BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JDommi Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 10:36:52
Where in the hell will finally all folders of XMM8 stay?
It's killing that after every new full installation I have to look where the actual folders are!
Especially as in the full installation there are not always the actual HTML cards! And after installation of this release I finally have again all subfolders as doublettes in Program Files(x86) AND in ProgramData.
In fact for every OS since Vista the binaries have to be in Program Files(x86) and every other file that needs the right to be changed has to be in ProgramData. (ProgramData is equal to the folder AllUsers for XP!)
And PLEASE!!! include also the actual cards as they are not as easy to re-update again as the scripts. Beside that I don't know if every User remembers which cards are old again and where he has downloaded it in the forum. No question that mostly no user have a backup of these cards!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alessio Viti Posted - 01 Nov 2012 : 10:42:25
Thank you, I will try to make some tests next weeks to see if works correctly...

Ale
OzTechGeek Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 21:58:03
Ale,

I would like to suggest a possible solution to your problem. If you revert the installer back to the 8.0.1.5 version where it installs by default to %ProgramData% for data and %ProgramFiles% for executables, you could then implement my suggestions from my previous post (http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9882).

This way those who want the data stored in %ProgramData% have that option by default, and those who want to store the data in a different location "My Documents" or another drive and path (like me :)) have that option since you can change the path locations under "Options". For those who want a protable version you could do something like I suggested in my previous post, where by default all settings from the config.ini are stored in the registry by default, and for those who need a portable version maybe you could add a button under "Options", something like "Make Portable".

So that when you choose the "Make Portable" option it takes the settings from the registry and stores them in the "config.ini" file, in the same directory as the executables for XMM.

So when XMM starts by default it looks to see if a "config.ini" files exists in the XMM directory, if not it uses the settings from the registry.

Thats should cover all bases.

Thoughts?
Alessio Viti Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 16:12:33
Hello Zukkara!

You are right... I still have to decide what to do. in the old XMM 7 the installation folder what "My Documents" by default... and this was good because there is no restrictions on that folder.

I don't know yet what do exactly... as you can imagine each user has his own ideas about that. I have to think carefully.

Ale
zukkara Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 09:13:08
@ Ale
I hope you are not still mad at me. But the new installation process still has a major problem!
You install everything into one folder. That makes XMM portable again, which many whished for. It is fine. But doing that i wonder why one needs admin rights for the installation? The should not be neccessary.
Only if you install into C:\programfiles(86). But you must not do that. A normal user in windows has not rights to write into C:\programfiles(86). This is for security reasons. And it needs to stay like that.
On installation you change the nfts rights of C:\programfiles(86), because xmm needs write access to the folder if everything is installed into one folder. But that violates the windows security.

Installing in one folder, it would be far better for the installation process to suggest "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\XMM" there you don't need admin rights for installation and even more important you don't need to change any ntfs rights. The User could still select another location on the computer which better suits him, to give more users access or to use xmm portable. Admin rights would only be needed for the start menu shortcuts, if they are needed for all users.

Please consider that.
zukkara Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 18:19:16
I like xmm. And i bought it because i think it is very good in managing movies, but the installation configuration is behind the otherwise good program.
Sorting out the installation once, will help focusing on the important aspects of the software. And you have the base for all following versions of xmm.

I apologize for my remark, but i feel strongly about the propper installation. As it is vital for running a safe and well organized windows system.
Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 15:32:06
I will not answer to this provocation... please use other software that are much better of XMM instead of lose time here...
zukkara Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 13:50:51
How can XMM be the best movie manager, if it does not even manages windows installation?
zukkara Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 13:45:49
I would always opt for a individual user configuration, as different users might want different configuration of xmm. (e.g. Show different columns in the Gridview...)
The database can still be at one place, that is accessible for all the users. And maybe i have some films in my database, i don't want you to know about.
To make it more complicated :-) there could be an option in the program, which tells xmm where to look for the config files. User separated (%APPDATA%) or one for all users (%PROGRAMDATA%). Other programs manage it, too.

My fear is, that even when it is working, the hole issue of windows conform installation will still not be addressed. For two years now xmm7 hasn't managed.

But using ProgramData Ale should think about the ntfs permissions he has altered. USER and an AUTHENTICATED USER might be better then EVERYONE. Give xmm as little rights as possible. And never! change any ntfs permissions in the PROGRAMFILES folders!!!

And don't hardcode the pathes in xmm but use the windows environment variables!!
JDommi Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 11:24:56
You're right zukkara, but at first we all need a fully working version. Let's make it not too complicated at the beginning ;)
Would be great if Ale would manage it as officially should, but let's begin to have a "working" release.
By the way, as XMM isn't concipated for multiuser you don't need to use more than ProgramData and Programs(x86)... otherwise every user has to manage his own database, too. Just like the script options and many more.
zukkara Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 10:59:49
@ JDommi and Ale
I think ProgramData is not the right place for the HTML Cards and the other stuff. It is in the users folder Appdata\Roaming.
That is the only way each user on a computer can have their own configuartion of XMM. And actually that is the right place since XP only the folder was named differently.
Here are the rules: \Program Files\ should contain only executables, \Program Data\ only generic supporting files, and Users\username\AppData\ the data created for the specific user's invocation of the program.
You can also read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489.aspx.
So xmm could store a template of the configuartion files and the HTML cards an all the other stuff, that a user can alter in the programdata folder. When a user runs xmm the first time, the templates are copied into the users appdata roaming folder, and there they can be worked on.
Then there is also no need to change ntfs permissions for the programdata folder as xmm has done.
Apart from that it would be nice to give the user the option during installation for a portable installation.

The hole discussion is going on here now for two years and i dont see a reason why it should not be possible. xmm8 would have been the perfect oportunity to make it right from the start.
Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 07:20:33
Thank you!
Prinz Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 18:51:46
You can use the types and components sections to create to different install types in one Setup.
Alessio Viti Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 05:59:24
Prinz, could you point me to the right direction? So I can give a try?

Thank you,

Ale
Prinz Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 16:26:12
quote:
Originally posted by HaraldBluetooth

Couldn't you start the installation process by asking if the installation should be portable or not.

Of course you can do that with the Innosetup installer.
HaraldBluetooth Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 14:44:48
Alessio I think, that the issues JDommi raises about the installation process is correct. Couldn't you start the installation process by asking if the installation should be portable or not. If not, then it have to
follow the installation rules for windows7/8/vista. All the files, that is changeable by the user, the database incl., should be installed in the ProgramData folder. If this isn't possible, then I think you should have two different installationfiles. One for portable and one for default windows installation.
Alessio Viti Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 13:41:01
From the release 8.0.1.5 everything is inside ONE Folder only... this to avoid the problems of portability, so if you install under Program files (x32) all files will be read here by XMM.
JDommi Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 12:08:22
This time all subfolders like MovieCards and Scripts are back in the Program Files(x86) again. Before they were only in ProgramData.
With the card could be of course an error by me. But seemed to be so. Especially the big_cover card has lost the settings and I had to setup everything again.
Alessio Viti Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 12:00:39
Sorry JDommi... HTML Cards in the installation are not updated??? Maybe I have miss something these days?

About the installation... INNO setup should remember always the latest folder you used... so it depend on the last installation you made, isn't it?

Ale

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07