Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Nothing visible in columns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  21:14:23  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I had movies showing fine but my actors had NOTHING visible in the columns.
I rebooted and now have nothing visible in my grid for movies either?
It also is taking an incredible long time to reload.
On reboot the movies are fine but nothing for columns in actors.
there are 140,000 actors in that database so it may be a bit of work for it to show but it should still display?
Under the column chooser it only shows a few of the columns available so it is a display issue.
Interestingly it is only the grid view as the thumbnails for movies always show.
I will do a reinstall which will probably resolve :-)

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  04:00:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Still cannot see any actors listed under people. The grid is completely blank
Clicking on duplicate name it shows an error on the bottom 91-Object not referenced but it slowly starts to create the filter and then will spawn the memory error.
Does anyone know the line in the config file to reset to get the grid view reset to normal?
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  04:16:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So as you see I don't even have the options to bring it back (and I reset my view already)

options

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  08:17:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK, close XMM and delete manually these files in the Layouts folder:

GridMainMoviesView1.xml
GridPeople.xml

Launch XMM and let me know.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  12:35:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
:-)
That fixed it :-)
Now just to clean up all the columns that I don't need and continue on populating all the actors info
thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  12:40:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I spoke too soon, the actors are fixed but now I am missing columns in the movie grid? EVERY column is loaded but I am missing a couple critical ones like Title etc LOL

Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  13:04:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So after installing the update I tried again and still don't have all the columns available to me. Some I would like to have, and some I really need.
The title of the movie is one column that I think should be available for the movie grid....
I removed all the columns from the visible grid so they are back in the pick list and as you can see they are not all there.
How can I reset this so I can pick the columns for both the movie grid and the actors grid?

Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  13:05:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The first is the options for movies and the second is the options for people....
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  13:34:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK, delete ALL files in the Layouts folder (maybe make a backup of it).

Then launch XMM again, you should receive an error message about that, ignore and continue.

Let me know!

Ale

Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  14:35:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That appeared to fix it.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  16:18:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You are welcome!

Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  19:04:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
so it reoccurred and deleting the layout and loading the default one is not bringing back my movie columns (my people still didn't work but that I thought was inconsequential).
If I open the thumbnails, I can open a card and see all the details, and I can also open a movie from the grid view but just don't see the columns I need. I removed all the columns and here is the list of available columns.
Any idea what I should do to get the column availability back as having the title back at least would be good :-)?
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  15:33:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And the example database does the same so it is in the configuration of the application.
Numerous uninstalls and reinstall's don't help :-(
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  15:59:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So uninstalled the application and rebooted, reinstalled as administrator and ran it and had all my columns, Uninstalled and reinstalled as user. Had all my columns, exited the program and restarted and lost them all again...so it is something being saved in my configuration that is not allowing me to see all the columns.
If anyone has any idea how I could set that so I can see all my columns and save that layout it would be appreciated!
I deleted the contents of the layout folder again and have it working as long as I don't exit the program....
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  23:27:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm not sure if this helps but now I believe to see the pattern here:

The grid somehow can't get hold of the fields which reside in the associated base table (Movies Grid -> table: movies / People Grid -> table: people). To create the grid content XMM needs to peform some database requests and part of the (initial) result set seem to get lost on the way. I assume for movies the grid tries something like this:

- question database / movie table for all fields
-- get the data (rows)
- check for which of my (the grids' that is) columns Ale told me to grab data from additional tables (like: Status table for StatusDescription column, MovieFilesLinks for File1 and People for Director)
-- get this additional data and sort it into the right grid rows
- build the grid content and
-- finally show it

For reasons not known to regular mortals (= non-developers) this seems not work in your case. Or only partly.

Since you say it was perfectly fine while you've been Administrator I wonder if you let XMM run with administrative rights when you start it as a Normal user? Because I think this will come down as a permission problem. XMM / one of the operations it or one of its components performs in between has not enough rights to actually do the job. It may help if you give some more detail about the setup in regard of permissions:

- where is XMM installed
- where are the folders located XMM need to access
- who has which permissions to these folders

If possible in your environment you could try the following:

- give all users who will run XMM8 full permissions on XMM8's program folder (including subdirectories).

- Set XMM to be run as Administrator --> All Users.

If you want you could try this in variations. Then begin with the "Administrative rights for all users" setting.

(Or wait for a version which will fully support UAC ... may take a few days .)

Edited by - yan00s on 14 Jan 2013 23:30:02
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  14:19:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yep, definitely think it is a permission issue too, Now Win7 has always been a little flaky with permissions too :-( . The user is a member of the administrators group so he "should" inherit permissions from that group allowing him R\W on all those files.
I could just give the user full control over those folders and subfolders but I would prefer that Ale incorporates the fix for the permissions problems in the app. If memory serves me correctly we had issues on Vista also with Ver7 and we just bypassed that by running as administrator.
My database is on a second drive that all users have full control of.
The install is on my C:\ drive under username\Documents and I haven't modified any permissions on it.
I will wait until Ale's next release in case the problem is rectified though. Just changing permissions on it will fix my errors, but doesn't provide a solution to the problem.
Ale should be able to add code or script a change to apply permissions to the application folder and subfolders.
Once that is done, I can manually rerun the permissions on the database folder to ensure that it is correct too.
Thanks for the help!
(for now I am going to share my database folder with the homegroup and give them read\write permissions which should alleviate any database permission issues too)

Edited by - JustME on 15 Jan 2013 16:51:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.2 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07