Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Suggestions / New Features
 Biography of Directors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

auslander
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  12:43:41  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Why isn't the biography of the directors imported, too? It gets imported for Charlie Chaplin, for example, but I suppose this happens only because he was an actor, too. Still, there is no biography imported in XMM for Ingmar Bergman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000122/) or Andrey Tarkovskiy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001789/), which are both very famous directors.

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  13:31:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Additional Info is only imported in the Actors Block in the Scripts. All other Blocks only import the Name.

The effort to add this to other fields would be great, because the magic script engine doesn't know the concept of a user defined function that can be called inside the scripts on different positions.

It would make things much easier for script writers if magic script would add user-defined functions, especially for "actor". If I only think how much work it was adding actors completely to the main and episode part in the IMDB.com for TV Shows. Not to mention the big amount of (almost) duplicate code. And all this has to be corrected every time the site changes. So without a way define such a userdefined function and calling it in different blocks the effort to the maintain the scripts would increase drastically, not to mention the multiple possibilities for bugs.

So i would say: As long as magic script doesn't add the possibility of a user-defined function I will not add additional imports in other blocks.
Go to Top of Page

auslander
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, if it cannot be imported at the same time with the other info, isn't it possible to make a script that updates the biography if the IMDB ID is inserted?
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  13:57:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can use the IMDB.COM (Actors) or any other actors script to import the data. For XMM all people are Actors (Director, Producer,...)
Go to Top of Page

auslander
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  14:09:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Don't know why, but IMDB.COM (Actors) is no longer present in the list, when initializing the update, though it hasn't been deleted from the Scripts folder.

LE: I managed to update the info of Frank Capra and Stanley Kubrick, using the IMDB.COM Actors script (this one cannot be selected as a script for Quick Update, that's why I wrote that ^^^). However, I have http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/ in my database and when I try to update the info for the director - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0939182/, it only downloads the photo, and the update window closes suddenly, even though there would be more info to import - in this case, birth date. Despite the photo being downloaded, it doesn't show up in XMM.

Besides, when using the IMDB.COM (Actors) script for directors, the imported filmography only includes the movies, if any, in which the director was an actor. The movies directed by that particular director do not make it to the list.

Edited by - auslander on 13 Apr 2011 14:59:05
Go to Top of Page

Prinz

Germany
1522 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  15:22:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by auslander

Besides, when using the IMDB.COM (Actors) script for directors, the imported filmography only includes the movies, if any, in which the director was an actor. The movies directed by that particular director do not make it to the list.

Of course not, because the script is for actors. Most people have credits listed for more then acting (writing, producing, directing,...) but that isn't imported of course, because it's for actors (XMM only knows Actors).

Kar Wai Wong import is working here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07