Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 How to consolidate duplicate entries?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

martel
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  23:39:05  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Bonjour,

I am new to this software (and by the way, I like it very much).

One of the problems I have is that after importing about 500 movies, I realise that the program create a few duplicate entries (for example I have 4 entries for "Peter O'Toole" in the "Actors" database.

Is there any way to consolidate them? I guess there is since there is a special filter to find them...

Also, (variation on the same question), in the "Country" field for the movies, I have a bunch of "USA" and a bunch of "United States of America", any way to consilidate them into "USA"?

Merci,
Yves

Yves Martel

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  08:26:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Martel,

I will make soon a function to "Merge" more actors together, in order to consolidate duplicates.

About the Country, you can use the "Fields Manager" function under the Tools menu.

Here use the "Replace a word on all fields" function.

Select all movies and then put the word to search "United States of America" and the new word "USA"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  10:54:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Outch, that would even change this phrase where it should not be changed. Like in title, plot or quotes!

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  13:34:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, you are right JDommi... but "United States of America" can be changed, not? I mean, even if in the plot there is "United States of America" it will be changed as USA, that is basically the same

Ale

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  14:39:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
But maybe there is a situation in which such a replacement is not wished. As example I have seen a documentary called "The United States of America". That would be result in the Title "USA". I think that even in the Alphabetical Order that would make a little but fine difference.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  15:41:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, you are right... I will try to add a function where you can select the fields to apply the changes.

Ale

Go to Top of Page

martel
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  16:39:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hum...

Renaming the country field is not the same as consolidating both entries. It would still leave 2 separate ID for the countries. Granted if you do a sort, it would look the same since both USA and USA would be side by side, but since you are contemplating a function to "merge" duplicate actors and movies, wouldn't this be also a case of merging 2 values in the database?

Yves

Yves Martel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07