BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 Data Fields + Edit Window - The final approach

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mawu Posted - 13 Oct 2012 : 17:49:45
Hello,

as I'm until now not really satisfied with the arrangement of data fields in edit window I made my own xMM in Photoshop. Here are my suggestions:
1. Main window: looks more than in xMM7, basic info like country and genre are back, rearrangement of several elements, dropdown menue for MPAA

2.Cast and Crew: icon bars are too big, producer should be switched with editor as the producer list is always very long, xMM internal is not of interest

A radical approach would be to only have two main tables - one for actors, one for crew (maybe in xMM 10)

3. Details: Studio and Distributor need multiple fields like cast&crew, number of awards can be listed in awards field above the awards list

4. Video: the most ugly window in the whole program. Many fields are obsolte, other need dropdown menue. Movie features can shifted to this tab as all items are related to video stream. For better separation of movie feature items user should be able to set a separator (thin line, empty line) to group items that belong together.

5. Audio: possibility to add an audio stream manually, original language shifted from details; now all language and audio related items are concentrated in one tab.

6. DVD/VHS: some more dropdown menues for the fields are highly recommended; import of features from xMM7 is not possible to the new field construction. And this field is only useful for standard features. Special, features, gadget, easter eggs and other info should be collected in a new "extra" field (like for the boxsets in xMM7)

7. Personal: gift checkbox is placed where it belongs to; seen date is a multiple field as I like to watch my favourite movies more than one time. In future there should be a counter in statistic to show the movies I watched most.

Bye Byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kirill2785 Posted - 14 Jul 2013 : 20:44:53
Seriously, the rearengement/correct arrangment of the fields is the most imported thing in XMM, unfortunatle it hasn't changed with Ver 8.
i hope the next version will be different as i lost faith there will be any change in 8, this is the fundamental core of xmm.
Alessio Viti Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 19:50:25
quote:
Originally posted by Mawu

quote:
So, as you seem to have more leverage here, I hope you can push these three issues as well.

I'm not sure if there is so much credit left after my criticism the last months.

Hello Mawu,

You know that I love you

Seriously, I always appreciate your critics, the only problem is that some of your ideas are really good, but terribly to develop for me.

Ale
apd Posted - 02 Apr 2013 : 11:47:03
quote:
Originally posted by Mawu
I'm not sure if there is so much credit left after my criticism the last months.

/Howling wolf voice mode/ I know the feeling
Mawu Posted - 02 Apr 2013 : 11:18:36
quote:
So, as you seem to have more leverage here, I hope you can push these three issues as well.

yan00s Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 16:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by apd

General tips: In v8 manual editing is slooooow:
(1)The Add Director/Writer/Editor/Musician etc takes forever to open the Add People window (13 seconds every time!)
(2)The tick boxes need one click to select, a second one to tick - why not just one?
(3)The Edit File in "Files" does not remember the last folder used. If you change folder, the next time you use it it reverts to the original.

(1)
That's by design (TM) ... as you may have noticed there's a typeahead function included. Obviously it gets populated on access and this can take a while. For approx. 32,000 artist entries it takes 7 sec. here - with an empty db the Add artist window just opens without delay.

I'm pretty sure that the current implementation uses some DevExpress built-in functionality which would have to be replaced / tweaked to work on a "global" level instead of getting invoked every time one adds an artist.

(2) That's true for boxes in multi-select fields only and for multiple selects it's acceptable I think. You can navigate / select with key up/down + space quite easily.

(3) Agreed.
JDommi Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 14:34:16
Everybody in here has the same leverage, apd. The only one who is more equal is Ale

So we all have to wait for the Godfather of XMM
apd Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 13:26:43
OK, I'm glad we agree on something and that we can focus on what's important. After all, what we're all rooting for is a better XMM.

Mawu Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 11:55:00
@JDommi

You are right. I don't really understand this discussion, too. And we are talking only about the edit window. When I select a movie to watch I use the search, filters, treeview etc. and not the edit window. Here xMM behaves now like nearly every movie manager on this planet (and dvd/blu-ray related internet databases) where audio/language is placed side by side with the subtitles.

For studio/distributor you are right apd. Main tab or cast&crew tab would be better for this two fields.

My intention to "bump up" this old topic is that some more basic things discussed in this thread haven't been implemented by Alessio until now:
- Media Language, Media Label and (Number of) Disks are still existing as data field doublettes in video tab.They are already available in audio and/or disks tab
- there is no possibility to add audiostreams manually, it's only possible to delete them
- dvd features import from xMM7 doesn't work, also import via script, because the features field only contains checkboxes; The only possible workflow: we get an extras field, import the features info from xMM7 into that field and edit the feature checkboxes manually. The feature checkboxes are nice to list and filter according to standard dvd features (scene access, audio commentary)but for unique extras this additional field would be better
- nice but not essential: currencies for purchase price, multiple entries for "seen when", "gift" checkbox to mark movies that I have got as a gift (this should be in the personal tab and not in the film features list in the video tab), optical improvement in the edit window like justifying the arrangement of the data fields or smaller add/edit/delete panels
- All things concerning the crappy box set implementation I will discuss in an own thread

@apd

With your last three topic you are completely right, I can reproduce that. I didn't realize this before because until now I didn't use the manual edit. It's really slow even with my iCore7.

apd Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 11:23:20
I agree it's a silly discussion. As I said I can see Mawu's logic, I just beg to differ. But you don't seem to let me

Besides, how the fields are organised in tabs is totally unimportant. For example, the fields Studio and Distributor have no logical place next to Plot, Comments and Tagline; but there's no point in having 50 tabs, just to have a clean logical scheme.

As I also connoted earlier, this would have never been an issue, if we had that fabulous Quick Edit of v7 available in the first place. For me, the most important issue is speed of editing. So, to discuss something more serious, could someone please offer their insight regarding the three issues I raised at the end of my original post?
JDommi Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 10:14:25
Silly discussion *lol*
I always watch movies in my native language. If there is a movie that's not german (or english) I'd take the one with german subtitles. Therefor: if foreign audio -> have a look at the subtitles.
Subtitles are (only) a substitute for audio and belongs to this tab. Even if it seems to be an essential info to you.
Another good example is 3D. It's really an important info as not everybody has a 3D-TV but it belongs to the Video tab...
apd Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 01:14:51
To me, subs is an indicator by which, when I have friends here, they can choose or reject a film to watch.

The fact that a japanese film may have spanish subs available has nothing to do with the original language or with the film itself - it's as irrelevant as the media on which it is stored. But it's a critical marker that I like to keep available at close reach.

Mawu Posted - 01 Apr 2013 : 00:24:48
quote:
I can see your logic, but for me "subtitles" has absolutely nothing to do with "Audio".

For me the subtitles are strongly related to the audio streams respectively to the original/media languages. Therefore it should be arranged together (like in other popular movie managers like DVD-Profiler). The whole arrangement of the data fields is not necessarily my personal taste, e.g. I always liked to have the b&w/color info in the main tab, but for me it's now the most comprehensible. BTW: In xmm7 I don't use the edit window very often. Most of the time I edit data in the customized quick edit.
apd Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 23:06:08
I can see your logic, but for me "subtitles" has absolutely nothing to do with "Audio".

Anyway, thanks for supporting the request for the good old quick edit.

BTW, Am I the only one to get such a slow response from XMM8?
Mawu Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 22:17:38
@apd

I like the subtitles field where it is. Now really all audio/language related info (language, subtitles, audio streams, sountrack listing) is listed in an own tab and not randomly distributed over several tabs. For me the clear separation of video and audio info also makes sense.
As a reasonable compromise there should be - as you've suggested - the comeback of the full-featured old quickedit from xMM7, where you can make a custom re-arrangement of the data fields.
apd Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 20:41:20
This thread was active when I had no time for XMM and I missed completely, so here are some belated comments.

For me the most common manual edit is "Subtitles", so I would need it to be in the Main page. Here's a suggestion for a more compact look, with the most necessary info in the Main Page.

This way, the two remaining Data in "Audio" could be combined with the "Video" page for less clicking around.

I agree about the size of fields in "Details". The Tagline rarely needs more than one line of this width. The comments and reviews need at least 3-4 lines. Maybe the fields Studio and Distributor could be moved to "Details 2" to allow for more space.

Most important: I would love a good version of the user definable Quick Edit. In v7 I customised it to my needs and almost never had to use the Edit window.

General tips: In v8 manual editing is slooooow:
The Add Director/Writer/Editor/Musician etc takes forever to open the Add People window (13 seconds every time!)
The tick boxes need one click to select, a second one to tick - why not just one?
The Edit File in "Files" does not remember the last folder used. If you change folder, the next time you use it it reverts to the original.
Mawu Posted - 30 Mar 2013 : 21:10:03
Bump!!! There are still many things that were discussed here and are missing in the newest xMM version.
Mawu Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 10:45:26
Media Language, Media Label and (Number of) Disks are still existing as data field doublettes in video tab.They are already available in audio and/or disks tab.
JDommi Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 10:04:29
Please Ale, don't add so much new stuff until the actual bugs are still not all fixed!
Only thing that would be great is to go back to a separate BoxSet table like in XMM7 was.
Alessio Viti Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 06:58:18
Hello,

There isn't a table for Rippers right now, I will try to add one in future.

Thank you!

Ale
nehickel Posted - 14 Dec 2012 : 06:06:11
I would like to add one suggestion to this very nice work. On the Video tab I would like to have the Ripper Filed be a drop down box. This is because there are different types of Rippers for DVD & Blu-Ray, Screen DRM and so on as well as different rippers within those groups. I currently have 5 different Rippers with each having various version levels with different capabilities.

With the price of portable hard drives falling through the floor and their sizes growing rapidly, I have all of my Movies, TV Shows, Trailers and other assorted media stored on my Hard Drives. Having this field being a drop down box would greatly enhance XMMs usefulness.

Thanks,
Norm

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07