Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 Export issues for XBMC or WMC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  05:30:13  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure it out!

I am running 8.0.2.7.
I'm trying to export for XMBC (NFO).
I use the built-in export plugin. First I do a <CTRL>A to select all the movies in the main window.
Then I open the exporter:
Files->Export Collection->Export Movies/TV Shows->NFO File Export
I select the XBMC Template from the drop down menu.
I click on the "Start Now" button and it immediately pops up the export complete window. But I can't find any output files?

I tried using the external exporter (version 1.1). But the start button remains greyed out and I cannot launch it.

I even tried doing the export for Windows Media Center (xml files and covers, all in separate folders for each movie), but again cant find any output.

Thanks,
Brent

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  18:05:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Please let me know if you have problem also with the latest update

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  16:26:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Ale

Thanks again for all your hard work - I really like version 8!

I now have the latest (8.0.4.3) but am still stuck on the XBMC export.

Under the My Devices tab, the My XBMC button is greyed out.

On the Main tab, I do a <CTRL>-a to select all movies.
Then I click on Files->Export Collection->Export Movies/TV Shows->NFO File Export.
I select the XBMC-Movie-template.nfo for the Template.
I select the Save Every NFO File with the FileName of Movie File
I click the Start Now button and it immediately pops up the Export Completed window, but I cannot find any exported files!

I searched for any (*.nfo) files under my home directory and under the XMM8 install directory but nothing is there.

All of the movies in my collection are just in the database (DVDs), none exist as files on the hard drive. Is that the problem?

One more note:
Under the Tools tab->Collection Maintenance->Movies/TV Show->Re-initialize Media Center, it pauses for a moment, then pops up a window saying "CODE[2]:MCE Plugin seem to be not installed or NEVER LAUNCHED, please install it again or launch it inside MCE"
Does that apply to XBMC too? Or just MCE?

Thanks!
Brent

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  13:02:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but have you tried looking in the folders where the files were imported from? For me, it creates nfo right next to the files themselves.

@Alessio: how can I use the Jriver.nfo? Is there a help page somewhere?

Edited by - apd on 17 Jan 2013 13:02:59
Go to Top of Page

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:45:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but have you tried looking in the folders where the files were imported from? For me, it creates nfo right next to the files themselves.

Thanks for the reply, its always good to double check the basics!

I wasn't sure what you meant by the folders the files (movies?) were imported from? I have no movies on the hard drive at all, every movie I own is in DVD format on a physical shelf, so every movie title I add to Extreme Movie Manager is done "by hand" (e.g. typing in the name of the movie and downloading all the information from the IMDB script).

If you meant the folders underneath C:\Program Files (x86)\eXtreme Movie Manager 8\ I did ran a search in there for *.nfo and it only found 5 .nfo files, all of which were templates that come with the software.

Lastly, I also ran the same search for *.nfo at the top level of my user home directory and there were no .nfo files in there at all.

I feel really dumb posting this because I'm sure I'm missing something really simple and obvious, but I'm frustrated because I really want to be able to export the collection!

Thanks!
Brent
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  21:08:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I haven't used nfo files much, but I recently found out that in v7.2.3.6 they are created next to the original video file: same folder, same name. If the video file has been moved or renamed outside of XMM, then no nfo files are created in the original folder - I don't know if they are created in a default location or if they are not created at all. But the whole procedure seems to complete normally - there's no error message or other indication that smth went wrong.

Edited by - apd on 17 Jan 2013 21:37:33
Go to Top of Page

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  17:06:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

... If the video file has been moved or renamed outside of XMM, then no nfo files are created in the original folder ...

Hmmm, sounds like I may have to write an exporter that creates all the folders and a (blank/zero byte) fake .avi file for each DVD, then run the .nfo XBMC export from within XMM8.

Honestly, if I have to do that much effort, I may as well just write the XBMC exporter myself and skip the extra step of creating all the fake files and folders. :(
Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  14:48:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm not sure if I can help with this one but I'll try because I run both XMM8 and XBMC side by side
Most of my collection is in DVD format and Blu-ray format stored in the living room on bookshelves. I keep these catalogued in XMM8 so that I know what I've got and where I am with it. 1300 films and TV shows in total.
I also have XBMC running on a media PC also in the living room, which plays a few films and TV shows in MKV format that are stored on a network NAS. These are also listed in XMM8.
The XBMC nfo creator in XMM8 gives me the ability to filter the films/TV shows in the grid and then write a NFO which uses the actors, fanart and covers that are stored in XMM8 to show in XBMC. I use this as an alternative to scraping information from the internet.
I'm pretty sure that, once working properly, the NFO creator within XMM8 should create an NFO file and copy the actors, cover and fanart picture to the same folder as the MKV file is stored in. In XMM7 there was a third party plugin that worked really well but I found that it would not work from a filtered grid. In XMM8 (and I've only done limited testing) seems OK with filtering the films in my collection that are in file format, and then writing the NFO's from those films only.
Have I got all this right?
Go to Top of Page

JC1987
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  15:52:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi guys,

I've been trying to find the most efficient way to make XMM and XBMC work side by side.
With the nfo and fanart export in XMM I'm not completely able to let XBMC recognize that from within the movie folder.

I have all my movies on my harddisk in seperate folders. I want XBMC to read the info (nfo + fanart + cover) that is already there from XMM so XBMC doesn't have to scrape.

Anyone has a small tutorial on how to do this?

PS: XBMC exporter from Radioactive doesn't work on XMM8.
PPS: I saw Ale is implementing a "my xbmc" button in XMM 8 but it's still greyed out.

Thanks in advance,
JC
Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  19:20:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
XMM7 exporter by Radioactive did work with XBMC and an "Update XBMC Library" seemed to pick up all the information from the folders that the exporter had put there. This made the "update library" very quick (no scraper involved). I could never get it to export only the films filtered in the grid so had to run a separate database just for my MKV's. I would agree that Radioactive's exporter doesn't work with XMM8
Now that XBMC has lost the IMDB scraper, the need to get the built in XBMC exporter working is now really important to me. The sooner I can export all the good information stored in XMM8 to the NFO files the better.
XBMC is fantastic at serving media files to the media player ie TV
plus
XMM8 is fantastic at storing all the information relating to those files
The marrage of these two programs is important to all users of both, but I guess that Alessio is working on bug fixes.
Maybe Radioactive could be kind enough to bridge the gap like he did with XMM7
Go to Top of Page

JC1987
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  03:11:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the reply.
If I "update content" within XBMC I dont get the full info.
Mostly background fanart only and sometimes also covers (if the folder was alreeady imported using scrapers in the past).

Do you know a way for XBMC to import fanart, covers AND nfo info (plot, genre,...) from XMM8 file directories?

If we can fix this these 2 programs are all I will ever need...
Go to Top of Page

JC1987
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  03:13:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am also unable to save TV Show fanart and covers in the file directories (it only works with movies). hopefully Ale fixes this soon...
Go to Top of Page

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  15:52:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for weighing in on this, Michael and JC!
I'm essentially looking for that same magical combination of the two programs (XMM8 and XBMC) that you guys are.

The one twist I have (and I'm beginning to think I am unique in this need) is that I have no files on the hard drive at all - every movie I own is on a DVD on a shelf. I'm not using XBMC to browse the collection AND (then) play a movie, instead I use XBMC strictly as an alternative way to browse the collection. Once they select the movie to watch from the XBMC library, they go get it off the shelf and put it in the player.

I'd rather the family browse the XBMC library and select something to watch than to go into XMM8 to do it. I do this because
* they don't have to learn anything about navigating around and searching in XMM8.
* XBMC provides a "read only" method of browsing.
* They are only interacting with the TV, they dont have to switch between computer and something else
* the library browsing in XBMC is more polished and snazzy (sorry, Ale!)
* XBMC has more (simplistic) options for control: via remote, smart phone, etc

The unfortunate side of this is that I can't figure out how to make XMM8 export the .nfo files for XBMC. At least not for a whole collection that exists on DVD. Maybe the exporter would work really well for me if all my movies were on the hard drive as MKVs?

Go to Top of Page

Michael Clarke

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  18:55:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hiya Bparish
I thought that might be the case when I first read your post. I think the thing to remember about XBMC is that it's a media server and a very good one at that, I don't think it's ever going to be a database which is what you would like it to be, and I don't mean that horribly. Maybe one of the HTML exporters from XMM8 is more what you might be looking for.
XBMC is fantastic at viewing just about any type of media file from pictures through movie files to music.
I guess you could get it to export the NFO's but as no media files are present then a file structure would have to be created by hand and in my view thats not worth the effort.
If you already have XBMC installed on a computer near the TV, why not user a browser the view an HTML website that has been created by XMM8, just a thought
Go to Top of Page

bparish
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  19:55:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ya, you're right - XBMC is (does seem to be) designed more for viewing the media than for the database side.
I thought the exporter from XMM8 wrote out the .nfo files that XBMC reads?
In other words, I thought the exporter in XMM8 created all the folder and file structure (other than the media file itself) that XBMC would read and display as the library?

If that's true, that is what I was trying to get going. I'd like to maintain the database in XMM8 where it belongs, taking advantage of all the great features that XMM8 has. Then I'd like to export all that yummy goodness in a way that XBMC could browse the library and show it off nicely.
I was assuming the way to do that would be to have XMM8 create all the folders and file structure so it LOOKS like the movies are on the hard drive and ready to play, but aren't.

And yes - you have a very good point! This would likely be a lot less of a headache if I'd quit being so stubborn and just use the html exporter!
My only complaint there is that the XBMC library is much nicer looking (IMHO) and easy to flip through.

I guess I'll just be patient and see if Ale can get the exporter working for all movies. If I manage to scrape together some free time, I might take a crack at building my own, using the XMM8 csv exporter or something.

Go to Top of Page

zbyna
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  18:47:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bparish

Ya, you're right - XBMC is (does seem to be) designed more for viewing the media than for the database side.
I thought the exporter from XMM8 wrote out the .nfo files that XBMC reads?
In other words, I thought the exporter in XMM8 created all the folder and file structure (other than the media file itself) that XBMC would read and display as the library?

If that's true, that is what I was trying to get going. I'd like to maintain the database in XMM8 where it belongs, taking advantage of all the great features that XMM8 has. Then I'd like to export all that yummy goodness in a way that XBMC could browse the library and show it off nicely.
I was assuming the way to do that would be to have XMM8 create all the folders and file structure so it LOOKS like the movies are on the hard drive and ready to play, but aren't.

And yes - you have a very good point! This would likely be a lot less of a headache if I'd quit being so stubborn and just use the html exporter!
My only complaint there is that the XBMC library is much nicer looking (IMHO) and easy to flip through.

I guess I'll just be patient and see if Ale can get the exporter working for all movies. If I manage to scrape together some free time, I might take a crack at building my own, using the XMM8 csv exporter or something.

Hi, there is a way how xbmc treats offline media (dvds...)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_stubs

They prepared custom dialog for dvds, with possibility to add numbering of user collection. I think it is pretty well designed.

I will try to ask for new feature in XMM8.

Edited by - zbyna on 24 Jan 2013 19:00:52
Go to Top of Page

JC1987
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  21:50:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I've found a relatively easy way to get all the artwork properly done in XBMC!
It's not really involving XMM8 so I hope Ale (or others) don't shoot me for posting this here but I want to share this with you people until Ale finishes his XBMC plugin...

The first program you need is Ember media manager to get the fanart done (the posters are already there from XMM). I imported 1800 movies in EMM and it recognized and automatically downloaded around 1750 of them! The rest I added manually by entering the IMDB movie number (tt......).

After ure done with this step ure artwork will be saved locally in your movies folder. Then start XBMC and "add source". If you add source without scraping XBMC, it reads the fanart and posters, but not the xml and tbn files (in my case anyway). So I did use a scraper (themoviedb). Eventhough I used a scraper I think XBMC still gets the files from the local folders because it took only 20 minutes to import the whole database (1800 movies!). If the scraper would have to import everything this will take days...

After XBMC imported everything you are pretty much set! My library looks amazing now and I can control it from my couch...

Conclusion:

- I have XMM to manage my entire core collection (Movies and Tv Shows) and export nice lists or websites.
- I have Ember media manager to download the full artwork.
- I have XBMC to view everything on my chrystal clear television.

Perfect!

JC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.15 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07