BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 The "Box Set" Problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mawu Posted - 03 Apr 2013 : 16:06:46
Here is the long version of my general criticism concerning the box set feature. In xMM8 box sets are integrated in another way like in xMM7 - for me a development from bad to worse.

Main problem:
Boxset = Movie is a wrong approach. Boxsets are only containers for movies/tv shows which means only a superordinate sorting-level: Boxset="mother profile", Movie="child profile".

The outcome of this is:
- when importing the whole collection from xMM7 boxets now get an MovieID but are not sorted together with the associated movies. Result: chaotic sorting. And there is no easy way to rearrange this. Boxsets need there own IDs or no ID at all. How this can look like you can see here (Boxsets are sorted in the grid according to the MovieID of the associated movies):

It's a screenshot from DVD-Profiler a program that is worth to look at as far as boxet concept is concerned (mother-child-profiles on different levels).
- Using the set of data fields for movies also for boxsets is suboptimal as many fields are of no use. I don't need cast&crew, video, audio as this info has to be with the several movies.
Therefore it would be useful to get an own edit window for boxsets (like in xMM7) or to "grey out" the useless data fields in the now available edit window. Actually we only need :
-- (ID), Title, Year
-- main tab: Original Title, Media, Boxset, CataloN°, Total Length, MPAA, status, Personal Rating, Rating, marked, wanted
-- details tab: plots, comments, reviews, studio, distributor
-- dvd/vhs tab: all fields
-- pictures tab
-- web tab
-- personal tab: all fields, maybe the seen details are not essential
-- disks tab

All other stuff is not necessary. On the other hand a tab for associated movies/seasons/episodes tab is missing. I can assign a selected movie to a boxset (right-click menu in grid, dvd/vhs tab in edit window), curiously I can assign a selected boxset to a boxset (I think this illustrates the weakness of the actual concept) but I can't assign a boxset to a movie. According to the episodes tab concept for tv series there should also be a tab for boxsets where one can select/deselect movies/tv series from the boxset. Maybe it's possible to "activate" the episodes tab analogous to the "activation" when selecting the tv show checkbox also when selecting boxset checkbox.

A further problem is that the xMM7/8 boxset feature does not work for tv series. At the moment you can only manage it according to the tv-series=movie=boxset concept and only the tv-serie at once. Generally tv-show boxsets contain the whole tv-series at once, only one season, only 1/2 season or only some episodes. This has to be covered in xMM8, which means you have to be able to assign episodes/seasons seperately to a boxset. For this the episodes tab should be activated (when checkbox for boxset and TV-series is activated; btw: at the moment this is not possible, also transfering a movie into a boxset by activating the boxset checkbox). There the user should be able to select the episodes/seasons of the serie associated with this boxset. Vice versa it's also necessary to assign more than one boxset to a tv series (e.g. to list all boxsets of a special tv series in treeview and/or grid)

Bye Byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07