Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Advice - Should I move to XMM 8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  12:03:16  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,
I've XMM7 and am reluctant to change to 8 because it seems to do nothing extra that I want and looking at the forum, it has as many bugs as XMM7 (where at least I know what doesn't work!!)
The only thing that I really need that doesn't work well in XMM7 is Series and Episodes but judging from the forums there are issues in XMM8 as well.
Any thoughts?

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  09:47:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My suggestion is to test XMM 8.

You can install XMM 8 in a different folder of XMM 7, both software will work.

Give a try to XMM 8 and if you are not happy you can continue to use XMM 7

Remember that XMM 8 will just import the database of 7 without convert it, this means that the database of XMM 7 will not be modified by XMM 8

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

KCWhiteKnight

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  16:06:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I went back to 7 as my main program. 8 has so many things that just don't work and if you're building a large database it's not user friendly enough to make it worthwhile. In fact prepping to download your data takes more time trying to figure out the correct movie to take. I've seen suggestions of back up your database which is always a good thing but before you do any modifications to actual files you should back those up as well. Renaming giving some strange results and if you're adding year the logic would be it would take the year from the table and use that. It doesn't always do that in fact if you have movies with a couple of parts say 1-2 and 2-2 it gets stuck and uses a year until it catches back up with itself.
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  17:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

my recommendation: stay with XMM7

Indeed, there is some improvement in xMM8 (additional data fields, file scanner, filters)but on the other hand there are many bugs and missing or degraded features from xMM7. For series there are no visible changes between xMM 7 and 8. BTW: What does not work for you with series?
For me xMM8 already fails in importing all data from xMM7 correctly and completely (keywords: dvd features, boxsets)

Bye Byte
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  08:39:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
KCWhiteKnight/Mawu: Thanks guys. Confirms my own view. Especially some of the bugs. I've 3500 entries in my database and the idea of having to check them after import . . . . . Well its not what computers are about!

Mawu: Series. Well I have a script issue in that I cant import the episodes of Person of Interest. It gets stuck after episode 4. (Reported March 2012 and also by PedroNog)
and there is no 'seen' field for an episode in quick edit (at least its not in the column picker) so you have to go through each episode in the edit screen which is tedious at best

Alessio: Just my 10c but you really ought to get things to work before releasing an official version. I am sure there are lots of people here who would be happy to test a beta release. Also, some of the additions are so obscure. Do you ever stop to find out how many people want some of the things you add?

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 22 May 2013 09:20:04
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  09:16:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Rincewindwiz you are right, there are a lot of bugs with XMM that need to be fixed, but I have also good feedback from XMM 8.

Some problems that people wrote are hard to reproduce, this is why I take so long time to fix.

For example, I have never lost any data when I close XMM. I suppose that is related to OS, but I am not sure about that.

I will try to fix everything asap.

Ale

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  09:19:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have try just now to import "Person of Interest"... IMDB Script with XMM 8 and seem to work correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  09:44:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Alessio
1. Scripts: I thought scripts in 8 were basically the same as scripts in 7. Have you changed the code that runs the script?
Anyway the error was reported in XMM7 in march last year and by two of us and it never got fixed
2. Errors:
* This is why you need an error log/monitoring system. If you cant reproduce it and no one else has it then ignore it. (Similarly for enhancements - give priority to those enhancements that are requested by many people)
* You should give first priority to error reports that are accompanied by a version of the database and clear instruction on how to generate the error otherwise you will waste much of your valuable time.(IMHO of course:-))
3. Speed: Several of us with large databases reported major problems with speed (I suspect because of loading the actors database when mostly its never required). Has this been fixed in XMM8?
4. XMM8 Anyway, maybe I'll give it a go but it is worrying that there are so many errors. At the user end, errors cost a lot of time. 1st we often don't notice; then we have to check; then we have to fix the mess the error made; then we have to put together information so you can fix it; then we have to wait and wait . . . :-(

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 22 May 2013 09:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  09:59:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Scripts for XMM 8 are different in some parts... thats quite normal that an old script of XMM 7 doesn't work.

About the other things I agree with you... I try to accelerate the bug fixing.

Ale

Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  10:34:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

I have try just now to import "Person of Interest"... IMDB Script with XMM 8 and seem to work correctly.

Not so for me. (You might want to move this to script bugs)

Currently I have 5 episodes imported. (XMM imported 1-4 in one go and then stopped. If I select the series again and 'update selected' XMM updates the series information and provides a list of episodes. I select all (series 1 episode 6 to series 2 episode 12) and XMM only imported series 1 episode 6. It actually looks like its 'stuck' so I click 'skip the show' and found just the first episode in the list I selected has been imported.

To investigate further, I deleted the entire show (right click the show and delete). Then
Add show from the internet; enter the Title (suits) then
Update from the web and then problems . . . . .
All options are greyed out except 'Open the Wizard' and that does nothing - or at least no wizard opens

So I try Quick 3 and select a script but the TV script is not on the list.

So then Save and exit; find the show in the alphabetical list and try update selected but all options are greyed out.

Then Update manager - ahha success. So I click Import TV shows; Continue
Select the correct series from the list (Suits 2011 TV series)
XMM imports the series info OK
XMm then gives me a list of episodes - so I select all of series 1 and series 2
It finds episode 1 and then hangs/stops/does nothing for several minutes.
And now XMM is taking 50% of one processor, reading and writing nothing so I guess its stuck.
Skip this show terminates everything correctly and XMM displays the first episode as imported.

This whole process has 'wasted' nearly an hour of my time (and its at least second time if done it).
Then I would have to spend 30 minutes undoing the mess (importing the 5 episodes I previously had imported one at a time) the error has caused.

If too many of your users have to do this sort of thing too often, you will lose them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07