Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  22:23:19  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I think these are quite good APIs for the IMDB site. Maybe someone can make a script for.

1. http://www.izzysoft.de/software/demos/imdbphp-dev/
2. http://imdbapi.poromenos.org/
3. http://www.omdbapi.com/

This could be inetersting, too: http://code.google.com/p/moving-pictures/

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2014 :  20:51:31  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, i am developing an imdb api. Maybe he can come well:

http://www.myapifilms.com/

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  16:56:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sounds good!

I will try it and let you know.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  17:31:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your offer, MDKPredator.

I have tried your site but unfortunately I don't get any results...
As example:
http://www.myapifilms.com/search?title=Matrix&format=JSON&aka=0&business=0&seasons=0&technical=0&filter=N&exactFilter=0
-> no response without any error message.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  18:09:57  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi JDommi, i have added 2 new parms (limit and offset). Probably dont get any results because was recovering 200 results (¬¬'). With new param limit should not happen. If you can try again, you can see up to 10 results:

http://www.myapifilms.com/search?title=Matrix&format=JSON&aka=0&business=0&seasons=0&technical=0&filter=N&exactFilter=0&limit=10&offset=0

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  19:22:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, now I get results :)

At first this API looks best of all the others I already have seen so far!

As I haven't tested it deeply a short question: the limit option is for what exactly?
I only have seen that the result is much bigger with set to 10 than to 1. I did not have cpmpared the results one by one yet.

A second question: Is it possible to combine for the search title and movie year? In XMM we can search only by title or by title and year.

And what really would be good (still missing feature in XMM as cookies are not processed) is setting a language as default for some values like movie title and mpaa?

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  20:33:54  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Limit option limit numbers of results retrieved. For example, searching "Matrix" in IMDB you get 200 results. With limit you get N first:
E.G.:
Limit 2 --> tt0133093 and tt0106062
Limit 5 --> tt0133093, tt0106062, tt1778413, tt0234215 and tt0242653
Limit 3 & Offset 2 --> tt1778413, tt0234215 and tt0242653

To find, perhaps order varie, but results are the same.

As for your second question, will try to implement

For titles can search in any language, but always will be returned in English:
E.G.: The Fast and the Furious (English), A todo gas (Spanish), Velozes e Furiosos (Brazil) or Rapides et dangereux (Canada) retrives tt0232500.

Regards and sorry for my noob english :)
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2014 :  20:52:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
As you can see my english is not the best, too ;)

Coming back to the language - I know that the result will always be in english. I thought of something like:
if the prefered language is spanish then returning in a special field like "Local Movie Title" the spanish title only (if exists!).
So I'm suggesting an additional parsing of the result for all localised info. Title, MPAA and what else fields do contain country specific values.

Edit:
Just seen in your Change log "Add new errors" - Do you have added bugs? Better to remove them

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 05 Jan 2014 20:56:14
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  00:19:25  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I understand, but this query can be very heavy.
First would have to consult the page "releaseinfo" (aka option = 1). After checking that the language matches the country (Spanish! = Spain, Portuguese! = Portugal! = Brazil).
I think this should be subject to each user.
I have also implemented the "language" option, but the only difference is the rate of the film.
EG:
Lang: en-US --> Rated: R
Lang: es-ES --> Rated: 18

I have also removed the change log entry. Pretended to say that I have added new error codes, hehehe. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  07:35:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Okay, you're right. Haven't thought about that. Should really be done by script.
After work I will have a more deeper look at the API. Would be great if Ale finds time to talk to you, too.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  13:14:14  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, i made a last change, if reported year, the limit is ignored.
If you see anything, let me know.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  14:50:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It works as far as I can see at the moment.
One thing that's missing: language only has english and spanish in the combobox. In the search string itself I can change to de-DE and I get a result. But it's the german one or the spanish (last entry) one???
For the most used languages there should be an automatic conversion from de-DE to "deutsch" or "german". Most users don't know these country codes.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  18:38:29  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, I added the combobox all codes there, so there will be no problems. As of January 8 updates will not hold because I'll be away on business.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  18:55:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
One big thing as I now have had a look at the result:
Why getting full info on every result? There should be a list of the movies to decide which one is the desired.
It's a waste of band width and time this way.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  19:46:21  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The results are obtained from the main page. aka, business, technical and seasons: yes slow search. While these 4 filters are a No, time and bandwidth will not exceed.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  20:01:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Anyhow retrieving all info instead of a list never can be optimal.
And multiply all the info and the time if you are updating dozens of movies/TVShows.
Benath that the scripts in XMM have to separate whole bunch of info instead of parsing a list and getting info of one single movie.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  20:04:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think there is a logical error in your search routine or a missing option.
all words of the movie title are combined with "OR" instead of "AND".
This is resulting in too many wrong results. Changing exact matching to true will not always show any result if one word is missing. Example: "The Last Starfighter", "Last Starfighter" or "The Last Star Fighter".

Two suggestions:
1. separate multiple results by a line break
2. show movie title at first and not somewhere in between the whole bunch of info

And once again: show a list of movies if there are multiple results instead of merging every movies' info.

*EDIT*
What about retrieving additional info like full cast with characters and actor bio or at least the actor's imdb link?
Without having the chance to get every info it's for XMM not really usefull...

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 07 Jan 2014 20:19:07
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  23:38:19  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, add more parameters is not costly I will when I can.

As for the search, the results are the same as in IMDB. If the option "Exact title matches" is active it is logical that only bring 1 result for "The Last Starfighter" and none for "Last Starfighter" or "The Last Star Fighter". These titles are not the same as the first.

The results are returned in a single JSON string. If a line break is inserted this string would be invalid. This link validates and format JSON strings: http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

This JSON string should be handled to obtain the results, so it should not be important the order in which fields are returned.

It is true to recover missing data, as you say, full cast of characters or the link of the actor, but the API has a week of development. With time, I will try to improve it :)

Thanks for your comments JDommi.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  07:26:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Search: On typing in on imdb.com the behaviour seems a litle bit different.
JSON: I didn't know that as I only have worked with XML yet.

One week of development: I have read that and therefor I'm trying to direct you a little more in XMM direction

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

MDKPredator
Starting Member

Spain
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  22:06:18  Show Profile  Visit MDKPredator's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, I returned and I bring some updates for my api:

• Add JSONP format

• Add filter Actors

• Add filter Biographia

• Add search by Name ID

• Renumbered error codes

• Changed Actor from List to JSON

• Add TheMovieDB API

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  14:50:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Welcome back
Ans as always my 10 cents
If a search with exact title doesn't show a result you should perform the same search without the exact title option. Maybe optionally switching to 10 results, too.
The actor search I will test later @home as I have more time then.

*EDIT*
Just tested the Actors API.
At first searching by name is missing and second what about the filmography?

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 12 Feb 2014 18:15:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.17 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07