Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Can't launch or reload after update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

av1
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  15:46:12  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
New user -- have liked it so far though number of bugs.

I updated the program last night (Dec 28). However, after update, program stopped working and won't launch anymore. Restarted the computer. Tried to re-install; not allowing me to complete. Was planning to uninstall the program and then reinstall it but would like to save the data before uninstalling (have spent hours putting in data). Windows 7 computer. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, av.

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  15:53:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://www.binaryworks.it/cgi-bin/data/wiki/doku.php?id=backup_database

Manually Backup

To make a complete Backup including all covers and actor pics you have to follow these steps:

1. Open the folder where your database is located.
2. Select the desired database file as well as all related subfolders.
3. Copy all selected files and folders to any location you want.

Note:
In a pitch opening this backup will do it, too, as well as copying everything back.

For completeness is here a list of the database and all related folders (depending on your options not every folder may exist):
[database_name].mdb
[database_name]_androiddevice
[database_name]_cover
[database_name]_download
[database_name]_mediacenterdir
[database_name]_photos
[database_name]_thumbs

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

av1
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  15:56:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your quick response!
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  15:57:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You're welcome!

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

av1
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  16:08:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am not able to find the database. I have a folder named "eXtreme Movie Manager 8" in "My Documents". The folder within that named "Databases" has only example file folders and databases. I did a global search for "*.mdb" with no luck. I did a routine install; any suggestions on where else I should be looking.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  16:34:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, databases can be anywhere. You have to know where you originally have saved your database and which name you've given.
Just try opening the config.ini and search for "DatabaseFile" for the last opened database and "MostRecentDB" for all previously opened databases.
If the ini-file is missing then you must search for all mdb-files in any location.

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 29 Dec 2013 16:35:31
Go to Top of Page

av1
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  20:10:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I was not able to find a database even after a comprehensive search -- pprobably got deleted when I tried to re-install the program. But thanks for your suggestions. Will have to start again.

As an FYI, I am having problems with the update. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled EMM. The re-installation worked fine although I did not play with it much. Decided to do the updating before spending any more time on the program and am glad I did so. Again, I am unable to launch the updated program. The installed version is 8.0.7.1. The new release (accessed through the update link within the program is #8190.

Not sure if any one else has had these problems, but I am not planning to update either the program or the scripts.
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  22:45:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Try searching the forum for w8 related posts. I remember smth mentioned about ghost issues. Uninstalling shouldn't delete your dbs and files.

And the obvious: Have you tried searching your HD for *.mdb ?

Edited by - apd on 29 Dec 2013 22:47:37
Go to Top of Page

av1
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  02:17:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks APD. I did search for *.mbdb and also did a global *.* search and went through every file by date including deleted files. I suspect that when I re-installed, it overwrote the db file because it reverted to the examples that come with the program. I had been experimenting with exporting CSV files so I was able to recover at least part of my previous data. Still not sure why the updated program refuses to launch but I am not experimenting with it any more.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07