Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Bug Report
 XMM is not compatible with Windows 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  16:11:19  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I just changed to Windows 7 64bit and had to find out, that XMM is not working propperly under Windows 7.
Running it from a limited User Account will make it behave funny, it shows as a big spreadsheet without the possibility to activate any of the panels.
Also Windows has to use the folder virtualisation, to stop XMM writing into the programm directory. Which means, that XMM is not behaving as it should.
From reading the forum it seems, that this problem already exists since vista and xp. Running it as administrator can't be a solution.

When will you update XMM to work propperly?

I realy liked your programm and even thought about buying XBM as well. But XMM being the best movie manager doesn't help if it is not running smoothly.
You could change the programcode to direct all the files XMM has to write to into the users appdata directory (or any other chosen path).

Please update your program soon, so I can keep on using it.

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:12:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That might be a security "feature" in windows 7...does it run OK if you do a runas and run it as an administrator for you? On my Windows 7 box my user is an administrator and I have NO problems with it...
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:42:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your response! But running as Admin, everything will work. And XMM does as well. But that is not the concept of Windows, neither XP, Vista nor 7. And using a software which is accessing the internet as an admin is a security risk.
It can't be to hard to adapt XMM so it's running smoothly. Most of todays software has no difficulties. And working with several user accounts on one computer running xmm as an admin is no option.

Maybe Alessio could comment on this.

Edited by - zukkara on 18 Mar 2011 21:58:56
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  22:13:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
As far as i know XMM only works without Problems with enabled UAC if it isn't installed in a secured directory.

I use XMM with Win7 64bit without a problem, but it is installed outside the program's directory on my PC.

Edited by - Prinz on 18 Mar 2011 22:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  07:56:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

For the future I will try to change the installation to put XMM in the userappdata folder. I hope this will help also for computers with UAC enabled.

Thank you!

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  09:26:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That would be really great!
I already tried to find out which files are accessed in the program files directory, but I did not find all of them. For you it should be easier. And I belief having all the neccessary files, which are needed for individual user settings and adaptions in the %appdata% folder should solve the problem.
You could give an option on installation (and as well in the settings, for later alteration) if to install with individual user settings, one setting for all users (in ProgramData) or portable in any directory outside of %program files(86)% folder.

Thank You!
Go to Top of Page

M_L
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  11:45:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I also have Win7 and UAC enabled and i have No problems like this.

Greetz M_L
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  13:06:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@ ML Have UAC on the highest level? Are you running it under a limited user account?
Have you installed it into the sugested path of the installer? Which would be your userprofiles documents folder. There you can run it, but on in the normal installation path for software in the Program files directory I doubt very much, that it is running propperly.

zukkara

Edited by - zukkara on 19 Mar 2011 14:35:03
Go to Top of Page

M_L
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  18:14:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
On my Desktop I have installed it on an external harddrive. On my Notebook it is on my Data Partition.

UAC is on -Standart Level- and of course I'm logged in as Administrator.
I had the problem you discribed. ---> I only installed the Update Installation or something like that.

1.Load the newest Version 2. install it in Programm Directory 3. Look if ALL files are installed 4. Test it with Administrator rights

M_L
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I installed it to a folder outside of program files and then it works. Thought to register it, i had to run it as Administrator.

This Helps for now. But I would still be glad if Alessio would make it Windows conform!

zukkara
Go to Top of Page

M_L
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  00:50:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I don't need to Run it as Administrator.
But if it works for you... it's fine for now.

greetz
M_L
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  17:14:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If you want to make it run without using an admin account this usually works for me.
run regmon (now replaced by Process Monitor) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
You can see every call to the registry and then make the required changes to permissions on those keys.
As a rule of thumb, users cannot make changes to any keys that affect all users, they have to be admin to do that. So if the program will run properly as admin then you simply have to change the permissions on a registry key or two.
Alessio can modify his application to write to just a user key for changes or you can modify the all user keys to allow a regular user permissions to modify it.
It might be easier to have Allesio list his keys that he writes to with the app and even add a script to the install to change those keys permission. That could be done on the install where you select whether to install for all users or just the current user.
As a rule, if you install for all users it just changes the location in the start menu, this would require key permission changes for Windows 7 I would think.
I don't have a security concern on the box that I have Windows 7 and EMM on so my account is run as a user with admin privileges or I would do that for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.17 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07