Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 scanning folders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  11:05:49  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I must admit that the more I use v8 the more I like it, but there's so much work to be done. The biggest problem for me right now is scanning disks and here's why:

I keep my movies in ext. disks and sorted in ~30 folders (US, Euro, Docus, Music etc). I want to select manually which folder to update. As it is now, I have to Add and Remove folders. It would be much simpler if I had a checklist with my preselected folders available in the main scanning window and just ticked the one I want to rescan.
Please note that when working with a large db imported from v7, adding a new location in the scanner takes too long - I can see the tree refreshing in the main window for ~15 seconds every time I remove a folder and add a new one. It is totally impractical if one has to do it often.

The second issue is related to a request I have made ever since v.4. I keep all my movies named "Director - Title - Year.SUBLANG.extension". I would very much like it if XMM could fill in the proper fields reading the filename. It does it already with TV eps, why not with movies?

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  08:06:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So? No comment on these?
Go to Top of Page

nehickel

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Visit nehickel's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think the lack of responses may be based on the extreme uniqueness of your approach to Movie naming and folder/file structure. It's truly one-of-a-kind and hard to implement a solution for a single user. I know this because I had to redo my approach to a more standard one in order to fully utilize XMM's features & functions.

What you need look into is something like symbolic links (Unix) a.k.a. ShortCuts (Windows). You might be able to create a virtual structure where your ext. drives are virtually attached under a main physical folder. That 'might' address the structure issue but the naming issue is far more complicated and may require a freeware file renaming application. There's a couple I can recommend if your interested (send me email via my profile).

Good Luck,
Norm
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  07:52:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
First of all, thanks for hearing me. :)

Second, I don't think I'm asking for smth weird - XMM already has a routine to "deduce" TV ep names; I only suggested that it should cover movies too. Plus, it's a feature common in most music library SW out there.

As for the structure thing, I wouldn't mind adding folders one by one in my list; but so far the Scanner keeps refinding the films I've already imported, taking ages, plus I have extra work to deselect them etc.
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  08:29:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Alessio. Now that you're back, could you take a look and comment at this thread too?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.12 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07