Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Bug Report
 M4V ignored and other problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  16:24:37  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I have been using YANFOE for my movies and was looking for an alternative. I have a Popcorn Hour and saw this application mentioned there. I bought it last night as the 50 movie trial thing was worthless.

1. I am copying my DVD collection to my NAS and YANFOE reported 1026 movies which matched my count. After running EMM it found less than 700. I realized after some research it totally ignored all my M4V files which is the format I am now using for all my new movies. Was amazed that it wasn't a default format?

2. Although each movie has it's own folder with it's own poster and NFO, it seems the NFO's were ignored. At a minimum it should have grabbed the IMDB number? I can't find any of my previous data listed with the movies?

3. I had found posters for 99% of my movies, but there are MANY missing in EMM? Each poster matches the movie name and is in the same directory as the movie.

4. A lot of the movie titles have () and [] in them???

I am just starting, but already wondering why I $$ for this.

Linkup

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  23:32:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am going to expand some of the above points and add some new ones while waiting for an official response.

1 (above) - I found that movie type M4V was not in the default list. Considering how long the list was, not having that popular format in the list seemed quite odd.

2. I still can't figure out why my existing NFO files are being ignored.

3. I did a little work on the posters... There were a few problems with getting the poster vs. the fanart, but most artwork issues are resolved.

4. Back to the () and [] issue. It is typical to put year or an alternative title in parens or brackets. Although I *don't* have the box checked to remove the content, EMM did anyway? Secondly, if your going to remove the content, then remove the parens and brackets at the same time. Why leave the empty parens and brackets?

NEW ISSUE

5. Since it didn't grab the IMDB number (apparently?), it seems to add the movies I have to manually confirm each one??? I thought the import step would go painlessly...

A. Tell it the folder to grab movies from
B. it would title based on file name
C. it would read the info from the NFO, at least the IMDB number
D. It would import current poster and fanart

Since it is not reading the IMDB number, it seems I have to manually match all my movies? Am I missing something here? I don't want to fault the program if it did read the NFO, but I don't even see a field for IMDB number. That brings up the next point.

6. When I am in grid mode, you have columns, starting with 6 default columns. I right click on the header and get the column chooser and then try to pick columns, like IMDB link and resolution....nothing happens?

I have dumped the whole database, started all over and just can't seem to go forward other than manually movie by movie? I have already imported over 1,000 and many more to go.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  23:39:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oh ya...

7. I have a request for your capitalization rule in regards to Roman numerals. You must have a default rule, i.e. one upper case, the remainder lower case. To that you should add common Roman numerals, i.e. II, III, IV, VI, VII, IIX, etc. Iii looks stupid :)

8. I have been getting crashes due to "storage space" errors... What space? It isn't a lack of disk space....so what is going on there? The last one happened when paging down in thumbnail mode. The thumbnails were missing and it crashed with that error?

Thanks again...

Go to Top of Page

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  02:55:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
and another:

9: When the brackets are left behind, you lower case the first letter behind it. Generally if I have brackets, it is a second movie name.

You are changing this:

Movie Name 1 [Movie Name 2]

to:

Movie Name 1 [movie Name 2]
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  07:43:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
WOW... how would it be to use the search function in this forum? And did you have already looked at the options of the program?
As example the year in brackets after the title is an option that you can enable or disable and the imdb number: you can tell XMM to take it and continue without having to click the ok button.
I think before going on with grumbling about you really should take a little time to become acquainted with all the functions and settings...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In other words I wasted my money and you refuse to answer even a single question.

Even the one point you reference, you didn't understand my complaint. I FOUND the option for the year in the title, that has NOTHING to do with leaving the brackets behind after stripping the date out.

Lets start with the simplest of questions...why didn't the program get my existing IMDB numbers?

Simple question....do you think searching the forum will find an answer to why my NFO files were ignored?

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  17:29:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by linkup

In other words I wasted my money and you refuse to answer even a single question.

I never have said that! Sorry if I have seemed to be that arrogant...

quote:
Even the one point you reference, you didn't understand my complaint. I FOUND the option for the year in the title, that has NOTHING to do with leaving the brackets behind after stripping the date out.

That's simply a bug about that was discussed a short while ago.

quote:
Lets start with the simplest of questions...why didn't the program get my existing IMDB numbers?

Simple answer: I don't know. A few days ago (I think to remember) the same question was tried to solve for another user.

quote:
Simple question....do you think searching the forum will find an answer to why my NFO files were ignored?

In fact! Many problems can be solved easily if they were already mentioned in the forum. I think I speak for ALL XMM enthusiasts that nobody 'til now was left with his problems.
By that way: I'm only a user just like everyone here in the forum. So I surely don't know every solution.

But I must say: if someone writes such things like "I am just starting, but already wondering why I $$ for this." I react a little bit angry. Because that seems as if this person never has tried to help himself instead he says that the whole prog is crap!

And now that's enough - I think we both had only a misunderstanding.

Maybe another user can explain more to your questions than me.
I only add DVDs to my database without having any movie on my hdd.

JDommi

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  21:12:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Add whatever format you want included into the configuration.Not everyone uses that format so that is probably why it is setup like that.
It is not a bug, so add it to the suggestions thread about what you would like added and I am sure it will be added to the release in the future. .TS files are another one that I have to add after every update so maybe once we inform the writer of this app in the proper place it will be done (as it always is).
I agree with JDommi's comments above...I too am only a user and we all help each other out!
BTW--this is probably one of the least expensive applications out there and you can actually talk to the programmer...it was not money wasted!
Go to Top of Page

linkup
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  02:53:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello, sorry for coming across like that, but it was a bad day for me, and after buying a piece of software, I expected it to be in a more "polished" shape. The restricted trial copy didn't allow me to really discover the majority of the problems, and I so badly wanted the product to be "right" for me after all the other failures.

I came here from the Popcorn site, as that is what I have, and that is where I found out about the project. If your not aware, that is people like me who are accessing digital copies of their DVDs and who want the benefit of pulling up the menu on their TV and picking a video to watch. Much handier when laying in bed ;)

I have just begun building my digital collection. I have over 3,000 DVDs and as of now only 1,000 are digitized. I also have a lot of TV episodes I recorded that I haven't even tried to add to the database yet.

Since I came from using two previous programs, I already have posters, fanart, and NFO file, etc. for the 1000 movies I already converted to digital.

I thought it would be a simple task to have XMM scan my existing file structure which is all laid out using proper "rules". All my movies have their own folder with the IMDB title, and inside the folder is the movie with the IMDB title with the NFO file containing the IMDB number.

If it is a new, immature product, I can look past having to retitle over 100 movies due to the paren/brackets problem. I can deal with the improper handling of Roman numerals.

But I still can't populate my database with the information I already had. I can't go backwards, i.e. using my NFO, or move forward, as I get the error reported in another message.

I also reported the crashed caused when trying to view in thumbnail mode. These are two things that are keeping me from even using the program, never the less cosmetic issues.

I tried a shareware program which was abandoned, I tried another program I contributed to, and now this one. Quite frankly, I would pay $100 to find a ready for prime time program. When I factor in all the lost hours, I feel like a $1000 investment in the beginning would have been good money spent.

For now I have no option but go back to the previous program. Hope you can at least get a sense of my disappointment in yet another failure and why I made the comments I did.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  12:50:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello guys,

please sorry very much for my delay, I was really busy these days and I cannot write on forum.

IMDB number: you need the IMDB link, not just the number, because XMM search for the IMDB link of the movie.

If you can send to me an NFO I will try to see whats wrong.

About $$: just ask a refund, I will do it immediately.

Thank you,

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.24 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07