorry.

If someone wants to bake a pizza he should at least know ingredients and oven temperature...

I only got a black piece with some things on it that may have been tomatoes or slices of salami.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JDommi Posted - 14 Dec 2014 : 00:24:23
As said: Good to know
Mawu Posted - 14 Dec 2014 : 00:02:02
quote:
But good to know that at least you are still on in this forum, Mawu!

There is no reason to leave. xMM8 is still in use here and this will not change in the near future.
JDommi Posted - 13 Dec 2014 : 18:13:57
I don't know where the switcher is, Mawu

Okay, Win8... I have to use it at my job. It's not the bugs but I think it's too heavy-handed in much functions/actions. My opinion! So no discussion about, hehe.

But good to know that at least you are still on in this forum, Mawu!
Mawu Posted - 13 Dec 2014 : 14:26:24
quote:
But development is going a bit slowly, so maybe Alessio could need some assistance in the process (specification, coding, +++)?

I think help in coding is not possible and not wanted. Help is possible in the periphery of the program (scripts, movie cards addons, tutorials and mobile apps). But this activities stand and fall with a good and error-free core program.

quote:
Especially since release 8 that categorically must have been released at the same time like windows 8. Both was - in my eyes - a flop.

No. Windows 8 was not buggy and only needed getting used to. In the meantime I like it (most of all since I've bought a convertible). xMM8 hmmm, it's more or less a love-hate relationship

quote:
The only help he has are 2 moderators for the forum where one of them wasn't seen for about 1 year now.

We will never see him again.

quote:
For me the whole situation is frustrating, too. As I mostly can't really help in answering all those questions in the forum about workarounds or bugs I can only pass these questions to Ale who sometimes doesn't respond for weeks...

Don't be frustrated and carry on. You have to be the Last one who turn out the lights here. ;-)
JDommi Posted - 12 Dec 2014 : 10:12:58
I don't have really big problems like you - fortunately. But there are some bugs that do limit working with XMM and or the comfort to work with. "Old" users do know times where updates, new features and bugfixes came multiple a week or maybe a month. So their mourning is kinda reasonable. Especially since release 8 that categorically must have been released at the same time like windows 8. Both was - in my eyes - a flop.
And very new users maybe frustrated about less and lesser updates in the last 2 years. So they have to live with all those little bugs that in their sum are more than annoying.
If Ale thinks of a "helping hand"? I don't know but I don't think so. The only help he has are 2 moderators for the forum where one of them wasn't seen for about 1 year now. For me the whole situation is frustrating, too. As I mostly can't really help in answering all those questions in the forum about workarounds or bugs I can only pass these questions to Ale who sometimes doesn't respond for weeks...
rbrekken Posted - 12 Dec 2014 : 07:48:49
Strange... There seem to be so many that have big problems using XMM8, but I have "none".. :-) I've used XMM8 since it became available and must say that I'm fairly pleased with it. It have some bugs and glitches, yes, but I've learned how to avoid them and then it works pretty good.

But development is going a bit slowly, so maybe Alessio could need some assistance in the process (specification, coding, +++)? Does anybody know if he has ever considered that?
JDommi Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 23:27:38
Or someone who has a plan for you
Rincewindwiz Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 23:15:28
In order to achieve what is possible - you have to have a plan!
JDommi Posted - 21 Nov 2014 : 09:36:51
Only Ale knows...
Rincewindwiz Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 23:27:39
I am sorry for Ale because he does try hard. But XMM8 is a disaster of his own making.
Many times (since before XMM* came out) I have requested to get v7 working properly - it meets 90% of requirements of 90% of users and it actually works and that takes pressure of V8

Instead all effort goes in to V8 - developed not because of any burning pressure from users (there cant have been because there is nowhere users can see/discuss/prioritise the importance of requested featuers) but simply because developing new is more fun than making old work.

Now 18 months later I still use V7 because it is reliable, works on my x64 machine and does nearly all the things I want it to do - and would do all the things if scripts worked properly.

Where is the plan that gives me some idea when V8 will be stable and useable. Or maybe I should just move on?

Ale and you other core users - WHAT IS THE PLAN AND TIMESCALE for a stable working V8?
wellwet Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 22:01:06
Latest version, 8.4.2.0 64bit, Compact & Repair database function backups database and erases the database :)
Alessio Viti Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 22:13:53
No, no, there isn't.

The only difference is the EXE os the software.

If you have not the database drivers XMM will told you.

Ale
HETOPMO3 Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 18:25:34
Is it necessary to uninstall the 32-bit version prior to installing the 64-bit one?
Alessio Viti Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 06:24:01
No, if XMM works you can still use the 32 bit release.

Ale
Valkyrslayer Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 23:05:26
Mine just updated and i am running Windows 7 64Bit. Should i change to the 64 bit version even if i have no memory error so far? (around 300 movies in the database)
Alessio Viti Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 15:35:26
Hello Guys,

I have upload just now a new release.

I have made some tests to try to figure out the 64 bit drivers problem.

Now the EXE should run correctly in both systems.

If you have a 32 bit windows, nothing will change.

If you have a 64 bit version probably you need to install the database drivers.

If XMM will not be able will automatically open the website to download the Drivers.

Alessio
JDommi Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 17:26:15
I'm still living but almost falling asleep
When next release comes - I hope - there will be more to talk about...
wernhard Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 13:14:41
'shouts carefully' Anybody alive in this forum? 'voice echoes'
Since Weeks nothing happened...where is the 64bit Version?
BBBBrett Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 12:48:42
Personally I would be happy if the most obvious scripts were kept up to date....
The Movie Database (For fanart, gives another dimension to both appearance of XMM and to movie info)
IMDB (For obvious reason... it has the most complete and accurate database as well as the most info, ie trivia blah blah
Trailer Addict (Trailers... a good thing when just browsing your collection for a good movie, TA has the best trailers by far, much better than YouTube)

I just added movies for the first time in a few months because I have just about given up on it ever being as good as it was back in XMM7, now when I use TMDB and follow with IMDB I get actors added twice instead of being overwritten. I tried to set TMDB.ORG to NOT add actors, but it does anyway. LOL.

It is very disappointing, especially as Alessio still advertises the product as being supported, when clearly it has not been for over a year now. It was so good, now it is just crap. The worse part is nothing else compares to it so we just have to accept it as crap.

VSUK Posted - 12 Oct 2014 : 23:57:56
Wrong attitude and wrong answer (I think) given that I paid over 20 euros for XMM!

There have been several posts here about these exceptions (one of them just few hours ago).

Previous versions (7s or early 8s, can't remember exactly which) didn't have this problem.

I've reinstalled XMM several times, including starting it in debug mode, but debug file does not open.

Latest post (Add Actor manually) showing the same type of error / crash. An earlier post (SYSTEM OUT OF MEMORY EXCEPTION) also showing that lots of people (most of them advanced users) had the same problem. This post suggested that this would only go away with x64 version which is no where to be found.

I'm running W8.1 on I7 3600 MHz with 30 GB of memory so don't expect to run out of memory so easily. In regards to your comment about "Simple answer: too less rights", I've checked these before posting and these are also OK (more of W7 problem really not W8).

Do you need more evidence?

Thanks,
VSUK

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.1 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07