BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Suggestions / New Features
 Renaming Movie Files - Auto-sort into Dirs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fluke2097 Posted - 19 Aug 2008 : 23:51:05
Hello,
First I'd like to say thanks for providing this excellent software. This is the only Movie Manager that I have been able to find that reads movies off your HD and also fetches info off the web, for that ability I applaud you .
I would like to request that XMM be able to sort movie files into directories. I would really like to be able to sort out my movies on my hard drive by genre, so that I have a directory for Action, a directory for Sci-Fi, a directory for Thrillers and so on. As far as I can tell, the program doesn't want to restructure directories. Whenever I try to run Tools -> Collection Maintenance -> Rename Movie Files..., it just sorts them in the original directory they came from. I'm trying to use this mask: "E:\Movies\<GENRE>\<TITLE> (<YEAR>) [<DIRECTOR>, <COUNTRY>]", but it just renames the file to "E__Movies_Horror_Carnival of Souls (1962) [Herk Harvey, USA].mp4" in the same directory that it originally was in. Any help would be greatly appreciated
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Myron Posted - 05 Aug 2010 : 19:57:32
*bump*
2 Yers later, the request would be really useful for me now *g

Since all of the Mediacanters like WMC or XBMC need the files in one folder, it would be really nice to have such a feature.
Changeing this with tools in explorer is not the problem; the problem is the XMM DB update..

The Mediabrowser plugin creates such nice Folders (although with ID in it?!); how about expanding this feature and move all the files into it?!
(let the user specify WHERE to store the output files and MOVE everything there, and update the DB for new storage location)

Or is this already working somehow, and i didn't find it yet?!
ComZiz Posted - 25 Aug 2008 : 17:26:49
Well... Hope he adds this feature then... :)
fluke2097 Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 20:36:10
I understand your interest in having other bugs filled before the one I posted, and I'm sure there are more important things that need attention, but like you said, ain't nothin' wrong with adding to the wish list .

Although, just to play Devil's Advocate, I'm not sure if it would be very difficult to add directory support through explorer (although, I am not a programmer, so I could be very wrong on this note). My thoughts behind that opinion are that XMM already interacts with explorer in some fashion to rename files, so perhaps it would be as simple as defining "/" as a "create new folder" function, but like I said, I'm no programmer, so I am pretty much just taking a wild shot in the dark.

And you're totally right about the genres that XMM takes from IMDB or any other site. They are all over the place, but I would not be opposed to manually entering my own genres. Now, I know what you're gonna say, "Well, if you will manually enter the genres, why not manually make the folders?" The reason I'd like to have the program do it is that if I move the files, then XMM loses the connection to the file and I either have to re-connect the media or re-import and fetch all the info from the internet again, which is not ideal.

As for other media managers out there, I've used a few. It seems that most of the movie managers out there are geared for DVDs and physical media. What I like about XMM is that it will work with the files on my hard drive. The only other movie managers I have found that will rename and work with files on the hard drive have limited - or no - internet fetching capability. Two other programs that I have used in the past that almost worked for my purposes were ReNamer and MediaMonkey. I really like ReNamer's renaming capabilities (who'd have thought with a name like that). It uses string functions, similar to those found in XMM to rename and reorganize any type of file. Problem with ReNamer is that it is simply designed to handle files, it makes no distinction between movies, music, and word docs, so obviously there is no IMDB lookup. As for MediaMonkey, it also does a great job of renaming and organizing digital media based on tags and strings, very much like XMM or iTunes does. The problem with XMM is that it is designed specifically for music. While it will allow importing of video files (with the help of a plug-in), the only internet fetching ability that MediaMonkey has goes to Amazon's CD section, which is not very helpful when dealing with movies.

If you do know any other programs that do rename based on tags and fetch from IMDB/DVD Empire, I'd be open to trying them, but I do like XMM's functionality and would love to keep using it.

So, I'd love to see this functionality added to XMM. I think that XMM is a great program and I love the library-style management through the program itself, it is just a nuisance that right now I have to have my movies lumped into one big directory.
ComZiz Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 13:09:20
Even it would be wonderful to recieve such a new feature like this, I think commanding windows explorer (creating folders, renaming etc.) is not in this software's obligatory nor responsibility also it should be very hard. I think Alessio should work on already existing bugs and such instead of integrating possible new bugs. But hey, this is the wishlist forum right?!

Also, if I may tell my humble opinion; the movies can have various genres like action AND drama or Comedy and Sci-Fi etc. So categorizing them in one genre may not do the thing in the long period of time and with lots and lots of movies. Personally I do them chronological since everything depends on time (Styles, Actors, Directors and even Genres etc.).

But of course, people have their own way. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

Anyways, take care, good luck

Erke

PS: There are other softwares out there (Right now I cannot name one) which do thing you need with multimedia collections.

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07