Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Movie Manager does not save any settings.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Luis USA
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  09:56:01  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi, I have a problem with this movie manager, every time I run it, all the settings and grid views, basically everything is just back to like it was when I first installed it. It does not save any of my settings, or the grid views and dimensions and columns I choose, the skin color, all the treeview settings do not save either. I think it's a big bug, because I spend like an hour to set the manager how I want and then it just goes back to the original way.

Thank you.

Luis USA

damv59
Starting Member

France
10 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  14:05:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Luis,
I have the same problem
(Luis: you live in the USA?)
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  14:18:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
With the newest version xmm8 can't save anything with vista or higher, because the newest version is completely installed in the programs folder and the data is not installed in the programdata folder anymore. Therefor xmm 8.0.1.5 is no longer compatible with Vista or higher.
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  20:06:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yeah:

quote:
XMM Is now portable...

Indeed. With 8.0.1.5 it's really easy to stow this piece of alpha software (far) away.

If you call this portability then: mission accomplished.

It's really hard to understand ... there were quite a few posts regarding the whereabouts of data and binaries and how to handle UAC on current Windows versions. This is pretty basic stuff which really shouldn't render XMM 8 unusable on it's long way to beta status !

Now let's donate a little to get features back which were there already ...

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  21:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@Prinz

You are right when you install xMM in the Program Files (x86)folder. Such programs like xMM I always install in a special folder ( I have named this folder "Schweineprogramme") and then everything works fine. I think xMM needs two different installation modes (normal, portable).

Bye Byte
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

Madhouse
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  21:31:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I use Windows 7 x64 and I can save the changes I made to the gridlayout and other things.
You only have to change the folder and files ownership of XMM8.0.1.5 so that you can write to them.
They are set to read only and not to write to them.
So you have to go in the securitytab and change the owner rights.

Madhouse
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  21:49:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mawu

@Prinz
I think xMM needs two different installation modes (normal, portable).

Yes exactly. But this should have very low priority. First the program should be made feature complete and bug free with normal install method = binarys in programs folder and the rest in the programdata folder, like it was until 8.0.1.4
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  23:15:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Madhouse

You only have to change the folder and files ownership of XMM8.0.1.5 so that you can write to them.
They are set to read only and not to write to them.
So you have to go in the securitytab and change the owner rights.

But that's not the way it should be (and didn't work for me on Win 8 anyway). XMM needs to adapt to current (and upcoming) Windows flavours in a proper way.

Since 8.0.1.4 and beyond are no longer official beta but "production" versions I would also expect a proper migration of current settings and configuration folders.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  23:49:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think you will find that although the whole program (8015 onwards) now sits in the Program Files x86 folder, it only needs to write to the database which can be moved just about anywhere. My database sits on a share on a mirrored NAS for safety, and gives me no write issue problems Win 7 64bit
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  07:32:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Not quite right that only the database has to be writeable. What about the settings and the updates?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  08:25:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I really cannot understand all these problems...

I have test XMM 8 in windows XP, window 7 home, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8....

I have always install it with the default settings without change nothing to user permission, this to have the "standard" configuration of most users.

In the "Program Files (32) XMM have the permission to save all files (configuration etc...).

So, my question is... why in your PC XMM cannot write in this folder?

Probably the solution is to run XMmas administrator (right click->Properties ->Compatibility -> Run as administrator).

Please let me know,

Ale

PS: From the next release the default dir will be the User Documents, like XMM 7, so everyone will not have any problems...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

chaosID
Starting Member

Germany
35 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  08:56:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hmm..
I have updated to the 8.0.1.5 and start it without admin rights.
I don't know if it's different at a full installation but,
all my changes (style, grid column and height of the mini statistics) are saved at the next start.
Go to Top of Page

leslei

84 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  12:33:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had the Same Problen Of Unable to Save My Grid Of Use Scripts after I Installed Version 8.0.1.5
so i moved my Data Base to Another Harddrive and then UNINSTALLED Extreme Movie Manager 8 & Then Found Where EMM8 Was Installed (Program Files X 86\Extreme Movie Manager 8) and Deleted From Programdata Directory Deleted the Binary Directory
The Finaly REINSTALLED A Fresh Copy To My Harddrive (I Installed to A Secondary Harddrive For Backup Perposes ) And i open me Database file and i was then Able to Edit The Grid or Move Grid Line Around The I was Able to Save every thing OK
Go to Top of Page

Shocker74
Starting Member

Sweden
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  12:48:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And i'm about to give up on this fiasco.
I now also tried to install the program on another folder, not program files, and voila - same thing happens - of the 5 times i started the program no settings was saved, and 3 times the program crashed when shutting it down.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  14:01:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Shocker74,

just a quick question... do you close XMM with the "X" in the main window or by pressing Files -> Close?

Because another user has found that if you close XMM with the "x" everything is saved, otherwise not.

Ale

PS: I am glad that you learn Italian words...

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  14:56:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ale, do you mean the word "fiasco" with the italian words? [;P]
I can another italian word: catastrofe *grinning,ducking,running*

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  14:57:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, exactly...

Go to Top of Page

Shocker74
Starting Member

Sweden
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  17:36:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Files -> Close

Never occurred to me to exit using the X actually. ;)

Gonna give things another try when the next release comes, hopefully with correct director-names included.

Oh and i made a homemovie with some friends some 20 years ago and for some reason it wounded up being called: La brutto finocchio. Weird title i know, but the movie was aso.

Edited by - Shocker74 on 22 Oct 2012 17:40:38
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  18:24:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK, now I force to save everything also when you click on Files -> Close.

I have already upload a new version... can you test it for me? The number is always 8.0.1.5, but the EXE is new.

Please let me know,

Ale

Go to Top of Page

Miyuri

62 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  14:43:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Doesnt work.

I have renumberd my movies but after restart its the same like bevor. The .mdb has a new timestamp but the changes arent accepted.
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  20:56:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

OK, now I force to save everything also when you click on Files -> Close.

Works for me with 8.0.1.6 ... "close" and "[x]" both seem to save grid / window layout settings.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.22 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07