BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Information
 Completely lost ...and totaly frustrated

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yovinny Posted - 16 Oct 2010 : 15:45:11
I am not new to computers at all been an avid user for years but I feel like throwing in the towel on this one because I just don't get it. I know what the software does I just can't figure out how to get it to do what it is designed to do.

I tried to read the documentation but just my luck the section that I am interested in is not done yet. Second I am a computer user not a programmer so even after reading what I could it didn't make much sense to me I thought this was going to make things easier for me instead I find myself yelling at the computer because I can't figure it out. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to take the TV series that I have on my HD and put them into Media Browser. I know movies each need a folder but what about TV episodes? I have hundreds of episodes on my HD do I need to enter each episode one at a time because if I do then forget about it. How do I dump a folder full of episodes into the software to get the data I want? And where exactly does that data go? I keep getting a pop-up about new files to add but It seems to be the dame ones and it wants to join my tv episodes when it finds them. Do I have to rename the episodes before a special way? Once the data is Downloaded is it keeping it or does it reload from the internet every time because I don't have a fast connection in fact I had problems doing the update so now I am just downloading the software again from the page and its going to take close to 2 hours to DL it and I just hope then it works.

Programmers and webmasters have this notion that everybody has High speed access well I don't so its a nightmare trying to figure how to use software that has no attached documentation and the time involved top locate answers using online documentation takes forever when its seems it is never on the page your on and when you do get that page to load the real frustration is you just don't understand it.

Like the scripts thing don't have a clue at all what I need to go with there are just too many of them to choose from. I just want the poster and basic info don't care about the bar code or the name of the writer or who the caterer was. I just want the basic stuff you would find on a DVD case thats it but I don't want to add it one at a time I have too many to do that.

Great my DL just crashed looks like the 90min DL needs to be started again. I someone can help me that would be great if not then its just not in the cards for me. This has been a horrible year for me seems like everything that can go wrong has for me has and this is the only enjoyment I have left I just would really like to have one thing work and go right for me before I lose my mind. Thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yovinny Posted - 07 Nov 2010 : 17:28:10
Thanks guys for the support I think I got some of it sorted out still working on the connection thing was ready to have service put in I was going to go with that naked DSL where its just the DSL service without the phone because I have a cell phone that does it all no need for land line but ATT seems not to like that so they wont let the installers put it in without the land line I don't need but if I want to pay 3X the price ATT can do it if they install. Such BS I don't get it but still looking at options.

I got a dumb question because I have to go the trial and error method to figure some of this out I make a mistake or two (lol) so I created some databases and tried to separate some things not for everyday use (ie: pron) some of it got mixed in with my database of movies so I deleted the DB but for some reason in Media Browser no matter what I do it just reappears again. Is there a trick to this because I must be doing something wrong.

One other thing about TV shows I love animation so I have every Family Guy, Venture Brothers, Simpsons, etc. when you set these up do you put each episode in a separate folder like w/movies or by season which seems make more sense. I feel dumb asking but that part of the guide isn't completed yet. And do any of you know if there is a way to play back to back episodes with Media Browser like a play list so you don't have to stop and open a new one at the end of an episode? I feel dumb asking but with the bleak job market I do now spend more time playing with this software because I am determined to figure this out because I think its great and I know it can do so much more that I have yet to discover.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
JustME Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 00:32:19
email me and I will gladly send you the latest updated exe and you can reinstall if you want.....any time :-) for what it is worth, the TV shows are proving to be a frustration for me too, so skip them for now.
Try out the movies first to get an idea of how it works.
For mine, I have a folder named the same as the movie, then the movie inside it with a link to the imdb site. (I do that to get info if browsing the drive. there is also a feature to copy the image to this directory within EMM so if you are using WD player with it, the picture shows up.
Basically create a database with a relevant name and then go to the "add movies to your collection" from the drop down and get it to look in a folder.
It will give you a list and you can then add them....highlight all and then pick update with the right mouse and select your favourite update script....now, there are lots of changes so make sure you do the update first. Go to help and use the live update. Make sure you just get the scripts that you need so it won't be too big a download. I use the IMDB complete, but the fastest would work for you best.
Go in the settings and deselect the "extras" you don't need....so make your basic database with names and minimal info, and then when you can get a fast connection, get all the other details!
Does that help at all? All your images go into a similar folder name structure too, so create the database with a name you like and see how it is setup on your drive after creating the first one.
apd Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 23:15:50
Sorry for you losing your job, but on the bright side, you have plenty of time for XMM, don't you? :)
(Apologies if you consider this a bad joke)

Maybe you should try starting with just a few movies and series and fool around learning the ropes like the rest of us did. Do not start building you dbase right away, because it's easy to realize a little later that you've made some critical mistake and you need to start over.

All in all, your observations are correct. This is a great program; and it still needs a lot of work :)
yovinny Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 08:58:38
Thanks JustMe for the offer but I have all of that installed already the system is a beast its fully loaded with a AMD six core CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, 12GB DDR3, and 8 TB of storage etc. I just built it not long ago it runs fine its the connection that blows and that's the problem and I am aware of it. Trying to get that corrected but its all about time and $$$ right now and the $ are thin now since I lost my job of 8 years to a computer automated process so as you might see programmers are not to high on my buddy list (no offense to present company)

I had high speed before but at close to $100 a month it just did not factor into the budget after losing my job so you can imagine the madness I have to go from lightning fast to snails pace. I'm looking into this Naked DSL as a option and hope to make the change because this is a nightmare.

I'm not looking for a refund and I have no interest in one at all. I think the program is great at least it appears to be. Its laid out well and very feature packed. I would not have bought it if it wasn't. I guess my main frustration lies with what seams to be a common trend these days to have software with loads of features but there is very little documentation available if any on how to use these features. Then your left to hunt it down in a forum and hope you find it. All this could be resolved with a simple PDF file or a help section within the software itself that can cover the main basics the for unusual a forum is fine. I guess this is what they call progress or else i'm too "Old School".

I like the direction the documentation is going and I know its a "work in progress" but for me I can't figure out the scripts and how to use them properly and I have hundreds of TV episodes on my HD that I cant figure out how to use the program to get the information I wanted or something simple as how to set them up for the program ie: file structure etc so I can view then in Media Browser. It seems they would be handled differently than with the movies. Another thing is where are all these images going and why are they not in the folder with the movie. I have lots of little questions that could IMO be easily be answered with a little documentation that I could download.

I have basically given up on this for now. Maybe it will be easy in the future but it looks like I will have to wait and see because with too many options come the potential for too much confusion.

Thanks again
JustME Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 22:53:28
There are some prerequisites that have to be installed first such as the DotNet framework if memory serves me correctly.
Drop me an email
gillbates123____@_____msn.com (remove the underscores) and I will copy the latest version of EMM to a CD for you and mail it to you....and the DotNet framework as you need it too if you want.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

nehickel Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 05:11:50
I would first recommend that you figure out why it took 3 1/2 hours to download the software. That's highly unusal and with that kind of time your bound to get bad packets. Where are you physically located and perhaps I can get it to a download area a little closer.

I'd then remove what you have and re-install XMM again. Until you can run it without errors or crashing, there's no use going any further. What kind of computer do you have and what is the operating system & version? Second, what do you typically use your computer for? Any special software on it? I'm trying to understand if there are conflicts that may occur when running applications that could step on one another.

And, you are correct, documentation is not its strong suit however it is the best product I've ever purchased for this type of work. Alessio is one of the few developer's who 'does it all' and 'does it fast' so the product is always getting better on a day to day basis. But if your willing to put in the time and effort to learn the application (and after 3 years, I'm still learning things it can do that I never even new about) you won't be disappointed. But initially getting started does take a little effort. In fact, my reason for buying this product was because I had TV shows I wanted cataloged but now I've also got a huge collection of movies and I've written some templates so I can see my XMM information on my Android phone, my pocketpc. All of this I learned by spending time on the forum and playing with the application.

Later,
Norm
Alessio Viti Posted - 18 Oct 2010 : 09:58:59
OK, Just write me an email, I will refund you...
yovinny Posted - 18 Oct 2010 : 06:02:01
After 3 1/2 hours download time for the latest version it would not install!!!! I get Fatal error CLR error: 80004005 The program will now terminate. Now when you consider it took me 3 1/2 hours to DL about 57MB do you think that I am going to be able to stream video? As I said I do not have a high speed connection (not everyone does) I purchased the software ($21.00+ US dollars) worked ok then it crashed could not update so I downloaded the latest version it took 3&1/2 hours to DL then I got the error message listed above Im stumped on this one I can not open or use or even figure out at all what the problem is and I am not a noob to computers. So what should I do?? And I cant stream video or make heads or tails of your documentation. I feel totally stupid because this seems like it should be straight forward. As to the folder structure you asked about I am using Media Browser my movies are in individual folders and my TV episodes are in folders by season "name/season/episode/title" is what I would like to DL with some pictures or some Fan Art but I don't want to do it one at a time because I have for example 187 episodes of one program alone.And YES I already know I need faster internet but this is the best I can do for now because of 3 months no work.
yovinny Posted - 18 Oct 2010 : 06:00:57
After 3 1/2 hours download time for the latest version it would not install!!!! I get Fatal error CLR error: 80004005 The program will now terminate. Now when you consider it took me 3 1/2 hours to DL about 57MB do you think that I am going to be able to stream video? As I said I do not have a high speed connection (not everyone does) I purchased the software ($21.00+ US dollars) worked ok then it crashed could not update so I downloaded the latest version it took 3&1/2 hours to DL then I got the error message listed above Im stumped on this one I can not open or use or even figure out at all what the problem is and I am not a noob to computers. So what should I do?? And I cant stream video or make heads or tails of your documentation. I feel totally stupid because this seems like it should be straight forward. As to the folder structure you asked about I am using Media Browser my movies are in individual folders and my TV episodes are in folders by season "name/season/episode/title" is what I would like to DL with some pictures or some Fan Art but I don't want to do it one at a time because I have for example 187 episodes of one program alone.And YES I already know I need faster internet but this is the best I can do for now because of 3 months no work.
Alessio Viti Posted - 16 Oct 2010 : 18:09:53
Hello,

I am sorry you have all these problems in adding TV Shows.

Please let me know how the files are organized in your Hard Disk.

Meantime take a look to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozVhum-K2w

Ale

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07