Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Unicode discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Apolitosz
Starting Member

Hungary
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  00:31:04  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi everyone

I'm new to this community, I've just recently found this great program.

I started to play with it and I ran into a problem when I've worked with Unicode characters. I've searched through the forum and I found out that it is a quite common problem. Since I haven't found a topic dedicated to this issue I decided to open this one.

I will try to keep this post up-to-date (since this is my very first post, I don't know if I have the right to edit my post - ok, I can edit it ) with the findings and the status.

Where it works (at least for me, correct me if I'm wrong):
- Grid view / Thumbnail view
- Movie card
- Edit movie dialog

Where it needs to be fixed:
- Script editor (both editor section and directlinks tab)
- ScriptEngine status dialog, direclinks tab

Everyone,
please report here your findings too

Alession,
if you need I can provide screenshots. Please let me know what is the priority of this issue on your end. If you need any help from me I'm happy to cooperate

This Unicode support is a key feature for as I'm from Hungary and I want to manage my collection with their hungarian title. For this to achieve I've already started to write a script for port.hu, the biggest online hungarian movie database (the CREATEMOVIELIST block is already done). Once it's done I plan to translate the software itself. (of course I'm gonna publish both when it's done)

Regards,
Apolitosz

Edited by - Apolitosz on 28 Dec 2012 00:33:54

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  02:16:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Apolitosz

Where it works (at least for me, correct me if I'm wrong):
- Grid view / Thumbnail view
- Movie card
- Edit movie dialog

Movie Card: It works well as long as you stay within your current regions' / language standard windows codepage.

It's not possible to "mix" different language families like Latin and Cyrillic. It's not a problem of the database itself but of the logic which XMM uses to retrieve field values and deliver them to HTML card fields. It's probably the same logic which gets used for NFO export which doesn't support Unicode yet too.

quote:
Originally posted by Apolitosz

Where it needs to be fixed:
- Script editor (both editor section and directlinks tab)
- ScriptEngine status dialog, direclinks tab

As already mentioned: it doesn't work for NFO export.

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  21:20:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, but this is (almost) 2013. There is no "logic" in NOT supporting Unicode properly. Ale has acknowledged for years the need to address this issue, but it always seems to be a lesser priority than adding bells and whistles. This, and some other important issues, should have been resolved once and for all in v.7.x.x.x or at least before v.8 was rolled out.

Happy new year to all. Let's hope it's the year that XMM discovers unicode. :)

Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  22:48:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

Happy new year to all. Let's hope it's the year that XMM discovers unicode. :)

A happy new year from me too. To be fair: lets wish that XMM will soon support Unicode fully. The database is ready for it and most of the display stuff seems to be there too.

While it's hopefully not such big a task for exporting values from the database to HTML (cards) or (I)nfo files I suppose it will take (a lot?) more time - and testing - for importing stuff from the web.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.12 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07