New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  17:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

as I'm until now not really satisfied with the arrangement of data fields in edit window I made my own xMM in Photoshop. Here are my suggestions:
1. Main window: looks more than in xMM7, basic info like country and genre are back, rearrangement of several elements, dropdown menue for MPAA

2.Cast and Crew: icon bars are too big, producer should be switched with editor as the producer list is always very long, xMM internal is not of interest

A radical approach would be to only have two main tables - one for actors, one for crew (maybe in xMM 10)

3. Details: Studio and Distributor need multiple fields like cast&crew, number of awards can be listed in awards field above the awards list

4. Video: the most ugly window in the whole program. Many fields are obsolte, other need dropdown menue. Movie features can shifted to this tab as all items are related to video stream. For better separation of movie feature items user should be able to set a separator (thin line, empty line) to group items that belong together.

5. Audio: possibility to add an audio stream manually, original language shifted from details; now all language and audio related items are concentrated in one tab.

6. DVD/VHS: some more dropdown menues for the fields are highly recommended; import of features from xMM7 is not possible to the new field construction. And this field is only useful for standard features. Special, features, gadget, easter eggs and other info should be collected in a new "extra" field (like for the boxsets in xMM7)

7. Personal: gift checkbox is placed where it belongs to; seen date is a multiple field as I like to watch my favourite movies more than one time. In future there should be a counter in statistic to show the movies I watched most.

Bye Byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 13 Oct 2012 18:43:46

kirill2785

Israel
332 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  21:25:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send kirill2785 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
* By moving Country, Genre,Sub-Genre to MAIN, and by moving Language to AUDIO we have no need in DETAILS 3, which is good.
* Additionally i would merge the covers,as i said in your earlier post (Data Fields & Edit Window -Part II) Front, Back covers, Fan Art, Screenshots can be all fitted in the same place ,in the MAIN tab, where currently only the Front Cover is placed, they can be switched by anew button,an arrow maybe, there is a place under the cover: Total Covers: | 1/2 | Front Cover | ->
* The new CAST & CREW view is complicated and not clean (including Director). I think to show a list is good ,but all the Add, Delete,Edit, Edit Link functions shouldn't be seen normally. only when you want to make one of those actions. one button to show/hide them will make all the difference.
* The Video Mode field (in Video tab) should be placed at the end and maybe should be labeled : Video Mode (VHS), because it concerns only VHS.
The same story with Free Time and Starting Position (in DVD/VHS tab).
* Why Extras and Features (in DVD/VHS tab)? isn't this the same thing, can be put in the same list.
* Film/Video/Audio should be combos with rating from 1 to 5 (or to 10).
* Return Date should be added in the Loan Details (Personal tab).
* Rating (Main tab): it's not always clear where the rating came from so maybe next to the rating, in brackets, it should say the name of the site from which it was taken from. if it was manually filled than no brackets.
another thing that really bothers me. why have two tabs FILES,and DISKS? i think it should be on tab, one table. what does it matter if my files are on a hard drive or on a cd? it just the type of media. and if XMM can detect the type of media than it should fill automatically the Media field on the MAIN tab. some films come with two types of CDs, DVD and BLURAY. if XMM reads them both (read files) it should change the media field to "DVD+BLURAY" or something like that.

kirill2785

Edited by - kirill2785 on 14 Oct 2012 00:30:20
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  12:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
* The new CAST & CREW view is complicated and not clean (including Director). I think to show a list is good ,but all the Add, Delete,Edit, Edit Link functions shouldn't be seen normally. only when you want to make one of those actions. one button to show/hide them will make all the difference.

The icon bar draws off the attention from data , you are right. Therefore I suggested to make them a little bit smaller. Maybe there is a more elegant solution.

quote:
The Video Mode field (in Video tab) should be placed at the end and maybe should be labeled : Video Mode (VHS), because it concerns only VHS.

But it directly affects the video stream.

quote:
Why Extras and Features (in DVD/VHS tab)? isn't this the same thing, can be put in the same list.

Good question. For me the features are more "feature keywords" with all the standard features provided by the dvd/blu-ray (like trailer, scene access etc.). With this list you are able now to filter in the treeview, e.g. to list all movies with director commentary. The list is not so good for extended information. For eyample: in the features list you have a checkbox "easter eggs". This can now easily be filtered in the treeview. In the extras field you'll now have the possibility to store detailed information about the easter eggs like how to activate them. Imho these two data fields complement each other. Another point is that it's not possible to import the old features field correctly in the new features list.

quote:
another thing that really bothers me. why have two tabs FILES,and DISKS? i think it should be on tab, one table. what does it matter if my files are on a hard drive or on a cd?

It does matter. In the disks table the single video files on the media are of no interest. Only the properties of the media itself: media label, single or dual layer, discID, total filesize of the complete dvd/blu-ray, number of disks. As dvd and blu-ray consist of a couple of files a listing of the single files in xMM is of less interest.

Bye Byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  13:26:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have a wish as well.
In Details the Plot field is far to small, even when maximizing the window to full screen it is still tiny. Keyword instead is really big (half the screen). Can't imagine someone needs that many keywords. Two lines should be enough.
The small Plot field makes it almost impossible to edit the text, one doesn't get a god overview at all, just seeing two lines of the Text. And at least with my data, it is the field with the most written data in in.
I also edit it frequently, because in my opinion there is often to much space between the paragraphs.Which leads to ugly big gabs in the text on the moviecard. Anyway the editing field is to small!

The same could be said for "Comments" and "Reviews". Maybe those three fields could be given more room. Either in Details or in Details 2 or 3.
What do you think?

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  13:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@zukkara

The problem is that the users wanted more data fields and now there is not so much space available. Your are right that Alessio should resize the text based data fields. Keywords and movie connections are far too big, others to small. An additional improvement would be a feature like in the quickedt window in xMM7. There you can double-click into the data field and a text editor pops up where you can edit the data field in an user-friendly way. Additionally the quickedit window has to be re-implemented.

Bye Byte
Mawu

Go to Top of Page

pace666
Starting Member

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  22:40:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with zukkara about plot and comment fields!
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  09:39:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@ Mawu
More Data fields are of course wellcome, but as you have shown with your layouts it is possible to stream line the design. Then maybe instead of losing Detail 3 we could have more space for the text fields. a pop up editor would be nice, too. And as i and many others said elsewhere here the quickedit mode needs to come back.
There are quite some places in XMM8 where the design could be better and feels still a bit rough!
e.g.: As you have pointed out above the icon bars are to big. The hole structure of cast+crew looks ugly, as the tables don't blend in with their edges darker then the surrounding space
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  16:49:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry for late answer Mawu!

I was out these days... I will carefully read it and try to make the changes...

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  20:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
BUMP!!!

Any news on this? At least the most serious glitches like the duplicated data fields should be fixed soon(er or later).

Bye byte & Happy Coding
Mawu

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  07:42:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry Mawu, I hope to start to work on this really soon...

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  17:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Weekly Reminder

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  09:48:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, this week I am in Paris, I will come back today. I will try to work on this from monday.

Ale

Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  10:29:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I wonder how much effort it would be to create an edit window editor?

That way everybody could design it's own variant.

Another thing I wouldn't mind coming up would be more "intelligent" scaling of the fields' display. It's kinda funny to see the "keywords" field in the "details" tab growing when enlarging the window but it's not very useful. Other fields would profit big time if they would enlarge with the main edit window which goes up to full screen.

And my guess is that nowadays most of the movie collection software users have at least 1920 x 1080 pixels at their disposal....

Go to Top of Page

kirill2785

Israel
332 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  19:58:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send kirill2785 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I still think that Files & Discs should be combined into ine tab called "Files & Discs".
it should have it's own tabs, each tab is a disc (dvd or bluray or other cds ) or a hard drive should be chosen when pressed on "add media", pressing this button will enable the users choose the type of media after that a correspondng type of tab will be added. under each tab will be visible it's files list (table) which will include filename, running time of each file. under the table a list of features and extras in case of original Bluray & DVDs (or copies). deleting or renaming of this tabs is posiible by right click on them.
this way takes care of pissibilities of bonus both dvds/blurays (including bonus cds) and files stored on hard drive, movies and tv-shows. in the table of files (in each tab) all the episodes can be listed. This way this inf window will be common for tv-shows and movies and avoid having an "Episodes" tab for a movie.

kirill2785
Go to Top of Page

Odin

Norway
67 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  15:32:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Some very good suggestions here. I especially like suggestion 4 and 5.
Commonly used expressions or names would greatly benefit of having a drop down menu (like you suggested).
Go to Top of Page

kirill2785

Israel
332 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  12:26:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send kirill2785 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
8.0.2.8:
MAIN
The Boxset checkbox: is always disabled. what is it's meaning? if it's checked does it mean the this title is a boxset and not a movie?
Category & MPAA combos have no values in them, empty, nothing to choose from. I suggest populating them. The MPAA combo should be called "Audience Rating", because MPAA is only in USA, in every other counry it's something different, even in english speaking countries. i think that a user should have the option the choose which set of Audio Rating he wants to be populated in this combo (according to his country or his liking)
The Director field is very not convenient. it should be a simple textbox, the directors should be seperated with "/" or "|". but when you want to modify them only when press a button which opens an edit window that looks like the current director view.
media combo is populated with some values of codecs. should be cleaned of unrelated values. thats what codec field in VIDEO tab is for.
DETAILS
still can see a mixup with the Award fields.
VIDEO
Codec & Screen Ratio should both be combos (not empty of course, but with the existing and most used values.
number of discs still exists in 2 places: here (video tab) and Discs tab. the first one is unnecessary.
DVD/VHS
Edition & Packaging combos are also empty, no values to choose from.
Region should be a combo too.
something wierd in the Features list. when imported from web, the first checkbox caontaining a very long value and is unreadable.
PICTURES
the Back, Fanarts & Screenshots should be in the same window of the front cover in the MAIN tab, Why seperate them if you can manage them easily in the same window instead of 2?
PERSONAL
still no "Return Date" in the Loan Details.
FILES & DISCS
why having 2 tabs for the same info? all files are contained on a some type of media (hard drive, disc). there is a manageable way and elegant way of combining them each MOVIE/TV-SHOW will have a possibility to have more then 1 disc ot hard drive and a full list of files and thus avoiding the funny situation of haveing an EPISODES tab on a MOVIE edit window (see COLLECTORZ).

kirill2785
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  20:22:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe it's too soon to discuss the changes ALE made but nevertheless:

quote:
Originally posted by kirill2785

8.0.2.8:
MAIN
The Boxset checkbox: is always disabled. what is it's meaning? if it's checked does it mean the this title is a boxset and not a movie?

So it seems. If you happen to have boxsets in your db you'll note that those will have the checkbox checked. You still can add new boxsets like before.

quote:

Category & MPAA combos have no values in them, empty, nothing to choose from. I suggest populating them. The MPAA combo should be called "Audience Rating", because MPAA is only in USA, in every other counry it's something different, even in english speaking countries. i think that a user should have the option the choose which set of Audio Rating he wants to be populated in this combo (according to his country or his liking)

If you want you could fill the db table manually (would need MS Access or at least external (ODBC) write access to your database).

XMM would pick up the values ... maybe Ale will add it to the editable lists. Then we could change things to our likings.

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to auto-populate the list on (web) import since imdb has individualized mpaa ratings and this would lead to a very messy list with maybe hundreds of entries soon.

Picking up what already exists (see moviecards) it might be a good idea to pimp the ratings table like this
ID | Country | RatingAgencyCode | Rating

That way it would be possible (in the future) to add multiple ratings to a movie too. Also export might profit from this.

If the database wouldn't be soo slow already (BTW: it doesn't have to, does it? ) it might even be an idea to add a table like MovieLinkRating which could also contain individual rating comments / multiple ratings per movie
ID | MovieID | RatingID | RatingComment

quote:

The Director field is very not convenient. it should be a simple textbox, the directors should be seperated with "/" or "|". but when you want to modify them only when press a button which opens an edit window that looks like the current director view.

For people (and directors are to be categorized as such in XMM8) this won't be easy. They are all not just a field in the movie table anymore but live in their on table. On the long run this is a much better way to organize things but it may need a few "runtime optimizations" especially for the edit window but also for customizable exports.

quote:

media combo is populated with some values of codecs. should be cleaned of unrelated values. thats what codec field in VIDEO tab is for.

I think this depends on acutal usage scenario. Also, you can easily control this by using the list editor.

What's kinda strange is that automatic list population always adds new values with an ID of "0". It doesn't matter much for my use but it may have side effects.

quote:

DETAILS
still can see a mixup with the Award fields.
VIDEO
Codec & Screen Ratio should both be combos (not empty of course, but with the existing and most used values.

That's a tricky one ... you would need a mapping for that which also needs to be user editable since you just can't predict what MediaInfo will come back with after reading a file. Currently, there's no such table (and my guess is for this Ale wants us to use the MEDIA field. )
quote:

number of discs still exists in 2 places: here (video tab) and Discs tab. the first one is unnecessary.
DVD/VHS
Edition & Packaging combos are also empty, no values to choose from.
Region should be a combo too.
something wierd in the Features list. when imported from web, the first checkbox caontaining a very long value and is unreadable.

Those are auto populating lists (like i.e. MEDIA and MPAA). If this is sensible? I do not know - heavily depends on what you actually add into those fields.
Maybe auto population didn't work (the same way) when you did update the movie information the last time and therefore the lists are currently empty. I have a rather messy looking EDITION list here I will have to clean up. Thanks for forcing me to check this out.
quote:

PICTURES
the Back, Fanarts & Screenshots should be in the same window of the front cover in the MAIN tab, Why seperate them if you can manage them easily in the same window instead of 2?
PERSONAL
still no "Return Date" in the Loan Details.
FILES & DISCS
why having 2 tabs for the same info? all files are contained on a some type of media (hard drive, disc). there is a manageable way and elegant way of combining them each MOVIE/TV-SHOW will have a possibility to have more then 1 disc ot hard drive and a full list of files and thus avoiding the funny situation of haveing an EPISODES tab on a MOVIE edit window (see COLLECTORZ).

When the edit window comes to a "final" state I'd love to see a decent scaling. I said so already but well, I still can't see it. It was in the release notes that we got the first edition of the mawu better edit window (tm) so I still hope for further improvements.

Edited by - yan00s on 25 Nov 2012 05:40:53
Go to Top of Page

nehickel

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  06:06:11  Show Profile  Visit nehickel's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would like to add one suggestion to this very nice work. On the Video tab I would like to have the Ripper Filed be a drop down box. This is because there are different types of Rippers for DVD & Blu-Ray, Screen DRM and so on as well as different rippers within those groups. I currently have 5 different Rippers with each having various version levels with different capabilities.

With the price of portable hard drives falling through the floor and their sizes growing rapidly, I have all of my Movies, TV Shows, Trailers and other assorted media stored on my Hard Drives. Having this field being a drop down box would greatly enhance XMMs usefulness.

Thanks,
Norm
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  06:58:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

There isn't a table for Rippers right now, I will try to add one in future.

Thank you!

Ale

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  10:04:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Please Ale, don't add so much new stuff until the actual bugs are still not all fixed!
Only thing that would be great is to go back to a separate BoxSet table like in XMM7 was.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Media Language, Media Label and (Number of) Disks are still existing as data field doublettes in video tab.They are already available in audio and/or disks tab.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.18 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07