BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Suggestions / New Features
 Suggest "graceful fail" when updating info

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bc0203 Posted - 02 Jan 2010 : 07:33:56
When the system is trying to update information from, say, IMDB.com, and it runs into an error trying to update data, it displays an error message asking if you're still connected to the Internet and stops trying to import data. It's been my experience, however, that the system resumes without a problem 99% of the time when I click on OK to clear the error. This leads me to make two possible suggestions, one easy to implement in the short term, one that might take a bit more time:

In the short term, when the system fails to connect, display the error message, but keep trying in the background. Include something like "I had a communications problem, but I'll keep trying," in the error message.

In the longer term, in the "Downloading" window, have a number of retries (and possibly an average download speed) field. This will give the user an idea if their Internet connection has degraded severely or dropped, and give them a chance to fix the problem or cancel the update.

Thanks again for such an outstanding product!

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07