BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 xMM 8.0.15 - The good, the bad & the weird

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mawu Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 19:36:51
Hi Alessio,

here is a short review of the new version (mainly concerning the new database items) + a to-do-list to get feature complete.

Main Tab: Data Fields ok; Movie director: I can't add a completely new person manually, right click shows chain selection (For what? And why only chains and no single scripts)
Sorry, its a bug to show chains. I have remove it. You can add a new person by clicking on the Add button at to of the grid.

Episodes: Episodes are not listed in table although they are imported
Another bug...

Cast&Crew: I can't add a completely new person manually; I will not insist on an "Other crew" list instead of the "Editor" field. Therefore for me it's ok. Maybe an extended IMDB script will use the custom fields for that stuff. The WebID should also be stored in the person database as a unique label for every cast&crew member.
You should add a people in People Database before use in a Cast&Crew.About the WebID is already stored in People Database, is near the Name

Details: ok, Movie Connections field is too small to edit it.
OK

Details2: ok, but what the hell is "Repository" for?
Now I have remember this field. Is to store the data about the CD Handler machine. The machines where you can insert your CD and mechanically they store it. Like a jukebox. I hoe you understand my bad english

Video: For some of the fields dropdown menue for selection will be nice (in xMM at least "screen ratio" and "video standard" had it), color and 3D are unchanged which is a little bit disappointing.
I will try to see if I can add it later...

Audio: Data fields are perfectly arranged, "add audio stream" is without any function, what is the function of MovieID checkbox and filter?
I have forget to hide the Add Audio Stream button :-)

DVD/VHS: why media year and not media release date (all online databases are listing the exact release date!)?????? What is the keywords field for? What is the "start chain" function for when right-clicking into features field? Also dropdown menues are missing for the data fields.
I will try to change the Media Year field to Date. The Keywords are the Plot Keywords, the tab is wrong, I will move it.Start chain is a bug

Pictures/Frames/Web: ok, but I'm missing the little (front)cover at the right side of the edit window in xMM7
OK, I will try to add it back

Custom: perfect

Personal: labeling movie as a gift is missing (I will not insist on this). It's a pity that I can't manage more than one seen date
For Gift, I will try to add it.

Files: ok; right click on file shows "Start chain". For what?

Discs: File Size isn't counted; when deleting disc "Delete this audio stream" appears as a message.
OK

Not possible at the moment: engine doesn't recognize a ripped dvd on my harddisk; adding of single files and reading codec doesn't work (like function in the icon bar in the edit window of xMM7; btw: this icon bar was helpful)

Other missing things from XMM7 to reach the beta status:
- Statistic doesn't load and mini statistic is missing
- database utility: exchange movies (!), compact&repair are missing
- import: csv missing, other imports should be carefully tested as it is the first impression new users get when they will switch to xMM
- export: from the old export manager csv and txt export were helpful; the old Memtronic stuff can be canceled (but maybe you'll find a way to adapt the nice layout "movie list+basic filters+moviecard" for a JavaScript based template in the new version", HTML-Templates should be integrated in a long announced report generator (but maybe in xMM 8.1); nfo export for the rippers
- cover print is missing
- plugins: should be carefully tested by the authors with new xmm8 and maybe put in an own ribbon
- Refresh and random button should be added to the main robbon
- quickedit/picture/backcover view (I have to admit that I only use this view), shelves view: I don't need it but maybe there still some fans of it
- Loan/friends manager should come back. maybe a little bit extended: date a movie has to be returned, memory message to keep the deadline, loan history like in xMM 4.8
- Manage Lists!
- Missing features from collection maintenance
- Treeview: possibility to hide all elements; button to reach the options directly
- all the advanced filter stuff is missing; for future versions advanced filters/searches should be storeable in the treeview as custom view
- Boxset: fields that are not directly related to a boxset (as its the data set for movies) should be hidden/greyed out and a list of all movies assigned to the boxset is missing. I accept that for programming reasons the now realized solution is maybe the best, but I don't like it anyway.

Bye byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JDommi Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 11:28:37
I'm still working with Office 2003, therefor I'm not familiar with. Especially as it's normally a one-time setting.
Mawu Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 11:11:28
@JDommi

quote:
Maybe, but it was so long ago that I have set the ribbon so that I didn't remember... old men and their memory

It's implemented in analogy to the ribbon in MS Office. Only the "Minimize ribbon" funktion in context menue is missing from XMM7 (and Office 2010).

Bye byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
JDommi Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 10:31:26
Maybe, but it was so long ago that I have set the ribbon so that I didn't remember... old men and their memory
Mawu Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 10:29:24
@Alessio

quote:
You should add a people in People Database before use in a Cast&Crew.

That's too complicated. I (and I think most of the users) don't care so much about the people database. Add ..., write name, save & exit, done. All other procedures are not intuitive and not quick enough.
Yes, you are right. I will modify it. If the people will be new a new entry will be automatically created

quote:
About the WebID is already stored in People Database, is near the Name

Sorry, I've overseen that.

quote:
I know that you will not like this solution, but its the only way to add in future new "boolean" variables without change database structure (and to add your own!)

Sorry that I'm grouching so much. But the database design must be perfect for the final version as it is always very complicated to make additions or changes. And slowly but surely the new version take a good shape.
Yesterday I suggested to bring back the front cover selection back as it was realized in xMM7. The advantage was that it was permanently displayed on the right side of edit window. If this is not possible any longer maybe the data field configuration in 8.0.15 is after all the best solution (because I don't like a further details tab). The movie features can be shifted to video tab and are fine (I hope it's possible to get a custom view e.g. only for b&w movies), maybe with one exception: I would put the "gift" as a single checkbox to the personal tab (it's only to see what movies were a present and not purchased; there is no elegant way to realize checkbox stuff with the custom fields).
The picture in the front cover is a good idea, even if its only in the first tab, because often when you edit a movie you just take a look to first Tab.

About the other features, I have add an entry called "Movie Features" in the Treeview, so will be easy to filter.

Bye Byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 10:11:48
Its the same of XMM 7, isn't it? also on 7 you have to double click to hide or not the ribbon.

Ale
JDommi Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 10:01:56
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

Hello Mawu and JDommi.

@Mawu, I will answer in Green directly on your message.

JDommi, to hide it you have just to double click on the menu of ribbon.

Ale

GREAT! I didn't recognize that I have to double click on a menu entry. I nearly tried everything else *lol*

Maybe you should add this feature to the options or the menu itself. Otherwise nobody will even know about this possibility!
chaosID Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 09:42:18
On my system in a second frequency pops up a window and disappears immediately. I think it is the batch import window, but I can not tell.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 08:48:19
I know that you will not like this solution, but its the only way to add in future new "boolean" variables without change database structure (and to add your own!)

Alessio Viti Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 06:51:22
Hello Mawu and JDommi.

@Mawu, I will answer in Green directly on your message.

JDommi, to hide it you have just to double click on the menu of ribbon.

Ale
JDommi Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 20:37:23
The command bar is only visible when clicked on a menu title.
Have a look at this pic: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?unsj95yq7axyq87
Mawu Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 20:16:34
@JDommi
quote:
A feature that I'm really missing is the hiding of the commands ribbon like in rel. 7. Maybe you've listed it above but I haven't seen it yet.

Was ist dass denn?
JDommi Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 20:09:33
You're right, Mawu!

Beside that, good list of the functions that already where in XMM7 and are still missing.
A feature that I'm really missing is the hiding of the commands ribbon like in rel. 7. Maybe you've listed it above but I haven't seen it yet.
Mawu Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 19:49:39
@Jdommi

Ok. But then this data field should move to the personal tab.

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
JDommi Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 19:45:19
Just a quick answer for "Repository"

It's a field that is not imported by any script. It was originaly used in the Custom 4 Field to input where the media is stored like in a DVD Suite, in a spindle or in a racket, etc.

On the card there are also existing pics for those kinds of storage.

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07