Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Books Manager
 Suggestions / New features
 Magazines & Comics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  15:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi Alessio,

what about integrating magazines and comics also into XBM?

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  15:31:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yeah, its a good idea... please write me more details about your idea.

Thank you,

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Alessio,

books, comics and magazines have a lot in common: all three are available as paper prints and/or ebooks, they can share most of the database fields in a managing software etc. Why not managing all the paper/ebooks stuff in one software?

Comics: One of the competitors (collectorz.com) offers a comic collector were you can use as source of inspiration. For comics beside pdf an additional format should be supported:Comic Book Archive file (CBR) see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file

Magazines: in scientific research there some programs like Endnote(www.endnote.com) available which have the focus on managing single articles. Although you can also order single articles for "normal" magazines (like computer magazines, playboy magazine ;-) ...) I think people will usually have the full magazine in hand or on the hard disk as ebook. Therefore I would favour to manage not single articles (although you can keep in mind to support also single article management). For magazines you can use maybe a kind of reduced set of data fields in comparison to books, but with few additional fields. Most important thing will be a additional tab for "Table Of Contents" (which should be also available for books). One example: I have a big collection of "Cinema" movie magazine (from 1985 up to now). I want to type in the core data for each volume with cover and table of contents. In the table of contents I want to have infos like article headline, author, site,rubric. For a movie magazine article headlines will be the movies. Now I want to be able to search in which volume the review of a particular movie is available or I want to export a list "article_headline=movie, Volume, Site...)
You have to keep in mind that the boundaries between the books, comics and magazines can overlap from time to time (e.g. MAD magazine is a comic, but also a magazine)

Bye Byte and Happy Coding

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 05 Nov 2010 22:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Chris Lotz
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  09:40:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with Mawu, This may also help in integrating the comic book portion, if you could create a script to pull the details from: http://www.comics.org/

This has most if not almost all comics series information, but I would even buy the book manager if it supported comics and other book or ebook formats, I would even add/edit everything myself if you added the basic features :)

I find your software very comprehensive and easy to use and I think if you continue the development and adding features and suggestions you can put the competition in it's place. IMO Collectorz is very primitive looking, it has features but still looks like an old Access Database... Your managers have both looks and database features packaged in one. I may even purchase your Music Manager, I need to research the features more before I migrate.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  11:27:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you guys,

I still need to work very much on Books and Games manager, and I need also to start Music manager from stratch... I hope to do eveyrthing quickly.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07