Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

blumsden
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  16:25:59  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I have a problem using Media Browser in Vista Media Center. I can get the opening page in the Media Browser plugin to display all the movies in my database. However, when I click on a movie poster to show more information, it doesn't display the metadata, but only displays links a shortcut to the movie files like this:

It seems that Media Browser is ignoring the xml files completely even though I have imdb.xml and mymovies.xml in the mediacenterdir folder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  10:30:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

it's strange, what release of Media Browser do you have?

please try also to "Re-Initialize media Center", it's on the Media center menu

Alessio

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

blumsden
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  12:32:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have tried 2.02 and the latest 2.04 beta. I have tried to reinitialize and also deleted the mediacenterdir and had EMM recreate it.

The metadata displays properly when I go back to video browser v1.3.2, but then I have other problems (Invalid Application - unable to launch "Video Browser").

Previously, I tried MyMovies database, which stores the metadata in the folder with the movie files. In that case, Media Browser displayed the metadata properly. Could this make a difference, where EMM stores the data in the mediacenterdir folder and uses shortcuts to the video files?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  01:28:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had the same problem with 2.02. Have not tried 2.04 version yet. Will report later

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

blumsden
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  01:45:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When I download data using salami's movie organizer, Media Browser works beautifully. There must be an issue with the way EMM stores the xml and shortcuts?

Hope you can help, since I would much prefer to manage my collection using EMM.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  04:49:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I can confirm that I have the same problem with the latest version 2.04 as well.

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  08:14:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Guys,

I will try to find the bug, I have test it more deeply and sometimes I have problems too...

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  08:21:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Guys, me again,

I suggest, for now, to revert back to 1.3.2 until I find the possible bug...

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  16:30:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I did lot more testing yesterday and somehow got it working. Here is the problem and my workaround

Salami's works great with Media Browser because it stores the movie image and the movie's XML file (mymovie.xml) in the same folder as media. So If am using Salami the directory after getting the metadata would look like

C:\MyVideo\Terminator 2\folder.jpg
C:\MyVideo\Terminator 2\terminator2.avi
C:\MyVideo\Terminator 2\mymovies.xml

So a movie folder contains 3 things at the minimum-
1. Folder.jpg image for the movie poster
2. Actual movie file (shortcuts to the movie stored elsewhere don't work)
3. mymovie.xml file containing the movie metadata.

What XMM is doing is basically creating <databaesname>_mediacenter in Documents folder and storing all the Video Browser related information under it. Movies are stored elsewhere. So here is what is happening in my setup-

In my setup my movies are on a sepearte server (movieserver) in their own folders. So they are -
//movieserver/disk1/terminator 1/terminator1.avi
//movieserver/disk1/terminator 2/terminator2.avi

//movieserver/disk2/mask/mask.mkv
//movieserver/disk2/die hard 1/diehard1.iso

XMM is on a different computer (homepc). So after installing video browser on my homepc and running XMM, the homepc directory is as follows for the database called "example"

C:\shaurya\documents\extreme movie manager\database\example_mediacenter\terminator1\folder.jpg mymovies.xml
C:\shaurya\documents\extreme movie manager\database\example_mediacenter\terminator2\folder.jpg mymovies.xml
C:\shaurya\documents\extreme movie manager\database\example_mediacenter\mask\folder.jpg mymovies.xml
C:\shaurya\documents\extreme movie manager\database\example_mediacenter\die hard1\folder.jpg mymovies.xml

This setup does not work because the media file is locatied elsewhere. If I put a some video file in each of these folders ...Terminator1, terminator2, mask, die hard1, then the video browser works. Note that media file name can be anything. It can be abcd.avi under terminator1 and so forth.

Hope this helps.

Short term immediate solution would be to put the files needed by video browser inside the movie folder so in my setup it would be-
//movieserver/disk1/terminator 1/terminator1.avi folder.jpg mymovie.xml
//movieserver/disk1/terminator 2/terminator2.avi folder.jpg mymovie.xml

//movieserver/disk2/mask/mask.mkv folder.jpg mymovie.xml
//movieserver/disk2/die hard 1/diehard1.iso folder.jpg mymovie.xml

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  00:55:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Alessio,

Any solution..I have posted this issue on the TGB forum. Lets see. I think the problem is XMM is not providing any mechanism to let VideoBrowser know where the movie files are.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink/323705/324046/ShowThread.aspx#324046
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  08:04:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

please sorry very much for my late reply!

I haven0t fix it yet, I hope to find a way soon. I think the problem is related to "special" characters, like german Umlaute, that cause Media Browser to not show the info of the movie.

Thank you again!

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  15:54:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Alessio,

I have to disagree to some extent although I could be wrong.
XMM is not providing any pointer to actual media file for Video browser. How is video browser supposed to know where the media files are.

The .vf file created in the myvideo folder points to the metadata folder (under database folder) created by XMM. But there is no link b/w these metadata folders for each movie to the actual movie folder.

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  16:12:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by shaurya

Hello Alessio,

Any solution..I have posted this issue on the TGB forum. Lets see. I think the problem is XMM is not providing any mechanism to let VideoBrowser know where the movie files are.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink/323705/324046/ShowThread.aspx#324046

Hello Alessio,
Just received the response here at TGB
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink/324221/324207/ShowThread.aspx#324207

basically the metafile needs to be stored with the media. Can you please implement it real quick and I can test it out.

So rather than storing metadata for example database in example_mediacenter, store the metadata for each movie with each movie in the actual movie folder.

Please implement it real quick and I will test it out.

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  18:54:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi shaurya,

Please sorry for my delay.

I have create the "_mediacenterdir" for all people that haven't the collection in the Hard Disk but in CD/DVD, so they can "see" the collection also in Media Browser.

So, if I have understand correctly, Media Browser WANT a movie file in the folder (also a fake, or little, but It want a file .avi inside the folder). Have I understand correctly?

Thank you,

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  20:27:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Alessio,

OK I now understand the reason to create the _mediacenterdir..its for people who have cd/dvd not in hdd. fair.

Now for media browser....The fake or little avi was my test.
Here is what XMM needs to do

XMM need to store the metadata files with the movies, so you should end up with the following in each movie folder:-

movie.avi - Actual movie file
folder.jpg - has to be this name, this is picked up as the coverart
backdrop.jpg - has to be this name, is used for the background picture when going into the details for the movie
mymovies.xml - has to be this name, this is picked up as the details for the movie

So if movies are stored in folder like
//server/movie/True Lies/true lies.mkv
//server/movie/Matrix/matrix.avi

then the XMM would perform its logic so that the net result is that the each movie folder has the following files.
//server/movie/True Lies/true lies.mkv, folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg, mymovie.xml
//server/movie/Matrix/Matrix.avi, folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg, mymovie.xml

Cover for True lies is now in True Lies folder with name folder.jpg
Fanart (or backdrop) is now in True Lies folder with name backdrop.jpg
True Lies's metadata in xml fomat is now in True Lies folder with name mymovie.xml

If a user has more than 1 main folder or 1 hdd to store movies then the myvideo in my media center pc will contain a .vf file that has entries to each main movie folder like

folder: //server/disk1/movie
folder: //server/disk2/movie

Currently XMM creates the .vf file that links to the _mediacenterdir, which is good for offline movie in DVD/HDD. So you need to check the movie's detail information in XMM. if for True Lies file1-file6 fields are empty then it means its an offline media and the existing implementation in XMM is good. If the file1-file6 fields has the file location information in file1 field then add the media browser related information as described in above paragraph into each movie folder. And then check and update the .vf file in myvideos to ensure that the path for the movie location exists.

It seems that the above implementation used by another highly popular software mymovies.name and has been adopted by not only Media Browser addon but also by another popular addon known as "Open Media Library". If you implemnet the process nicely then you can kill two birds with 1 stone.

Let me know if you need more information and we can talk over phone. Just PM me

Regards, Shaurya

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  08:16:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Alessio,

Any update?

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  07:26:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shaurya,

please don't hate me, but I haven't take a look yet, I was really busy these days.

I hope to find some time next days..

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No prob. I understand. I want to work with you and would like to see xmm be the best collection software with decent interface (import/export) for all of the most popular HTPC software that I PLAY AROUND WITH.

Just sent you an email regarding the issue with xml with the newest version.
Regards, Shaurya.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  18:59:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Shaurya! I have got it.

I will be really busy until the end of next week, but from 25 January we can work toghether to find finally a solution.

Thank you again,

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

shaurya

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  14:04:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Alessio,

Any update?

Regards, Shaurya
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  08:07:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am back just now, it was a really terrible week

I have start to work on it, but I really don't know how many days I need.

I will keep you informed also by email, maybe by sending you new exe files.

Thank you!

Alessio

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.2 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07