Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 Goodbye
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bob steacy
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  01:00:20  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I changed over to 8 when it was released. Since then its been an uphill battle of frustration. Bringing my collection into the new version resulted in lost files, no trailers, no file links to the movies (there were when I first brought them over) they disappeared. Tried redo ing my entire collection (4200 movies). Scanned 1/3 in -- errors all around, I then manually put many in, more problems. Just to name a few - where are my trailers all my movies had them, now I cant even download them when I update movies. - cant play the movies (no file link). Manually put movies in but Magicscript doesnt find most of them (they are in the different web sights ,imdb etc , i checked plus they were BEFORE i changed to ver 8. I cant get into cover manager. I cant find documentation on proceedures caused by the change so Im flying in the dark. After 4 days 14hrs a day!!!!! trying to rebuild the collection I have finally given up. It seems a new problem everytime. I have to have a program that I can trust , is well documented and not in a steady beta form (even thats not bad if it was well document so fools like me can see how I am supposed to do things.
I am not a novice to computers and software, Ive been at it since 1980
and i still have probs with this new version. Up until the last update it was a good program,,, its now a disaster and unfortunately I have to look at someother commercial program I can depend on. I know you guys work real hard at this piece of software and I do realize it is complicated
but the old addage "If it aint broken, dont try and fix it" would really apply here prior to this last change.... thanks for listening to my rant and I do apologize for my negativity.

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  10:12:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear that... why you don't continue to use the release 7 until the 8 will be ok for you... XMM 7 works like always and the scripts are the same.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

romarkin
Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  02:04:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am also ditching 8. I am going back to 7. Using 8 has been very frustrating- updating my collection just doesn't go as smoothly as 7. There are many little issues. Like it automatically filled in "Box Sets" with a random movie, and there's no way to clear this up. Another little gripe- if you have the column "Seen" displayed in 7, once you've seen it you can just click the little box in the column. In 8, you have to edit the movie, go to the tab, and click "seen". This does prompt me to enter in WHEN I saw it, but I can also use the "Date Entered" column to give me an idea of when I acquired a movie. I don't need both. I'd rather just be able to click "seen" in the column, a lot easier than opening the movie entry, go to the "personal" tab, and click "seen".

Also when updating a movie, I like how in 7 you see the info fill in the columns as it downloads. In 8 this all happens in the background. You really don't have a sense what is going on as much. But mainly the entire update feature seems buggy compared to 7- it doesn't read files as well, the reading of the files feature is not intuitive (you have to right click on something somewhere) and it's generally not as good as 7.

Also, here's another one. You can "maximize" the size of the edit window in 7. In 8, you have this tiny editing panel and you have to do a lot of scrolling to edit a plot summary, for example.

It might have helped to have some explanation as to why you needed to rewrite the entire program from scratch. It will take a long time for 8 to be as good as 7, at least it looks that way to me. I've given 8 two hearty tries but it's back to 7 for me.

Edited by - romarkin on 11 Dec 2012 03:53:30
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  07:23:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
XMM8 should be a program for beginners. Easy to handle was Ale's intention as every product review has said that it would be difficult to handle.
Maybe he gets new users for XMM8 but old users are more than dissatisfied at the moment.
I'm sure XMM8 will become as good as 7 but like you said it still will take some time...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  10:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi guys,

quote:
Easy to handle was Ale's intention as every product review has said that it would be difficult to handle.

In this product reviews xMM was compared with programs with maybe 10% of xMM's features or with programs that have another approach in grabbing movies infos. The big competitors are: Movie Collector, DVD Profiler and MyMovies. All three programs have their own user generated database which makes the handling of the program very easy (but not very flexible). I think xMM power users didn't want a totally new program but only an improved xMM7 version. I think Alessio is on the right way, the only thing I critize is that xMM8 already lost its beta status and that he is working on too many things simultaneously. A more systematic approach would be better. I know this is very difficult as I and the other guys flooding the forum with suggestions.

@romarkin
quote:
In 8, you have this tiny editing panel and you have to do a lot of scrolling to edit a plot summary, for example.

Just double-click into the field and a text editor will pop up and you can edit in a very comfortable way. BTW: This is an improvement compared to xMM7.

Bye byte
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 11 Dec 2012 10:26:25
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  13:40:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I will just answer to the Seen/Not Seen Question...

If you right-click on the Grid, and select "Grid Editable", you will be able to put a movie Seen on the fly..

For all other things... I know that XMM 8 is not like XMM, but I think that in few weeks of hard work will be much better. Time will tell.

Ale

Go to Top of Page

KCWhiteKnight

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  19:15:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A programmer's best asset is his user group. I agree there are a lot of suggestions and I have made a few myself. Part of the process when you're developing is to gather the suggestions and figure out which can be done easily and which will take sometime. The user expectations should be they are on the list. As what happens with any new change or modifications, you tweak something and something else breaks and it is a process. Is it a little more difficult to use? Yes it has so many features and things that you can do. My suggestion would be add a new section to the forum for lack of better term FAQ. We can all contribute and share and once we have a solid spot move a topic to a documentation section of website. I learn more about the program reading about what other people have for problems and what they are trying to do. There are some pretty seasoned users on the forum who have some great ideas for tricks and traps.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  20:03:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I for one, have completely gone to XMM8 as the new database structure handles people (Actors, Directors, Producers)and Boxsets in a much better way. I know there have been many bugs, but they are being worked through, and I can live with them knowing that the basic structure of the database has a better foundation.
I do agree that the background import is less visual, and it took me a while to get my script chains sorted out, but it generally gives the database all the info I ask it to. I usually have to fill in some personnel stuff but then again I had to do that with XMM7 so no extra work needed.
Overall I would like to say keep up the good work, I like it... so well done to Alessio, JDommi and the crew
I havn't added anything new to XMM7 on my machines since the early Beta
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Guys, We will try to do our best, as always...

I think that in few months XMM 8 will be a really good software, just need more test and fixing.

Ale

About FAQS... I can open a Forum Section for that and maybe add you as administrators.... what do you think?

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  20:55:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, in my opinion XMM8 will be good again when all bugs are fixed and when some more features from release 7 are back again.
Beside that the Boxsets should be handled in an extra table as before as it is at the momentarily layout totally trash.
As example the background import is nothing for me but fortunately I can disable it. The visuality during import - well I liked the old one more the new one doesn't show the things I would expect. But when all works fine I never look at anymore.
And finally we don't have to forget that Ale is the sole programmer and it is not his full time job and his crew are all the users that help him to improve this project.
Beside all grumping I hope that XMM8 will be as good as XMM7 was. Perhaps I still have a lot of feature requests collected that will come to Ale when the time is right and all bugs are exterminated

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  21:59:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would agree with the FAQ's. In the past I have tried to help with others problems and will continue to do so. I might be marked as a starting member but in reality have been using this software for at least a couple of years plus contributed with the introduction of the animated GIF flags. An IT technician of over 20 years and willing to try any method that might get around a problem. I'm sure the majority of XMM users will continue to look only forward.
Go to Top of Page

KCWhiteKnight

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  23:11:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm exactly like you 15 years here. I also don't expect the programmer to do the documentation. The thing I like about this group is the attitude. Sure can't do every suggestion but if you have a question or aren't sure about something, they respond. One thing I have noticed here is there isn't attitude. I've asked a silly question or two (Covering myself here cause J will read this and say only one?)and it's gotten explained. Yes I agree if you compare 7 to 8 it's beta and there are things that you could do in 7 that aren't ready yet in 8. Multiple editing was always a nice feature and seeing the information such as movie cover when adding movies. I'm sure those will get done sooner or later but I like some of the new features. The last release had a fix to the script manager so now I can check it out again while I'm doing my beta testing. The layout is a little different with checking the advanced features then the tab. It does take some getting used to as changes always do. Me personally I happen to like watching the actors picture pop by to ensure it was processing. I still think it's top of the list. Again part of that is the people building it and the people on the forum.
Go to Top of Page

SlayeRaiN
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  13:21:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I know wat u mean bro.. I don't use this program that long, only about 5-7 years. And had so many troubles on the road. Was lost entire db twice and every version or release add something good or bad which stay in your database. With time by adding movies and info in different versions of program and script your database become a mess. Today script take info in one form, tomorrow in different. And there is no like one site with correct information and good quality covers that u can just click reload all and forget about prob. The program one of the kind. I used to search many hours to find something on replace, and there is some stable programs, but they r not even close compare to xmm, so i still stick to this one. I am used to be a programmer, so first things u have to remember about programs based on database is backup and stability. Program ain't stable, u never know what comes next. Each new release has new bugs or what is most ridicules already known old bugs. And usually with new release u can't trace everything through, u do backup, then later u figured that was some trouble in it. I still have few backups from different version and releases. And I'm not sure if i can trust new version and keep adding movies in db or wait for month to have more-less stable release. Sorry for writing some hardcore, but it's true. I love this program but i can't trust it. You adding new features forgetting about maincore stability. Don't release new version if it's not totally done. Guys it's not a flash game u can run in beta version for check, we talking about database created by ppls for years.

Edited by - SlayeRaiN on 13 Dec 2012 13:24:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07