Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Information
 Two Issues - renumbering and renaming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

lordp
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  11:13:59  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I want to have my movies sorted alphabetically and numbered from 1 to whatever is the last movie. I did some searches here and all I found were people having problems but I did not find how to do it.

Can some one tell me the trick?

The other thing I want to do is to rename a database...say I created a database called "Movies" and want to rename it to "Movies - Disc 1", how can I do this?

I searched for this as well and found no instructions.

BTW, any predictions on when the online help will be finished? I wouldn't have to ask if it was up and running ;)

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  11:46:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorting alphabetically: just click on "Title" in the main grid. This way you can also sort by id or any other column.
Renumbering: every movie gets it's own unique id on adding to the db. If you delete a movie the remaining gap will not automatically be removed. Therefore you can renumber the database: Advanced Tools - Maintanance(?) - Renumbering.
The problem to this is: the covers will not be renamed to the new id. If there are more I can't say...
Renaming your db: You have to do it manually... go to the folder where you db is. You have to rename [oldname]_download to [newname]_download. Same for all other folders -mediacenterdir, -photos, -thumbs and -cover as well as the .mdb itself. Now you can open the database in XMM.
But why renaming a database? I think that there are enough possibilities to filter your entries to not handle multiple databases.
The online help: well, Ale has to do (more than) enough with updating and improving XMM. And not many users have so much time to do it for him. So a really good and complete help... sometimes it will exist ;)

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

lordp
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  10:34:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the answers.

I got the bit about sorting but I wanted the numbering to match the alphabetical sorting. Kinda useless to renumber if the covers will not be remapped. I guess my solution is to get rid of the ID in the grid display altogether.

Why rename the database? I am dumping a lot of stuff to external hard drives and was thinking of renaming and creating different databases to something like Movies - Disk 1, Movies - Disk 2....

Maybe I can just add a special field to indicate what hard drive the movie is in. A real pain since I am using 2TB external hard drives and they hold a lot of stuff.

Trust me on this one - I do tech support for a company that dominates the elevator control industry and 80% of the problems I am asked for help with are simply a case of bad documentation. We have at times lost multimillion dollar accounts because of this. I actually travel to different states within the US, and also Canada to help & train our customers and I keep finding over and over again that their frustrations are mostly related to bad documentation - they simply do not understand our way of doing things. After I train them they LOVE our products simply because they finally understand what the heck is going on.

To put it simply, if a program or device is simple & clear to use it will be a success - if it is difficult and frustrating to use it will fail. Documentation is the key to making it simple.

I realize that Ale has more than enough to do - believe me I REALLY sympathize, I find myself in the same position often enough - but he does need to get the help file going or he will simply create more and more frustrated customers and that is never a good thing in business.

In any case, thank you very much for the help and good luck to Ale.
Go to Top of Page

nehickel

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  20:19:32  Show Profile  Visit nehickel's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The simplist way to do what you want to do is to use the utilities in the Advanced Tools area called Collection Maintenance. There you will find the necessary tools to have the sorting actual;ly done to the database records.

Norm
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Be careful! Always keep a backup of your main file AND the covers folder. I've found out that sometimes functions work in a way which is different than what you'd expect.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  18:59:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@lordp:
Your right with the documentation.
But what shall we do if no one has the time to make a manual?
The only one I'm using is the forum and "try and error"... but I never ever have read a manual on progs - except the formula collection for M$ Excel.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  23:03:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://xmm.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page
if anyone wants to work on more of a manual there is a WIKI...but like JDommi, trial and error and this forum works best for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07