Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 EMM7 and EMM8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  02:14:00  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I opened my EMM7 database in EMMM8 and allowed it to convert it. Didn't do the actors and now to update the actors its about 8 hours to do 50 of them and I have 5,000 so I am going to stay with EMM 7 for a while and play with 8 on another PC.
Question, can I still use my EMM7 database (that was converted by EMM8)with EMM7? it apparently just changed it as I never had an option to save it as a different database :-(

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  07:54:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If all else fails, you could you use a recent backup from the backups folder in XMM 7.

But if I'm not wrong, your original 7 db should still be in its place, unchanged.

Edited by - apd on 15 Mar 2013 08:17:17
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  10:47:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, the original 7. database remains as is. The converted one is completely stored in the "fixed" path inside XMM8 folder. Of course you can move it after conversion elsewhere.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  12:35:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks. I was debating on saving a copy of it in different directory (my original testing months back had 2 seperate directories for EMM 7 and 8 data) and I thought that it might still be required.
Because it has the seperate folder structures for covers etc I didn't want to do that, but I can easily just uninstall my EMM 8 and on the next install setup seperate directories again.
I really like the added features of EMM8 but I have EMM7 working very well for me know so I don't want to commit to 8 fully yet.
scripts seem to work with both just as well too!
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  21:54:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi
The fact that loading data into V7 from IMDB is increasingly flakey means I'm reluctantly moving to version 8. I had one go at converting the database (no actors as advised) and it was fine except that some data seems to go missing.

For example, the filenames are no longer displayed anywhere that I can see neither are the codecs.

There were some options relating to custom fields so maybe I can persuade the conversion to put some of this data in these fields? But how?

So three questions:
1. Where can I find which fields from the V7 database are NOT taken not the V8 database?

2. How do I tell the conversion to put this data in a custom field?

3. If I do not import actors, how long will it take to get that database created from the web? The suggestion from another poster was 50 actors in several hours. For me that means several weeks (5000 movies with actors) so surely it is better to convert the actors?

Oh dear. I have just gone back to get XMM7 running again (because I cant change until these various issues (and probably others) are resolved. And the XMM7 databases are not there. Presumably screwed by the conversion? Good job I took a copy.

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 29 Jan 2014 22:09:05
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  00:19:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1. The filenames and the codecs I didn't recognize as my X7 database didn't have any. In fact I didn't have recognized any missing fields that I use.

2. Only the old "fixed" custom fields related to IMDB (top 100, release date, etc.) can be selected to go to the new IMDB fields or stay in the custom fields.

3. Well, I have re-imported all movies (only the actors part!) as XMM 8 imports now more people except only actors and directors. For about 20,000 people I have needed 15 to 20 hours - haven't checked the time.

And don't worry about the conversion. Your old XMM 7 database stays unchanged! The converted one will be stored in the database folder of release 8.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  11:25:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

First of all, its not possible that the conversion "destroy" the old database v7. XMM 8 just open it in reading mode, do not write nothing inside. Strange.

About the filename and codecs... what do you mean exactly, that you are not abe to see it inside the grid?

You are right about the Actor importing, it takes a long time, but you can still decide to import from V7, its working also this.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  10:16:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,
1. Well I didn't look very carefully but . . . .
After conversion, I started up XMM7 and it couldn't find the database. (its database sits on a different drive from the default drive for XMM8).I have to do it again for actors so I will look more carefully

2. XMM has movie file 1 - 6 and trailer 1 - 2. Important to me since many of my movies are MPEG-4. The data gets moved to the database but I am unable to find the data in any of the quickedit or display screens.

3 The recommendation (i read somewhere) is not to import actors because it will be quicker if you let XMM8 do it. You might want to change that!!!

over 2 mins for a single movie is much longer than XMM7 use to take. Disappointing but not critical.

Looks like it will take a week or so to reimport everything - assuming everything works continuously for a week!!

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07