Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Suggestions / New Features
 XMM 7 - All that is going on my nerves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  20:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
For a very long time I stayed with the old xMM 6 version, only gambling and testing with xMM 7. But some new features are tempting: portability, no creation of mediacenter files, extended filters and last but not least the possibility to copy covers into the clipboard (as xMM only has very rudimentary cover print options it's now very easy to put a cover to another programm in order to print it out). But using xMM 7 only now for a while disadvantages in comparison to the old version have become obvious or some old annoyances have been revealed when working with the new version. I excluded now most of the things that are still not implemented but hopefully will come soon(er or later) (advanced reports, advanced statistic, replacement for outmoded (x)html export, better cover print)

1. Interface

a) I don't want to comment the new beginners interface (ok, two comments: the search "panel" is better than in advanced mode; light blue letters on white ground is not eye-friendly). But as an advanced user I want to have the ability to completely hide this interface: no icon in start menu, no desktop icon for it; and when clicking on xMM .exe on my usb-stick I want a program start in advanced mode.
[DONE IN 7.0.5.6]

b) Both in beginners and advanced interface many items are untranslated. I think this is irritating the user and the whole program seems to be unfinished like a beta version. Everything has to be translated. And it's a pity that the headers in the grid or the column selection for the main grid can't be translated. I translated the whole .ini file from english to german, but when I want to select a column I get into difficulties to catch the right one.

c) Search/Filter: The search field is to small; the filter function is only in english, not very intuitive and some extended features are missing, e.g. to store the generated custom filters. Aside from testing I never used this advanced filters until now.

d) quickedit window: In xMM 6 the quickedit window has adjusted it's size when changing the other panels. When for example the main grid was extended the quickedit window get smaller. In xMM 7 the window size is fix and you get a horizontal scroll-bar. This is a big step backwards. For me there is only fun with xMM 7 on a monitor >20''. And: Quickedit window differs from normal edit window too much (should be the same order of data fields as default like in xMM 6). Most because of the much better quickedit window xMM 6 look more compact and clearly arranged. (Additionally I've the problem that from time to time data that I edit in the edit window are not stored in the database - this happens not in xMM 6)

e)When "scrolling" through my collection (in the main grid)seem to work in slow motion in comparison to xMM 6. The new components you used for the new version seem not to deal very efficiently with my hardware resources.(It's not the actor's photo problem!)

f) Is it possible to hide the grid lines in main grid? Has the charm of a Windows 3.1 spreadsheet.
[DONE IN 7.0.5.7]

g) It's nice to switch between html card and quickedit window for movies. For the other "database elements" actor, boxset, episode I expect the same: a html card view and a quickedit view. For series/episodes and boxsets/movies a split view like it was realized for series in xMM 7 (split view as an option).

h) The boxsets are a little bit isolated: no scripting, no quickedit, no direct access, no moviecard, no assignment of seasons or episodes to a boxsets

2. Data Fields

I played a little bit around to customize the data fields within the tabs. First of all I appreciate that we are able to do that. But doing this I feel more like a programmer than a normal user. Should be easier to do.
By playing around with the data fields it became clear that a re-structuration of the data fields should be done in future (maybe in version 8)
- date fields: step backwards once again. I don't want to have "01.01.1900" instead of a blank field. I want to have the date not the time in this field. "01.01.1900 00:00:00": This is confusing and overcharged. On the other hand it should be possible to get a dvd release year field switched to dvd release date
- The dvd/vhs and medium tab contain many fields that can be put together maybe in a table, for example the whole media language stuff like in DVD Profiler (http://www.tfintzel.de/dvdprofiler/images/new_audio_menu.jpg).
- The IMDB scripts are fantastic but in the meantime most of the custom fields are occupied. Maybe it's time to create additional data fields for the most important IMDB stuff.

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 03 Nov 2009 13:17:08

dlau168
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  06:27:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
agree with you that i still using v6.
Go to Top of Page

Swissguy64
Starting Member

Switzerland
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  10:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Swissguy64's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am still using the old version as well! Much better performance!
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I also agree.

V6 is just fine and I see no merit in getting to grips with V7 as it does nothing that is, for me, worth the effort.

Its understandable, but a pity, that there are upgrades to V6

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  07:40:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Mawu!

Please sorry for this delay, I had some problems and I cannot answer to topic.

I will read carefully your report, as you know I will try to make everything is possible. I hope to have good news soon.

Thank you!!

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  09:35:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Mawu,

I was a bit busy last weeks, now I can work on XMM more deeply.

I am trying all the time to make XMM better and better, I will try to follow as possible your suggestions.

Thank you again!!

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07