Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Default settings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

BBBBrett
Starting Member

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  23:40:24  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi Guys,
I am still using XMM 7 as my movie database is very big (about 3400 movies) and I have gone to a huge amount of time and effort to d/l all info for the movies using a chain of scripts (TMDB, IMDB and Trailer Addict... IN THAT ORDER). I am having a few problems with XMM 8

1: Default settings on install has magic script immediately start and download info from the net and overwrite my chain info. As it takes so long for the install to convert the database my only real option is to start the database conversion and walk away as it takes hours to convert with nearly 90,000 actors and 3,400 movies. With so many actors and movies it is not practical re-d/l the actors info. I tried again yesterday to install XMM 8 and left it overnight to convert the database and when I got up this morning it had over-written many, I am not sure how many, movies with info from just IMDB. It would be much better if the default settings for magic script had to be set after install to avoid this. My preference is to not have ANYTHING being changed, overwritten or generally being messed with unless I am sitting here doing it myself. After so much time and effort to get it the way I like it the last thing you need is "automation" f*****g it all up when you are not expecting it.

2: There appears to be no way of turning off the device scanner working in the background, despite disabling it, it still runs.

3: Unlike XMM 7 the update pages do not show, or have the option to show the webpage with an internal browser, as so many movies have the same name (and surprisingly often also the same year) it makes selecting the right movie very time consuming as we have to open an external browser and check each title, when using a chain it means checking each title with external browser on 3 different sites. Much slower and more tedious. With the old Update pages which included the internal browser it was very quick and easy to check that the movie we selected was the right one, it was right there in front of us. Will this be added in XMM 8 later?

XMM 8 looks fabulous, it would be great if someone who knew how could get the slideshow to work on the fanart, LOL, it worked for me once in XMM 7 then stopped, but for the few seconds it cycled through the fanart of the movie showing it looked brilliant. I would cut off my arm to know how to get it to work on movie_bigcover.htm but no amount of tweaking seems to work.

If my large database is of any use to help out with anything please let me know.... :-)

Brett

BBBBrett

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  08:47:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
#1 Have you tried stopping the Magic Script Engine? Go to Main Info tab and press Stop. Then you can set your prefs and update what you want(be sure to clear the queue first).

#2 What do you mean? The scanner imports films on its own? Can you describe the problem a little better?

#3, you can find some solace using the little button with the lens in the Directlink selection window.

Edited by - apd on 24 Feb 2013 09:20:28
Go to Top of Page

BBBBrett
Starting Member

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  09:20:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you I will give that a go.

Cheers

Brett

BBBBrett
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have over 5000 movies and 100,000 actors and just ended up redoing my database in Ver7 so I can try to use ver 8 again.
One option as far as updating automatically that worked for me was to set it all up with my preferences using the example database. THEN open the real database so the default settings don't bite you. The auto option might be good for some people but not all :-)
Go to Top of Page

m_a_y
Starting Member

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  18:27:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have question for BBBBrett and JustME.
You have big collection. Did you add the movies one by one or at once.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For me I have added at first all titles and then in parts of 50-100 I have updated the info for.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  15:14:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have all my movies on seperate external hard drives, currently labeled EXT4 to EXT27. Each drive has only a root folder named the same as the drive, inside each of them is a folder with the movie name and inside that folder is a URL to IMDB, a NFO file with the URL in it, the movie and a image named the same as each movie.
I add one drive at a time to the database on original creation and the media label reflects which external drive it is on for ease of locating to play afterwards.
So as I add movies, I put them in my EXT27 folder and then use EMM to add movies from that folder (it picks up the IMDB link from the NFO too). Once the movies are added, I move them into a second root folder called DONE. When the drive is full, I remove the EXT27 folder and rename the done folder to EXT27 so it follows the same naming convention in storage. (if importing a drive with more than 200 movies you could use this technique too rather than skipping movies that are already entered)
Does that help? I don't update them automatically either, If I have a lot to update, I set it to take the first link (which it finds because the IMDB link is correct) and do a batch overnight. on the last recreation of the database I updated the info over several nights.
Does that help?

Edited by - JustME on 27 Feb 2013 15:15:59
Go to Top of Page

m_a_y
Starting Member

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  19:31:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes that's very helpful. I deleted NFO files. Because of that i can't show that to program. I didn't know these files so important for movies. I noticed my fault.I have two question. How can I recover them? or How can I show to program without NFO files. Did you know? or Does somebody know?

Edited by - m_a_y on 27 Feb 2013 19:32:28
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:16:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I create my own NFO files for each of my movies as that way EMM gets the correct movie for import every time. It also allows me to verify that it is English and if it is something that I want in my Database.
I copy the folder name and paste it over the movie name (so they are identical) and then create a new text document and paste the name on there too. So now everything is identical. I then find the correct IMDB link (usually from the original NFO file or a search on IMDB, or from the posting where I found the movie) and paste that into the text document. I then rename the text document to a .NFO and create a shortcut to the IMDB page within that folder.
That is a bit more work but after copying the cover image down from EMM after it is entered, I have a folder with everything I need to archive the drive.

Recreating the NFO files can be done automatically from within EMM if the information is there. In EMM7 the IMDB link is filed in Custom Field 8. You can also go to the main menu and select the export option and in there you have the option to have EMM create NFO files :-)
Also if you use the sort function of your database you can sort your movies by IMDB link and that will show you which ones are still needed before you create the NFO files
Does that help a bit?
Go to Top of Page

m_a_y
Starting Member

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:57:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes that's very helpful too. Thank you =). Looks like i should create my own nfo files. =)
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  21:24:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Your welcome. I lend my drives out to friends so that is the reason that I tried to make each of them self contained, as well as organized through EMM ;-)
Go to Top of Page

BBBBrett
Starting Member

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  03:27:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by m_a_y

I have question for BBBBrett and JustME.
You have big collection. Did you add the movies one by one or at once.

Mine have been added a few hundred a month for a couple of years. One problem for me is that when installing XMM8 as the install starts it finds V7 database and I want it to convert it. But at that point there is no option to tweak the default settings, after installation, which takes maybe 5 or 6 hours the program immediately starts automatically updating the collection. This really concerns me due to the amount of movies with the same name. By the time I get to the PC and check it's progress (I can't sit there for hours monitoring it's progress)I have no idea what has been updated and no idea if any of my previous work has been undone.
It would be great for me if V8 simply installed then I had the option to tweak settings etc THEN direct it to V7 database and have it convert it. Not sure if this is possible as I have just uninstalled the program (V8)every time it has updated without my knowing what it had done in my absence, and continued with V7.
Another point of confusion for me is when V8 installs it asks if you want to change the custom fields. I have no idea what this means nor what effect if any it will have on my collections database. It doesn't give any idea why you would want to do this, nor what the effect will be if you don't. It has taken countless hours to get XMM7 the way I like it, and it is bloody brilliant, nothing compares to it, so I am very reluctant to just say... "go ahead, make any changes you like, even if I don't know what the reason for the changes are or what effect they will have". LOL.
I am going to have another crack at installing today.....

Cheers friends

Brett

BBBBrett
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  07:43:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can disallow the conversion, set your tweaks and only then import the original db.

In the worst case, you could temporarily move your v7 db away from its folder, so that when v8 starts it won't find it and it'll just create a new db.
Go to Top of Page

BBBBrett
Starting Member

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  05:38:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

You can disallow the conversion, set your tweaks and only then import the original db.

In the worst case, you could temporarily move your v7 db away from its folder, so that when v8 starts it won't find it and it'll just create a new db.

Thanks I just installed V8 then opened the V7 database, it all worked fine as I had made sure to de-select automatically updating movies/actors in the background but when I select one movie and update it with IMDB manually it just starts randomly selecting movies and updating them automatically in the background. The only way I knew it was happening was the magic script icon twirling around. When I hovered over it I could see what movie it was updating. Lol. This updating engine looks great but I don't like it at all, way too dangerous for me. The V7 version was much safer, and controllable. With such a large amount of movies the risk of just screwing it up in the background is too great for me. I find even having to open a browser now to check a link really tedious and time consuming the old V7 with built in browser right there in front of you was so cool, so quick to check if you had the right link etc. And if you didn't want things updated in the background it didn't. I checked all my settings, it should not be updating anything i dont tell it to, but if I select one movie and update it just takes off and does it's own thing. Randomly. I think I will stick with V7 until the bugs are gone. Auto updating is just too risky if you have more than a few hundred movies I think. :-) Shame V8 looks fantastic, I love it but I wish it came with the old update interface.

EDIT>>>>

After much consideration I came to the conclusion that anyone who could put together such a brilliant program could not possibly have stuffed it up (providing of course they don't work for Microsoft)so I set a filter to show all the 130 movies that V8 was saying had not been web imported (they had but perhaps this was lost in the DB conversion or had not been saved correctly in V7)and let the MScript run its course. I am prepared to now concede i am an idiot for underestimating Allessio. :-) None of my TMDB or Trailer Addict info has been lost and MScript is doing it's work as it should working it's way through the rest of the 130 movies that are not checked as web imported. My little peeve with not having an internal browser is gone, all I had to do was put the main XMM interface on one monitor, the MScript interface on another and Google Chrome on a third. It is actually quicker than the internal browser and is a definite improvement. I am now very happy, and in the future will be less inclined to panic and call Allessio all the names I can think of just because I THINK he got it wrong. I will probably be wrong.

Cheers from downunder

Brett

BBBBrett

Edited by - BBBBrett on 11 Mar 2013 06:45:16
Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  13:06:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
:-)
It does require a bit of user input in order to get it exactly the way you (the user) wants it but that is fine by me too.
I almost have my version 7 completely cleaned up and will try again to import it into ver8.
I was having memory errors with version 8 but I personally believe that they came from my imported database so will start version 8 again with a clean database.
Its a great program and I think Ale is doing a very good job on it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07