Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Duration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
In the column chooser I can't find a way to display the length/duration of a movie in the Grid. Is it missing? Is there another way?

Edited by - apd on 07 Mar 2013 14:54:48

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:07:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Up to version 8.0.4.9 it was there:

I don't think the latest updates "killed" the Length field - the release notes didn't loke like anything changed for the grid ...

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:21:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"For security reasons, you may not attach files to any posts."

But I can assure you that in v. 8050 the Length is gone from the list.
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:39:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

"For security reasons, you may not attach files to any posts."

But I can assure you that in v. 8050 the Length is gone from the list.

Strange, strange. Only for you I just updated my installation to 8.0.5.0 and the length field persisted. I can even remove it from the grid and then add it again.

Have you said something nasty to XMM so it went into sulking mode and hides fields at randon?

BTW: you cannot attach images directly in the forum - you'd have to use some image hoster. Usually, I go for tinypic.

Edited by - yan00s on 07 Mar 2013 17:40:52
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  18:00:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
ok, try this pic:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2w3x6r9.png
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  18:24:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's not that I don't believe you.

When the field isn't listed in "Customization" the grid believes it has already been added.

What does your GridFields.xml in the Layouts folder say. Does it have an entry like this:

<property name="Item18" isnull="true" iskey="true">
      <property name="Width">53</property>
      <property name="Visible">true</property>
      <property name="VisibleIndex">8</property>
      <property name="FieldName">Length</property>
      <property name="Name">colLength</property>
      <property name="ColumnEditName" />
    </property>

And in the corresponding GridMainMoviesView.xml, is there something like:

<property name="Item18" isnull="true" iskey="true">
      <property name="Width">45</property>
      <property name="Visible">true</property>
      <property name="VisibleIndex">10</property>
      <property name="Name">colLength</property>
    </property>

If you find no reference for "length" / "colLength", then it will be gone indeed. You could try inserting the code from above into your XMLs but I have no idea if it will work or make things worse. You may have to adjust the Item # - but really, I'm poking in the dark here.

BTW > tinypic: If you grab the code listed in the second field of the "Grab Your Code" box and insert it into your forum post it will show the image inline.

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:18:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe it's possible that the field is still there but is not wide enought to be seen. That would make the most sense for this.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:32:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Sorry for your trouble - my wrong. The column was there in the Grid, but minimized (showing just dots, like the column on the left) and I didn't notice it.

On the other hand, I also hadn't noticed that when you pick a column in the chooser, it then disappears from the list; I always thought that the listing had an on/off function. It's not very intuitive like that, is it?

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:58:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
See the advantage: You don't have to check if a field is missing in the grid!
For on/off the grid has to have checkmarks or different colours and you have to scroll, scroll, scroll...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  20:42:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I get it, but if we could be somehow informed... (oh, god, not another confirmation box! :) )
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Informed about what?
A reral manual - that is it what's really needed since a long time...
But fortunately the forum can help in most cases.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  10:40:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I meant informed that the column is removed from the list, or how the list works. Yes the lack of a manual is a problem, but with the speed that new things are added to XMM it'd be impossible to maintain correctly. As for the forum, I can only say that I do get help from time to time, but I also have a long list of suggestions that never got a response.

To me, the real problem is that Alessio seems more inclined to add new features he deems commercially interesting(see his recent reply on a post about iOS) than to address the bugs or complete the existing functions. And though I understand how adventurous it feels to delve into new things and how important are the commercial aspects, the people actually using the program have different priorities. I do hope that Mawu's matter-of-factly approach has rung a loud bell.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  12:30:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, there are really still a lot of things to do. But I also understand that Ale is doing his best.
Such a long list of suggestions and bugs do need a long time to work on. And sometimes some points will surely be overlooked.
So just remember Ale one more time.
Since release 8 the most needed thing is a Bug Tracker in my opinion. Especially as Ale is really busy since a few months and sometimes hasn't even time to read ALL forum topics.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:45:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

[...]

Since release 8 the most needed thing is a Bug Tracker in my opinion. Especially as Ale is really busy since a few months and sometimes hasn't even time to read ALL forum topics.

We've already have a bug entry for that:http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10012.

Edited by - yan00s on 08 Mar 2013 18:05:45
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  17:57:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No, no, not a topic in the forum but a real bug tracker!

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  18:07:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

No, no, not a topic in the forum but a real bug tracker!

That's what the linked topic was asking.

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  09:47:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oops, someone who can read has the advantage

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07