Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 Need to Refresh Actor Data with automated process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

nehickel

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  01:28:08  Show Profile  Visit nehickel's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic

One aspect of XMM I find very difficult to do is to refresh Actor information in order to get a more complete or up-to-date Actor database.

Currently you have to
1) Search for Movies that have Actor's with missing information
2) Go into the Movie where the Actor is listed
3) Select Actor and than go into the Add/Edit card for the Actor
4) Click on the "Update From Web"
5) Select the Actor from the Magic Screen list of typically 1 Actor
6) Repeat until you go crazy or 100 hours

This extremely manual method screams for simplicity and automation

It would be better to have a function in the "Collection Maintenance" area under "People", called something like "Refresh Actor Database". This function might operate as follows...

1) Go through each Actor in the database and run the same "Update
from Web" function as the manual method.
2) If the search only comes back with one name, get that webpage
information and its WebID for that Actor.
A) If WebID in XMM matches the WebID of the webpage, then
update XMM database with webpage Actor information.
a1) go to 1) above and repeat until finished
3) If WebID in XMM does not matches webpage WebID OR
Search returned multiple Actor names that match XMM Actor
A) Get list of XMM Movies for XMM Actor record
B) Read one of the Actor's webpasges
C) Search Actor webpage for a XMM Actor Movie(s)
D) If no XMM Movies found on Actor Webpage, go to B and repeat.
1) If a XMM Movie is found in Actor webpage,
a1) Update XXM Actor record with webpage information
a2) go to 1) above and repeat.

Not to make the above process look simple but it can be automated and it would greatly benefit user community. Especially those with large collections or those whose collections were made at times when script errors existed or other problems like adding a very current movie to XMM that had some unknown Actor's when the movie first came out but later those Actor's had webpages of information.

Those who agree, please feel free to put your vote here.

Thanks,
Norm

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  09:42:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Additionally there is missing a function that removes actors that are not assigned to any movie and a function that searches for doubled entries. Especially important to act on TVShows (guest starring), too!
Like my plugin for XMM7 has done some good tools. Unfortunately this doesn't work anymore as the complete database structure has changed from one big table to several separated tables/sub-tables with a sometimes not easy to understand relationsship.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

alsystems

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  00:17:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

Additionally there is missing a function that removes actors that are not assigned to any movie and a function that searches for doubled entries. Especially important to act on TVShows (guest starring), too!

This was requested a while ago by Mathimid on April 17, 2014 and Alessio said this was a good idea that he would try to develop. I have accumulated some unlinked actors that are almost impossible to find without a new function to search for them.

See:
http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12723

A duplicate Actor search and merge would also be useful. I noticed I have a series of duplicates. The Names most likely to have duplicates are:
(1) Names with hyphens like: John O'Scott
(2) Names with single or double quotes like: 'Weird Al' Yankovic
Go to Top of Page

alsystems

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  00:27:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Another vote for 'Nehickel's suggestion of some type of automated actor update.

Although if implemented, there would need to be a pause and resume function since my list of 50,000 actors is simply too large to update in one sitting.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  07:15:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think the merge function already exists. When you select two actors in the grid then there is this function available. Or was it available in XMM7 only?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

alsystems

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  00:48:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

I think the merge function already exists. When you select two actors in the grid then there is this function available. Or was it available in XMM7 only?

You are correct. There is a merge function for people available in XMM8. To use it highlight two or more people. Use right-click menu and select: Advanced Functions-Merge Selected People. I found you need to still update the person after the merge is complete because not all information is transferred.

It would be nice to have find duplicates function to make a list of duplicates to help identify them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07