Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Bug Report
 new bug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  10:18:44  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
While sorting by length the entries appear by absolute numerical value. Entries with values 1 to 19 (minutes) are followed by entries 100 to 199. I think XMM should be able to sort the entries acknowledging the TIME value.

As an addition, I think that it would be nice to be able to create groups (i.e. up to 30 min, 31-60, etc).

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  10:41:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi apd,
I think groups are not good for that. Best way could be to expand the minutes with 0 like 001.
Could be easily done in script or by Ale in XMM itself.

JDommi

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I meant groups by duration inside XMM, to group short films. But anyway, the important thing is to have the correct sorting - XMM should "imagine" the 00 in a 1 min film ot the 0 in a 59 min film.
Go to Top of Page

kencr

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  13:00:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think the problem lies in how the length of a film is expressed, and how the database treats it. Most of the films I've seen give the number of minutes a film lasts, followed by " min". This is a text value, and so it's sorted differently than it would be if it was just a number, without the " min" at the end.

If the time were expressed as a number, i.e. the number of minutes, there wouldn't be a problem. If the movie is downloaded using a script, it all depends on how the particular film database you download it from holds the information.

For example, suppose a film is 59 min long, some databases (e.g. IMDB) show the length as "59 min", others as just 59.

It should be possible to write a script which strips the " min" away, then turn the remaining text into a number, which would make the values consistent, regardless of which film database you download it from.

Ken Crosbie
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  18:17:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You're right, Ken. And of course to make it more difficult: some sites show 2 different times; With and without credits.
As example: 83:53 Min. (78:45 Min. o.A.).
For that it would be a good idea to take 2 fields for length: 1 for normal display and another (only first numerical part) for sorting, overall time or anything like that.
Well, quite easy to handle but is that really worthwhile?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  10:10:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The "is it worth it" question is subjective - and it applies to many aspects of XMM. For me the answer is yes, because, for one it allows me to distinguish at once between short and long films in a list. If it was
implemented, it could be used in the "exclusion" filters - like "show all films by Z, except shorter than 40 min".

And anyway, if it's easy, why not have it available? :)
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  10:30:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, apd ;)
Of course, if someone wants to use it - it's worth it. I only thought of the duplicate fields for this function that in most cases would be identical. But maybe Ale has a good idea to prevent two fields without cutting additional info like the second time without the credits...

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07