Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Start Up Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

dimxr

85 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  16:01:46  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I had mentioned this problem in the past, nothing was done about it I guess...
So, I mention it again:
From double clicking the icon of XMM8, until the program is 100% loaded, it takes 2 min & 8 seconds, with XMM being the only program running.
It obviously takes longer to start when other programs are used in the same time.

Having in mind that a heavy program such as Photoshop or Autocad, take less than 30 seconds to start, I am wondering, what's going on?

Is there any fix of that in the horizon?

Thanks in advance.

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  16:42:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For me it takes about 30 secs. on Win7 64 Bit. But it depends on the size of your database, too.
Just as info about loading time: When I start Delphi it lasts nearly 7 minutes until I can load/start a project.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  17:17:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Same here - about 30 sec. for a db of ~410 MB.

As for the question what's happening: you can watch it in Process Monitor (available for free from MS / SysInternals).

To me it looks most of the activity is needed to fill the various grids. DB related operations take approx. 20 seconds of the total process.

Go to Top of Page

dimxr

85 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  17:27:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My database has ~3500 movies. Does that justify all this time?
I am using Win7 x64, too...
What drives do you guys use? SSD or normal ones?
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  17:34:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dimxr

My database has ~3500 movies. Does that justify all this time?
I am using Win7 x64, too...
What drives do you guys use? SSD or normal ones?

How big is it? The database, 'fcourse.

How many artists?

Here, the db itself resides on a sata-2 hdd. But the tmp directory is on a SSD and this may help a little because all the JET file operations are taking place there.

Go to Top of Page

dimxr

85 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  18:08:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The .mdb file is 724MB.
But the Actors are 64.000 !!!!

The whole Program and the Database files reside on SATA 2 HDD...

Edited by - dimxr on 27 Jul 2013 18:09:20
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  18:18:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dimxr

The .mdb file is 724MB.
But the Actors are 64.000 !!!!

The more data / records there is / are to read the longer it will take.

We are at end of the 'xmm8 data structure universe' when it comes to all those nifty and / or needless artist information our scripts brainlessly collect (*) on our behalf ...

(*) The scripts aren't the ones responsible for this.

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  10:46:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I 've made comments about speed before. Now, v.8269, with a db of 105mb, XMM takes 22.6 secs to run and load the grid, on an ssd and an I5 2500. It is by far the slowest program that runs on my PC.
Go to Top of Page

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  12:38:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apd

I 've made comments about speed before. Now, v.8269, with a db of 105mb, XMM takes 22.6 secs to run and load the grid, on an ssd and an I5 2500. It is by far the slowest program that runs on my PC.

But that's fast!

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little delay on start-up if the overall program performance would be smooth. Unfortunately this isn't the case either. But there's still hope ...

Go to Top of Page

JustME

371 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  12:11:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Once you do a compact and repair on the database does it work any better?
Files>Database Functions>Compact and Repair Database
It has improved performance on mine in the past.....
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  14:16:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yan00s
But that's fast!

I don't think it's fast, running off a very quick SSD and this CPU.

Also, the same db takes 16 secs to run and load in the last v.7. (And keep in mind that in the conversion to 8 the db lost all persons after the first in multi person fields (directors, producers etc) so it's lighter, and it still takes 7 secs longer to load.

And yes, the editing speed is still slow, not only in response but also due to the far less effective quick edit window.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.18 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07