Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Suggestions / New Features
 Configuration Files Path Under Options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

OzTechGeek
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  07:44:34  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Ale,

I know in release 8.0.1.5 you changed XMM to be portable so the configuration files are no longer stored under "%ProgramData%\Binaryworks\XMM8" but now "%ProgramFiles%\eXtreme Movie Manager 8", so that XMM can be portable.

I would like to suggest adding an tab under the "Options" menu to allow you to set the location of the configuration files and folders, there is currently no option to set where the configuration files are stored, I guess you could edit the config.ini file manually, but would prefer to have the option under the "Options" tab.

I would like to see the option to set the follwing folders, which I found looking at the old "%ProgramData%\Binaryworks\XMM8" folder and config.ini

Backups BackupFolder=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\backups\
CardsRepository
Chains ChainsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\Chains\
Configuration ConfigurationPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\configuration\
Databases OpenDatabasePath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\Databases\
EpisodeCards EpisodeCardsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\EpisodeCards\
Export Folder TargetDir=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\Export Folder\
HTMLTemplates
Languages
Layouts
LiveUpdateTemp
MovieCards MovieCardsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\MovieCards\
MyCollectionCard CollectioCardsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\MyCollectionCard\
NFOTemplates
PeopleCards ActorCardsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\PeopleCards\
PlugIns
Repository
Scripts ScriptsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\Scripts\
tempdir TempImagePath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\tempdir\images\
BufferCoverPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\tempdir\buffercover.jpg

I found these options as well but not sure where they are used, but would like to set these as well:

SerieCardsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\SerieCards\
DocumentsPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\
FileAviSearchPath=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\
FolderScanner=C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\

It would be useful to set these as well:
<DatabaseName>_androiddevice
<DatabaseName>_cover
<DatabaseName>_download
<DatabaseName>_mediacenterdir
<DatabaseName>_photos
<DatabaseName>_thumbs

The reasoning behind this is I do not usually backup anything under %ProgramFiles% to my offsite storage, and I don't always backup "%ProgramData%

All my data that is backed up are on a different drive. It would be nice to have the option in XMM to specify where the configuration files are stored, so that eveything is stored in the same location, so that if you need to reinstall XMM you can just point to your configurations files and having everything back how it was.

It would also be nice to specify the location and path of a config.ini file so that it is not stored under "C:\Program Files\eXtreme Movie Manager 8" for the same reason.

Thoughts?

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  07:57:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, but these wishes for having a portable version of XMM are killing.
At very first XMM should be installed windows conform and for EVERY OS so that it really will work without restricting any of these systems. Indeed a portable version is not really possible as on some systems many users don't have any rights to install or write anything to the registry. So how to authenticate XMM and store this information?
Portable, really nice! But as I said, XMM at first should work correctly on every Operating System.

That's my personal opinion.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

OzTechGeek
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  08:13:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree the new "portable" version is a pain, that's why I suggested the settings of the configuration file path under "Options", that way the default install can be reverted back to the data going under %ProgramData% and the program files going under %ProgramFiles%, and then you can set where the data is stored under the "Options" tab, making XMM portable if you specify the location of the config files to be the same location as the program files eg USB:
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  09:00:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
But for what is a portable program good if you are restricted to the unregistered version?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

OzTechGeek
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  21:11:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
JDommi,

ok now I understand what you mean, yes there is no point in a portable version if it is unregistered (I am not interested in a portable version, but I assume othere were/are since Ale made the change in 8.0.1.5), Ale could probably fix this since the registartion status is stored in the registry under HKCU, maybe store it in the config.ini?

On that note, I wonder what the point is of having the registry entires that currently exist if there is a config.ini XMM uses, maybe it would be better to store all values in the config.ini, or maybe just use the registry alone.

On the protable side of things, maybe an option would be to store the registry settings in a file in the XMM folder and when XMM starts it checks the registry to see if the XMM registry key exists, if not it imports the values from the store config file to the registry, that way a normal install would use the regiistry, while a portable install would launch XMM and import the registry entires.

Just an idea.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  10:51:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello guys,

I am trying to figure it out the best way to do this. The idea to look if there are data on the registry is good... I will take a look.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  15:25:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Another problem is that some 3rd Party Plugins use the Registry to read needed Info like current open db.
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  13:19:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with JDommi, at first the installation should be made conform to windows specifications. So that it works without any issues on windows systems beeing a restricted user and no admin. And without changing ntfs rights in windows systems folders, especially never in the programfiles folder!
I know opinions differ here wether xmm should install the user data to ProgramData or User\Appdata\Roaming. I would suggest the latter because it is more windows conform. And each user can use there individual settings.
The database can still be in a location accesable to all users, so one only has to maintain one database.

The more windows conform, the better xmm would be prepared for the future!

A portable Installation would be welcome as well. Thought i am not sure if needs to be 100% portable (witout writing anything to the
system registry.
At least for me writing to the registry (only HKCU) wouldn't be a problem.
So not beeing 100% portable would make it far easier.

The actual version of xmm, which installs everything into one folder, is already portable, with the exception that it writes to the HKCU part of the registry. But that should be accesible on most system, as it belongs to the user.(system on which you can't even write there, usually don't accept any portable real software, too)

@Ale you could ask the users for feedback here in the forum, how portable XMM should be.

I guess most would be happy, if the xmm installation would give a choise between a normal windows installation or a installation in only one folder at a alternative location. (Like at the moment)

Both should be easily done.
The installation could write a ini file into the programmfolder, which tells xmm where to look for the path to the users files. Either the programfolder itself or the users appdata\roaming folder, or for that matter any other path given in the ini file.

Edited by - zukkara on 05 Nov 2012 13:22:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07