Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Scripts
 Why can't details of scripts stay with updates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

KMF18914
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  02:15:02  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Especially with IMDB (full) -- the default is 999 actors...I don't want anywhere near that especially because it brings the downloads to a halt...why do I have to change my script setting to 8 actors each time there is a new script? I may be doing something wrong, but this is frustrating as sometimes I forget until I am updating my database details....any and all help/explanations appreciated.

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Because the value is written/saved inside the script. Therefor if a script is updated the it's overwritten.
Go to Top of Page

KMF18914
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  18:14:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, there is only one thing I can do and ask if 999 actors should really be the default value? It just seems rather excessive on the data pull and download time.

Appreciate your responding to my question!
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  18:42:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think it's best to activate as much options as possible as default, because almost no one will know that more data is available.

Which user (especially new users) looks at the Advanced Options for more data download? I think almost no one. But if it's to much data for the user, he looks at the Advanced Options...
Go to Top of Page

KMF18914
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  20:58:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I understand what your thought process is Prinz and while I disagree I certainly respect it! I promise this is the last comment back to you on this issue...isn't it possible that you are losing new users during their trials, etc before purchasing full because they think the program has stalled/died/won't work. I think its the DL of the actors info that does take the longest and there is little chance the newbie will know that let alone know where to go...other than to a competing product.
I think it is fair to say that the learning curve is very steep and long and if there is an opportunity to rethink some initial logic and programming to make it more accessible and user friendly that would be more the ideal? Just a thought and I truly do thank you for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  11:43:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
But that is mainly a User-interface Feedback problem. You can see if you look at the eXtreme Download Monitor G3 that the import hasn't stalled. (Red/Green Field and the changing urls)

This Interface-Feedback could be improved.

And for impatient Users there is the IMDB.COM(Fastest) Script. It has to be fixed a bit more, but that is another discussion...

The Name IMDB.COM (Complete) implies that everything is downloaded.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  22:04:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello guys and sorry for late reply.

Indeed KMF18914 you are right, new users may think that software freeze. I will try to think to a better solution for that.

Thank you!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

KMF18914
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  04:46:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks to both Alessio and Prinz....I was not intending to appear difficult and I understand the demands and skills required to program and write code...something my brain understands but is not good at execution. My brain usually asks the question "will the average user understand this and know how to achieve the software's result". Many times we do thing because they have always been that way or a programmer looks at it differently than the end user, so I apologize if my challenges came across wrong...I always think it best to look at things from a different perspective and bottom line for the software company is to not only maintain users, but more important -- get new paid users!

Thanks for listening
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07