Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Safely Removing USB device
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  18:34:49  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Not if you have already watched this solve both XMM 7 and 8 occurs, to make sure the extraction get the message that the device is in use and can not be removed. I have tried to extract specific programs and tells me the same thing. Story to be the svchost.exe process that is started but as there are not many which force the closure. It can make XMM closing, closing the process?
I'm using a DAS of 5 HDD and you have given me a scare with discs and I am in doubt whether to extend the more able DAS or NAS make.

Google translation.

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  19:19:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry... I have really understand nothing...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  20:22:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
google tranlation...... jojojojoj

I will try to explain better
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  20:39:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Use a storage system via USB, closing XMM and safely disconnect the USB, I get a message that says the device is being used, you close the program.
It happens because the svchost.exe process is active, and I must restart the pc, because there are multiple processes with the same name and do not know what to kill.
XMM may close the closing process.?

Uso un sistema de almacenamiento via USB, al cerrar XMM y al desconectar el USB con seguridad, sale un mensaje, que dice que el dispositivo esta siendo usado, que cierre el programa.
Sucede porque queda activo el proceso svchost.exe, y debo reiniciar el pc, porque hay varios procesos con el mismo nombre y no sé cúal matar.
Es posible que XMM cierre el proceso al cerrar.?
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  21:14:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Why restarting your pc or searching for svchost in the TaskManager?
In the tray you have an icon for the possibilitiy of safe removing your USB-device. I never have seen a program that automatically closes such a device.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  22:05:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We use the icon

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105880936/icono.jpg

and this is the message

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105880936/mensaje.JPG

I used the Safely USB Remove program and has not solved. I have not seen a program that closes this preceso ...... I'll have to change the DAS for NAS.

Edited by - washandgo on 05 Nov 2012 22:13:35
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  22:13:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That's a fault of Windows and not of XMM. XMM only can try the same as yourself and will get the same result. I think you have to wait a little more before disconnecting otherwise you could have loss of data.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  22:17:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I've waited hours to remove the USB, and always get the message ....
It failed two HDD, I could save.

Edited by - washandgo on 05 Nov 2012 22:17:31
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  23:09:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Nothing to be done.

events:
The application System with the id. proces 4 stopped remove or eject the device USB\VID_152D&PID_0551\DCAA5786873F.

and
id. proces 4 = System NT Kernel & System

The device action application the device 'USB\VID_152D&PID_0551\DCAA5786873F' was vetoed by'STORAGE\Volume\{7d9b8644-ec99-11e1-afc4-bcaec52a7c13}#0000000000100000' with veto type 5.
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  02:58:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Please check which application may have open handles on your usb drives.

Best tool for this would be Process Explorer. Run it in admin mode to be sure to catch all running processes. It has a search option (<CTRL>+<F> ... Find Handle or Dll). You could start looking for drive letters of your usb drives.

See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Go to Top of Page

Trixster
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  04:46:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Good answer yan00s, I've had the same problem before so I went to Microsoft fixit center

here:http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
and ran the usb tools here:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740816

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9802032

fixed the problem.
sometimes a file gets locked by a program so they could also try:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9726337

to fix the file system. I have no idea of washandgo's OS or programs but these programs have worked for me and many of my friends.
I'm running win 7 on a high end rig and haven't had the problem since. Hope it helps them.
edit note: above is still good for usb device problems. For original post see below post.

When you ask God to make you stronger, HE does not turn you into Hercules,HE gives you obstacles to overcome.

Edited by - Trixster on 07 Nov 2012 07:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Trixster
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  07:51:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I just had to resolve the same problem with my brothers system(windows 7 ultimate on an asus board and amd fx 1470 cpu) I think I understand now. I'll make the following assumption: You are talking about USB drives, and you know how to open control panel and the device manager applet,and the drive performance is not as good as it could be.
Here are the steps I took:
1.open control panel.
2. click the device manager applet.
3. click on the 'Drives' section.
4. locate your external USB drives in the list,double click to open their properties windows. You'll see a tab called 'policies' click this tab.
5. see if allow write caching is enabled for this drive,if not,enable it.(do this for each of your external USB drives)
6. restart your system.
You should now be able to safely remove the USB drive as you need and turn it off. Just remember once you remove those drives will no longer be able to see them in device manager until you turn their power off and then on again. You may notice better performance on your USB drives than before.
Always remember to use safely remove after you enable write caching I hope this solves your problem for you. (Hope it translates well.)
It's a windows problem not an XMM issue so I wish you luck.

When you ask God to make you stronger, HE does not turn you into Hercules,HE gives you obstacles to overcome.
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  22:28:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Magnificent program, did not know him, is very useful to know which DLL and services used by each process, thanks yan00s.
Trixster, thanks for the solution enabling the write cache, and is resolved, I can safely shut down the DAS.
The translation has been good.
Go to Top of Page

Trixster
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  23:57:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You're welcome my friend.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.15 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07