New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  19:21:15  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
As promised, here's a first list of bugs. Some serious, some not so much. Take your pick.

GRID
Opening the Grid Manager to add or remove a column, results in resizing the columns automatically although I don't want them to.

When I use Select All (Ctrl+A) in the grid, the files are always deselected immediately the first time and I need to reselect.

When I change Multiple fields, the grid does not update correctly. In the MovieCard the details appear changed, but they do not show in the grid, unless I press Refresh.

SERIOUS: Other times, when I edit Multiple movies, the change is applied to only some of them. This is serious, because I have to double check if the command was executed correctly. It does not happen every time - it is unpredictable.

The key f5 is the standard winkey for Refresh - it should have this use in XMM (no Script 1 update). The same goes for F3 and Ctrl+F and all the standard Windows combinations.

In QuickEditView, pressing Tab to move around does not work serially; it takes us up and down. This must be fixed.

Also, when editing in QuickEditView the use of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+tab work in non standard ways. For example, Ctrl+Tab should jump from Movie to Starring to Details, and Ctrl+Shift+tab backwards.

UPDATE SCRIPTS
The "Stop Import" button should stop the process at once. All I get is "Please wait until ALL procedures are finished". What's the use then?

Update with default script 3
When I select "Skip this Movie" or "Stop Import", the engine does not stop - it falls back to default script 2 and fills in the page accordingly.

SUGGESTION: When multiple cover files are imported (as in IMDB complete) the best resolution or highest size should be placed first.

Cover Manager:
When the window opens, the first file should be selected automatically.

Selecting more than one files should be possible (to delete together, not one by one).

When working in the Cover Manager, I should be able to proceed to the next movie without having to close the CV, then select another movie, open the CV and so on.

The folder for Covers must have a better structure. As it is, if I grab 3 frames for each movie and add 2 or 3 covers, I end up with a folder containing more than 2.000 files - this is unmanageable with Fastone or Irfan...

SERIOUS: When I delete a cover from the cover manager, the file is deleted from disk, but the filename (in Quick Edit View>Files>Cover) remains intact. This creates conflicts - cards with the same cover number.

Most of my cover files are saved as "ID No+Title". Lately, only the ID number is used. But if the dbase is renumbered to fill holes, the titles do not update (get renamed) and this potentially creates problems (updating covers conflict with ex-holes). It's not even practical to have Movie no 1501 with cover file 1530. The best tactic should be to use the title alone title.jpg]. Please note that I ended up having a few films associated with the same cover filename (Films A and B with cover 2111). Deleting the wrong cover in film A resulted in it being deleted in Film B too!)

SUGGESTION
The Dialog box "Search HD for Movies" should "remember" the previous options (last folder, number of frames to grab etc).

I guess these are enough for now. Everyone please comment and I'll get back with more...

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Alessio,

It seems you missed the previous post, so I'll just update it.

Cover Manager
When a cover is selected, the keyboard Del should work deleting it.
Pressing Enter should close Cover Manager.

Drag and drop of images should be allowed in Cover Manager.
Also: Drag and drop from one entry to another.

Find Duplicates should have options: [Exact] [Similar]
Examples: it should be able to relate [The Fall] with [Fall, The] and [Baby Doll] with [Babydoll]

It also needs an "exclude" function ("Do not show this film again"). If I have two entries with the same name and I want to keep them, it should remember that I allowed it.

Change Genre by dragging an entry to a different Group.

Copy contents of "Field X" to "Field Z" - it should work with any two fields.

Multiple Delete contents of "Field X" (for any field).

Decide Max Number of backups to keep.
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  11:30:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey, everyone! Any comments on the above?

Alessio?
Go to Top of Page

gerard
Starting Member

Portugal
34 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  12:55:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes,I have a comment, but I am afraid I am sounding like a Jehova Witness on the duplicates issue :

There is no place in a Database for duplicates. As far as XMM is concerned :It is a good program, and I will tell anybody that it is.

But :No matter the name, directory, network address,drive name,computer system, folder, programmers mood.. etc. XMM should prohibit importing any movie from any disk, network, directory etc, which is already in the database. That is the very reason for the existance and usability of databases. World will stop if airlines, warehouses, taxman, inventories etc. allow dups in their databases. I believe that a database can be prohibited from loading dups, if the properties of the table in the database is ticked ´do not allow loading of duplicates´

Gerard
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  22:30:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Gerard,

XMM should prevent duplicates... I mean duplicates of Movie FILES. Duplicate of movie with same name is not possible, because there are a lot of movies with the same name.

Let me know,

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  17:03:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for unearthing this post!

Alessio, so many suggestions, such a long wait; any chance we see some of them coming true?
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  05:10:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello APD!

The problem is that I have really a lot of thing to do in XMM, is not easy gave priority. Usually the bug fixing is the first thing I try to do, and then the other...

Please sorry for this long wait...

Ale

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  08:49:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I will not argue with your priorities, but from my point of view, a lot of effort is spent in features I never use.

For me 3 things are most important to be implemented:

1. Import from hard disk with filters, as in TV episodes. I have a common naming practice, "Director - Title - Year.ext" Right now I have to spend time in XMM to "clean" this string, so that only "Title" remains. You have the routine ready for TV eps, why not for films?

2. Ability to Save complex search filters

3. Faster user management of covers
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  14:28:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
To point 3...

ONLY FOR TEMPORARY USE!!!! NOT COMPLETELY TESTED!!!! ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP OF YOUR DATABASE!!!!

http://mitglied.multimania.de/jkdommi/xmm/ CoverManager.rar
Asked connection has to be: Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB
Then select your database

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 26 Oct 2010 17:41:03
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  08:00:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, something like that, but with the ability to multiple select covers in one entry etc...
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  09:05:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Multiselect is very hard to implement as no one of the ready made thumbview components (I know) does support this feature. But I'll keep on trying to find a solution for that...
Unfortunately my prog is written in delphi and XMM is in vb2008. So there is the problem to port it - as it should not be a replacement for the inbuilt CoverManager or a plugin.

But would be nice if you can test the routines if they work right or if you have other suggestions!

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  10:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@JDommi

Thank you very much for the nice program. It's a pity that multiselect and drag&drop are hard to implement. Another feature request: add picture to clipboard, search filter for movie title.

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  10:49:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, it's really a pity... The only way at this moment is by a popup menu like I already did to simulate the DnD.
At the moment I'm implementing same for pseudo-multiselect - but that way you have to add each pic one-by-one... not really "clean".
Maybe someone knows a better solution (like capturing mouse clicks while pressing CTRL / Shift).
Your requests should be easy to implement. I'll post it here when I'm ready with.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  13:37:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
New version is available.

Changes:
added: a filter to select the movie title (case sensitive!)
added: "Copy to clipboard" from popup menu
added: Add/Remove from multiselection list from popup menu
added: Add/Remove from multiselection list by holding CTRL and left mouse button
added: multiselection functionality for buttons containing the * (Remove Pic and the 3 Move to...)

known bugs: multiselection functionality for "Move to next click position" *EDIT* with empty multiselection is ok *EDIT2* multiselection removed from this function

*EDIT2* forgotten to remove a remarked line of code <- corrected

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 27 Oct 2010 15:32:18
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@JDommi

Wow. Where I can download the new version?
Just another feature request:
Printing function for the most common formats (Jewel Case Front/Back, DVD Amaray, Blu-ray case etc.)

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:56:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have overwritten the old version on my site (too less space to keep all versions).

Well, a printing function... that could make problems, as I never have tried something like that. Last time was with my old Amiga "a few years ago" *lol*
But connecting to a .mdb was a thing, too, I firstly tried on the CleanScripts plugin. So why not givin' that a try!?!

What I need anyway: the size of all those cases. I only have an old coreldraw template for a jewelcase.

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 27 Oct 2010 19:20:34
Go to Top of Page

gerard
Starting Member

Portugal
34 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  00:09:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
late reply on dups :

Yes, movie files. even same name. XMM should be smart enough to check if all data going to download from e.g. IMDB is already in the database or not, and Yes different name same movie, the dreaded duplicator AKA (also known as), and yes same name different movie. Just do it Alesio, all other movie managers (at least the ones I checked)also don´t know how to handle duplicates. Duplicates are the nails of any Database´s coffin, deciding if it is an usefull database or not. Change properties of fields in table.. Dups not accepted.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  05:28:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK, I have understand now. You want that if I have 2 movie with the same name when I import the information from internet check if the movie is the same as the other already imported, and maybe warn the user...

I will think to that function.

Thank you,

Ale

Go to Top of Page

gerard
Starting Member

Portugal
34 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dups :

Exactly, every new added movie should be checked automatically by xmm if it is already in the database. Even the name. Taxman can handle duplicate names like John Smith, but every one of them is different in their database. So we need to compare the new addition to a column in the database somewhere.(suggest IMDB ID (tt123456)) If there seem to be a duplicate, a warning could be issued. or better yet, XMM should refuse to load the movie. With this, the location of the movie is less important, and xmm would work flawless on a network and mounted network drives, especially if DCHP is not set to a fixed address.

example

(192.168.xxx.xxx\movies\10 dead men.avi
versus eg
120.144.yyy.yyy\dvds\10 dead men.avi)

In this case XMM, as it is now. would load a duplicate without any hesitation!

gerard
Go to Top of Page

Naxho
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  04:19:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes but you have another problem, the extended version, for example:

Watchmen
Watchmen Ultimate Cut

This movies shares de IMDB ID, how could it work with this?
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  08:26:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And what about having the same movie as vhs, as dvd and as blue-ray?
And what about 2d and 3d versions?
And what about movies that are really double? (DVD1 contains 2 movies and one of these exists as single dvd version)
And what about single disc and 2-disc versions?
List can surely be extended!
I always look in my database before adding new movies...

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.2 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07