Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 Strange scan results...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Barns
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  12:39:10  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I've recently started getting some very strange results when I scan my film drive. I've been using XMM for months with no problem but I've recently started getting a lot of results similar to this:
Title = $icxah86
File Name = $ICXAH86.mp4

All the files (except for the films I'm looking to add obviously) are similar and start with the $ sign.

I have no idea where the results are coming from since the files themselves do not exist on the drive at all. I've checked show hidden items, searched the drive and everything and they just do not exist. Are they remnants from something being picked up by XMM?

I know I can tell XMM to ignore them but I'm just interested to know where they're coming from and if I can get rid of them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For me it seems as if the read routine of XMM is defective or your filesystem itself is compromised. Maybe something with encryption?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Barns
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  17:59:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I've never used any encryption on anything. My life is far too simple to bother with such things!
Go to Top of Page

Barns
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  07:39:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I found out what it was and thought it may be of use to someone else in the future. It was the partial file created when downloading a file using uTorrent. I was simply copying and pasting the whole folder over and, even though the partial file didn't exist any more, it was picking up its trace.

If I cut and paste the files themselves out of the relevant folder and into the new folder then the strange results don't appear.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  10:15:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ah, good to know. Thanks for this info!
And are those file parts hidden?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  07:35:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for this info!!

I have never get this error because these folders are in different drivers on my network, so XMM do not scan the torrent.

Thank you!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Barns
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  09:58:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
JDommi - It's very strange. The partial files are not hidden and disappear from view (even if you check "Show Hidden Items") as soon as you delete the download from uTorrent. However, some extra-hidden (?) trace must remain since it shows up in the scan if I cut and paste the whole folder over whereas it doesn't if I cut and paste the individual files (usually an .mp4 and an .srt) from the original folder to the new folder.

Whichever way, you CANNOT see the partial file at all once it's been deleted from uTorrent but it still somehow shows up in the XMM scan results....very strange!
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  19:59:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Are you on win 8?
Go to Top of Page

Barns
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  12:54:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes apd.
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  13:27:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It has been reported in the forum that 8 creates some "phantom" files. I've no epxerience, but maybe you should look at that direction.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.18 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07