BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 xMM 8 - Some very first impressions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mawu Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 15:24:11
I think in the meantime I'm the "senior user" of this wonderful moviemanager and as a matter of course I have some comments concerning the new early alpha version.
With a new xMM version I have always the same problem. On the one side I'm happy to get a better designed programm with completely new or long awaited features, on the other side I fear that features that have won my heart just disappear.
OK, lets do the business. Here are my comments (mostly critical):
- the import of my old database was a pain. xMM needed more than half an our to complete the import. As I don't use all my custom fields for IMDB stuff (e.g. I see no use in the awards number field at all, therefore I use it for more important stuff), all this custom data are now in wrong fields. There should be an import option to map the old custom fields to the new ones. For me it's not that problem as I can use Access to do this, but not every xMM user will have Access available
- I'm a little bit disappointed that xMM still uses acsess database, although imho better alternatives are available (SQL Lite, SQL Server Compact)
- Data fields:
- Where can I modifiy the list of selectable items in language, country, genre, subgenre field?
- I don't like some data field arrangement in the edit window (e.g. UPC should be in DVD/VHS tab, Editor in Cast & Crew)
- Cast&Crew: the important IMDB ID is missing (as its a unique identification number), the unimportant internal ID is displayed instead. Please bring it back. Should be also integrated in Actors DB
- It's a good idea to have the possibility of multiple data entries for the most important crew members(director, producer, writer, musician, photographer). The editor is missing here as the corresponding data field is placed in another tab as an ordinary data field. There is the question if an own data field for the editor is really necessary or if it's better to have a table called "Other crew members" where all other available crew members are listed. Some people are more interested in the special effects guys other people wanted to have the stunt men listed.
- Multiple data entries should be also available for studio and distributor
- IMDB stuff: plot keywords are missing
- auto-complete and pulldown menue for data fields is missing
- managagement of multiple audio streams hasn't developed. On DVD/Blu-ray you have multiple audio streams and for every audio stream you must have the audio codec/sample rate/media language/audio bitrate/channels/audio format listed separately
- "Color" checkbox: should be extended: color, b&w, colorized, mixed
- media year should be changed to media date!
- seen details: should be extend as movie freaks generally see a movie more than one time (seen history, multiple data entries possible), also the loan stuff is improvable (in old xMM 4.8 a loan history was available, from 5.0 on it disappeared and never came back)
- is there a solution available for the "tv series boxset problem" as I call it? Most TV series are distributed in seasons boxsets. In xMM there is not really an elegant way to manage seasons
(cover, movie card, boxset assignemnt). You always manage the serie at all or the single episodes.

TO BE CONTINUED

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saphir Posted - 14 Sep 2012 : 14:57:47
It's a lot what mawu wrote but I agree with him :-)
Alessio Viti Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 20:23:08
Thank you Mawu!

I am out until saturday, I will continue to read on forum but I will answer point by point next week.

Please continue to analyze the new software and to write your impressions!

Ale
JDommi Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 17:50:33
quote:
Originally posted by Mawu

I think in the meantime I'm the "senior user" of this wonderful moviemanager and as a matter of course I have some comments concerning the new early alpha version.
With a new xMM version I have always the same problem. On the one side I'm happy to get a better designed programm with completely new or long awaited features, on the other side I fear that features that have won my heart just disappear.
OK, lets do the business. Here are my comments (mostly critical):
- the import of my old database was a pain. xMM needed more than half an our to complete the import. As I don't use all my custom fields for IMDB stuff (e.g. I see no use in the awards number field at all, therefore I use it for more important stuff), all this custom data are now in wrong fields. There should be an import option to map the old custom fields to the new ones. For me it's not that problem as I can use Access to do this, but not every xMM user will have Access available

The custom fields are converted to the correct columns. But the HTML Cards are not changed yet. Like the scripts are not changed yet.

quote:
- I'm a little bit disappointed that xMM still uses acsess database, although imho better alternatives are available (SQL Lite, SQL Server Compact)
- Data fields:
- Where can I modifiy the list of selectable items in language, country, genre, subgenre field?
- I don't like some data field arrangement in the edit window (e.g. UPC should be in DVD/VHS tab, Editor in Cast & Crew)
- Cast&Crew: the important IMDB ID is missing (as its a unique identification number), the unimportant internal ID is displayed instead. Please bring it back. Should be also integrated in Actors DB

Already told to Ale. Espicially as different actors with the same name can't be treated.

quote:
- It's a good idea to have the possibility of multiple data entries for the most important crew members(director, producer, writer, musician, photographer). The editor is missing here as the corresponding data field is placed in another tab as an ordinary data field. There is the question if an own data field for the editor is really necessary or if it's better to have a table called "Other crew members" where all other available crew members are listed. Some people are more interested in the special effects guys other people wanted to have the stunt men listed.

It's intended to use a people table that keep all the different types of jobs related to the movie. So I think that "Other Crew Members" will get a separated data field. Maybe saved to a custom field. Ale has to think about how to manage this the best.

quote:
- Multiple data entries should be also available for studio and distributor
- IMDB stuff: plot keywords are missing
- auto-complete and pulldown menue for data fields is missing
- managagement of multiple audio streams hasn't developed. On DVD/Blu-ray you have multiple audio streams and for every audio stream you must have the audio codec/sample rate/media language/audio bitrate/channels/audio format listed separately
- "Color" checkbox: should be extended: color, b&w, colorized, mixed
- media year should be changed to media date!

Already noted as requests!

quote:
- seen details: should be extend as movie freaks generally see a movie more than one time (seen history, multiple data entries possible), also the loan stuff is improvable (in old xMM 4.8 a loan history was available, from 5.0 on it disappeared and never came back)

Good idea!

quote:
- is there a solution available for the "tv series boxset problem" as I call it? Most TV series are distributed in seasons boxsets. In xMM there is not really an elegant way to manage seasons
(cover, movie card, boxset assignemnt). You always manage the serie at all or the single episodes.

Haven't thought of that to check... Thanks for the hint!

quote:
TO BE CONTINUED

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

I have sent you a link, maybe we can add all those requests later to keep Ale the way to remove the bugs that are still in the alpha!
Mawu Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 17:23:26
@vladlp

In xMM 7 only the quickedit window but not the normal edit window was customizable.
vladlp Posted - 03 Sep 2012 : 16:20:05
quote:

I don't like some data field arrangement in the edit window (e.g. UPC should be in DVD/VHS tab, Editor in Cast & Crew)

In xMM 7 in QuickEditView you use XtraLayuot, in xMM 8 QuickEditView is not implemented in alpha, but when it comes probably you can use the same controll for edit window?

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07