Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Some script engines overwite the titel field
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

hotshot14167
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  23:44:12  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi again,
now I found a new master bug. Some script engines overwrites the original title field.
Here see an example:
On my HardDisk the Movie title is named:
Jerry Lewis - Der Geisha Boy 1958

The automatic script engine runs and found no information.

Now I use the script:

And here see;

The script has complete change my original title!!!!!!

aggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

No go no go no go.
This is my data never change may data!!!!
I can never find on my devices the entry!!!

Regards
Stephan

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  00:15:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Have you checked the options? You can prevent scripts from doing "evil" things by

- setting global MagicSript options to not overwrite existing fields
- for scripts that support it (like IMDB scripts) to individually set the fields you want to import (via MagicScript Manager).

One major + of XMM is that you can tweak a bunch of things. At first, this may look a bit like a caveat (Hey! That button doesn't do what I thought it would) but over the time you gonna like it - if you really want to manage your collection, that is.

Summary: if the script changed your title than chances are high that you told it to do so - or simply didn't prevent it. ;)

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  09:38:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The problem, esp. for new users, is that the lack of a manual and "balloon help" means they have no way of knowing the multiple options of XMM - in many cases, they learn them the hard way and when it is too late. If one selects options in a script, how can they imagine there is an overriding option somewhere else?

Right now, the import procedure and MS engine start automatically, with rather aggressive defaults, and we have seen many posts with the problems this causes. I think XMM should default to the least destructive options, so that one wouldn't ruin their db because of ignorance.

It would also really help if all related options were gathered together in one place. It is misleading to have "Put AKA Title" etc inside the script, but "Import Movie Title" in the MS Options. It would be safer if the separate script options were a subcategory of Magic Script pane, so that one has a logical progress of choices to make. And of course, balloon help for each tickbox would be very welcome.

I know all this is hard work. But as v8 is being redesigned and as more newcomers are drawn to XMM, it should reflect their needs. Plus, there's nothing wrong with keyboard shcuts for older users to access the advanced/specific settings directly.

Go to Top of Page

hotshot14167
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi @ all,
tank's for the quick answers. Problem solved, thanks.

This was check per default.

Regards,
Stephan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.18 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07