New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  14:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

I just installed the new version 8 of the Movie Manager and every think looked more "clean" and very white. But with this came the problem, how I navigate in it and use this new version? The Toolbare is so smale and empty that it's not nice and possible to work with. OK there is more in the context menue to find but that's not a nice way. As example the Lord of The Rings has to movie parts, how I can play the second one? I found the old Toolbare better.

Another thing is to Edit a movie. On the main page there are now this check boxes, how can I insert there a new entry?
The fields where I'm write my informations in are now very smale, what makes them not really usable.
The page "DVD/VHS" should be renamed in "DVD/Blu-ray" or better in "Medium"

There are a lot of things more but I don't have the time to write them all down. All in all the version 8 has a bit to go till it will be a relly good version. In the moment for me it's far away from version 7. I don't want to write it bad but sorry that's how I see it.

If I have a bit more time I will write a view things more down.

Regards
Saphir

eXtreme Books Manager 1.0.4.6
eXtreme Movie Manager 7.2.3.6
eXtreme Games Manager 1.0.3.8
eXtreme Movie Manager 8.0.7.0

Edited by - Saphir on 14 Sep 2012 14:51:17

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  14:59:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Saphir and thank for your report!

XMM 8 is still a work in progress, so every suggestion is very welcome and I will try to add to the final release.

I have write XMM from scratch because was too complicated for a new user, I want keep the interface as clean as possible without lose the "functions" that are inside XMM for years.

XMM will be more "automated" that the previous release, for example it will import info from internet automatically, trying to not let you choose link everytime.

For the Play button, I will have in mind to put it in the MovieCard, so will be easy to click on it.

Please continue to make tests and write your suggestions!

Thank you,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  18:21:35  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I will try my best to write a view things down.

It's a nice bit of work, the new Manager. To make it easier is a good idea but don't make it to easy because there are also users who want to have a full overview of what informations and happenings going on in the database. I know it's not easy to take care of both but I think it's needed.

As excample if the new Manager is importing the informations alone from the internet, my question is:
- Which information are imported?
- What is with the information I allready have in the database?
- Are the automatically inserted informations are right for my version of the movie?
- Will I get an information what is automatically inserted?

The HTML card:
For me it's a card for only read informations, not for working in it like playing the movie. To much in one place makes it not easy and clean. If you add there the play button, it will be a smal one I thing, that's not handy.
A other thing is I have a box with all three parts of a movie but put same alone in the database. What I did is putting the box cover in Fan Art and in Front Cover the single movie cover. In the HTML card is now showing the Fan Art extremely big. Maybe the Fan Art is not the right place for a second front cover but there is nothing else for a alternitive cover.

Toolbare:
The Toolbare with the view of MS Office 2010 is (in my view) great, I can get access easily to a lot of functions and tools with big buttons. For me, there is no need to change it but a need of sorting it better and make it more clear what is for what. As example in "Start" should be only easy to use tools and funktions for people who don't like it complicated. Every thing else could be in "tools" "advanced tools" and so on...

The Editor:
I think he needs more space for the fields and clarity how I can put new informations in (see my first post).

Regards
Saphir

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Saphir

It's a nice bit of work, the new Manager. To make it easier is a good idea but don't make it to easy because there are also users who want to have a full overview of what informations and happenings going on in the database. I know it's not easy to take care of both but I think it's needed.

I fully agree to you! At the moment XMM8 is less than a light version of XMM7 - but keep in mind that this is still not a beta.

quote:
As excample if the new Manager is importing the informations alone from the internet, my question is:
- Which information are imported?
- What is with the information I allready have in the database?
- Are the automatically inserted informations are right for my version of the movie?
- Will I get an information what is automatically inserted?

As far as I have seen so far is that the options are set to not overwrite existing data. Unfortunately there are several entries from my converted db that seem to should updated by XMM8 but I still have to chose between several search results. No automation can do it all alone, but if there is no imdb link already there then you still have to update manually...

quote:
The HTML card:
For me it's a card for only read informations, not for working in it like playing the movie. To much in one place makes it not easy and clean. If you add there the play button, it will be a smal one I thing, that's not handy.
A other thing is I have a box with all three parts of a movie but put same alone in the database. What I did is putting the box cover in Fan Art and in Front Cover the single movie cover. In the HTML card is now showing the Fan Art extremely big. Maybe the Fan Art is not the right place for a second front cover but there is nothing else for a alternitive cover.

I think there should be only a popup menu to play the movie like Play Part X or Play All Parts. Same for Boxsets.
Additional covers are at the bottom of each card... For Boxsets I don't know as I haven't any. Should be the same as a boxset has it's own cover. The additional ones as example the covers of each movie in it could be the first pic of each single movie.

quote:
Toolbare:
The Toolbare with the view of MS Office 2010 is (in my view) great, I can get access easily to a lot of functions and tools with big buttons. For me, there is no need to change it but a need of sorting it better and make it more clear what is for what. As example in "Start" should be only easy to use tools and funktions for people who don't like it complicated. Every thing else could be in "tools" "advanced tools" and so on...

That's already a request as you can set the menus to simple or advanced mode. There all functions can be set as wanted for the user.

quote:
The Editor:
I think he needs more space for the fields and clarity how I can put new informations in (see my first post).

You're right. At the moment all fields are only for importing info without the need of editing them manually. I would love to see more of those fields, too. But that sometimes can be hard as no everybody has a high resolution of multiple monitors. So not to have too much to switch between all data fields it's really hard to design.
Especially as Ale doesn't want to use the Edit View anymore...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  19:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@Saphir

quote:

You can do this by yourself by editing the language file

@JDommi

quote:
That's already a request as you can set the menus to simple or advanced mode. There all functions can be set as wanted for the user.

Maybe I've missed something when I played with XMM8 but I can't see a simple or advanced mode. I only see that the ribbons are gone and were replaced by some icons with dropdown menue. I liked the ribbons much better.

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 11 Sep 2012 19:44:24
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think it's not ready yet, Mawu.
I have suggested that behaviour shortly before Ale has made this release "public".

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  20:00:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Guys,

I will not bring the Ribbon back because many user hate it, because it takes really much space with add nothing (Personally I like Ribbon very much!)

XMM 8 will have only one toolbar, I will maybe add new buttons to quickly play movies. I don't think XMM8 is far away from XMM7, almost all old features are ready and there are new (like the File manager) that are much better than in XMM7

The big improvement is for "normal" people, I mean users that just want that XMM scan their HD, collect as many informations as possible with just one single script. For all the other user, extreme users, you can disable the automatic import and use XMM like XMM7, I mean by selecting the movies you want import and the script you want to use.

This is what I have in mind of course, I hope to reach this point soon

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  20:16:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ale, keep smiling - you still haven't seen the feature rquests that Prinz and me have already collected .
We only wanted to wait until the first beta and the bugs are fixed!

Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 11 Sep 2012 20:16:25
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  20:26:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  16:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@ Alessio: That's pitty tha the Ribbon will not come back. and only 1 toolbar? How you will fit there everything for normal and advanced users in? By the way the new icons are looking good, they are not to small.

Nice if the Code is not far away from XMM7 but on the interface is still a good work to do.

I`m only afraid if XMM will be one of this programs who is easy to use so importend, that for advanced users it is not nice anymore. Not that I don't like a easy to use program, nobody can make a study for all programs he has, but the program should be usefull after it es easy to use ;-)

If XMM8 will collect data automatically, can I deside with which sript it will do this? In the moment every script is asking me which one is the right Movie to import from? Who will this be managed?

Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mawu

@Saphir

quote:

How can I do this?

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  17:46:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

In the configuration (MagicScript Options) just disable the "Update People/Movies Automatically in background", and XMM will work like XMM 7.

If you turn this feature ON, XMM will use the "Default Script for movies" you have setup. Just this.

I have made this just to prevent you to select the movies you want import, click on the import window, then select the script and go on...

XMM will just try in background to import the movie with the default script... if will found a directlink will import the movie, if there are more links to select it will ask you to do it manually.

Lets make an example. I have add to my database 1000 movies. XMM 8 has try to import it automatically. 400 was found directly, so XMM silently has import it in background. For the other XMM just prompt me with the links to select like XMM 7.

Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

Hello,

In the configuration (MagicScript Options) just disable the "Update People/Movies Automatically in background", and XMM will work like XMM 7.

That's good but I try first the automatic mode.

quote:
If you turn this feature ON, XMM will use the "Default Script for movies" you have setup. Just this.

I found where I can select the default script, thats very good, thanks

quote:
I have made this just to prevent you to select the movies you want import, click on the import window, then select the script and go onquo...

This I didn't understand?

quote:
XMM will just try in background to import the movie with the default script... if will found a directlink will import the movie, if there are more links to select it will ask you to do it manually.

Lets make an example. I have add to my database 1000 movies. XMM 8 has try to import it automatically. 400 was found directly, so XMM silently has import it in background. For the other XMM just prompt me with the links to select like XMM 7.

That is perfekt, thanks for that information! For me it's important to know how XMM8 is working because if the database is once killed (with not wanted data), it's to late (I have a backup but if all this is happening in the backround it will not help)

Thanks for your good explanation.

Edited by - Saphir on 13 Sep 2012 13:36:29
Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  13:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Now I will write about a view Fileds in the Editor I don't know for what they are or I'm missing

What is the differenz between the Card "Media" and "DVD/VHS"?

DVD/VHS Card
1: For what is "Start Position"?
2: For waht is "Free Time"?
3: For what is "Video Mode", SD, HD maybe?
4: For what is "Audio Format" and if I use this like Englisch Dolby Digital 5.1 for what is tha "Audio Codec" in the card "Media"?
5. For what is "Video Standard"?

Media Card
1: Why is "Subtitles" not in the main page?
2: Should "Disks" not on the card "DVD/VHS"?
3: "Media Language" is not helpfull. If I write Language, Codec, Format in different fields, I don't know which language I have in which codec/format.
4: Is "Media Label" for DVD, Blu-ray...?
5: For what is this big field "Soundtrack"?

So I hope I have a better view of the program after I know what is for what, In the moment I don't know really where to put my informations in.

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  14:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@Alessio
quote:
I will not bring the Ribbon back because many user hate it, because it takes really much space with add nothing (Personally I like Ribbon very much!)

Epic Fail, because it's a step back in usability. Navigation in menue bar now is a seek and click adventure inside the dropdown menues.

@Saphir

quote:

Language file is in xMM directory (e.g.c:\ProgramData\Binaryworks\XMM8\Languages\). Language file is a normal text file which can be edited (Line 0058|DVD/VHS)

quote:
DVD/VHS Card
1: For what is "Start Position"?
2: For waht is "Free Time"?
3: For what is "Video Mode", SD, HD maybe?
4: For what is "Audio Format" and if I use this like Englisch Dolby Digital 5.1 for what is tha "Audio Codec" in the card "Media"?
5. For what is "Video Standard"?

Most things a related to VHS.

1. Start position of movie on VHS as most vhs recorders have special counters.
2. Free time: time/space left the medium to record an additional movie
3. SD/HD is possible, also normal and long-play for VHS
4. Audio Codec, e.g. AC3, DTS, MP3, AAC
5. e.g. PAL, NTSC

quote:

Media Card
1: Why is "Subtitles" not in the main page?
2: Should "Disks" not on the card "DVD/VHS"?
3: "Media Language" is not helpfull. If I write Language, Codec, Format in different fields, I don't know which language I have in which codec/format.
4: Is "Media Label" for DVD, Blu-ray...?
5: For what is this big field "Soundtrack"?

1. because it's always related to the medium (DVD, Blu-ray etc.)and not the movie in general.
2. you are right. Or also can be related with media label.
3. Therefore my feature request concerning multiple audio streams.
4. No. It's the name of the DVD, Blu-ray as it is detected by your system or as you can define it when you burn a medium., e.g. MATRIX is the media label of my Matrix-DVD.
5. For a list of all tracks on the original motion picture soundtrack (can be grabbed with IMDB script)

Bye byte and Happy Coding
Mawu

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  16:56:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Epic Fail, because it's a step back in usability. Navigation in menue bar now is a seek and click adventure inside the dropdown menues

Mawu do you really think so? I have only read bad things about the ribbon, people do not love it. I hope that people do not need to click so much on toolbar

Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  17:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

Epic Fail, because it's a step back in usability. Navigation in menue bar now is a seek and click adventure inside the dropdown menues

Mawu do you really think so? I have only read bad things about the ribbon, people do not love it. I hope that people do not need to click so much on toolbar

I think so too, maybe you only read from people who doesn't like it. If it is so what is with all the others? People who like something often doesn't say anything.
I'm sure I have made it for you now complicated
I for example like to use a toolbar very often.

Edited by - Saphir on 13 Sep 2012 17:40:53
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
@Alessio

Oko,ok. My statement is slightly exaggerated. People who like the ribbons don't complain about. My problem with xMM8 at the moment is, that the layout doesn't follow classical arrangements - which means: ribbons or a mix of text based dropdown menues at top and an icon bar. Man is a creature of habit and new arrangement is unfamilar to me. I first have to make a guess under which icon I can find a certain feature and then I have to click through a deeply interlaced structure (and many feature are still not implemented). At first sight xMM seem to be more clearly arranged with the few icons, but all the features are just hidden under them. The ribbon structure was not perfect in the past, because the arrangement of elements was not flexible and very often not very clear. Therfore I hoped to get improved ribbons like in Office 2010/2013. Another point: ribbons are imho more touch-friendly.

Edited by - Mawu on 13 Sep 2012 17:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Saphir

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  17:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Saphir's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with Mawu, a better sorted ribbon would be the best how I wrote before. A single toolbar where everything is hidden under the icons is not easy to use its more complicated and looks only easy and clean.

You have a facebook site, make a questionnaire and look what others thing.

Edited by - Saphir on 13 Sep 2012 22:20:40
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  18:22:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I totally agree with Saphier and Mawu with the ribbon. As long as it is only shown on mouseover it's really an easy thing for handling most functions.
I hate those menues that have been opened to see the next menue that contains the function I need.
If the ribbon is good sorted it's in my opinion the best way of handling a program. As said earlier it would be good to separate this ribbon between an Easy Mode and and Advanced Mode. For that the users should give you hints where a beginner searches for special functions and where a skilled user does.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  20:53:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Damn guys, now I really don't know what to do... bring the Ribbon back yes or not... mmm...

I will think about this...

I have hear too much times that XMM is not user friendly, its too much complicated to use etc.. etc... this is why i try to make it as simple as possible.

OK, I will release during this week-end the new alpha, there are a lot of things to test

Thank you as always!

Ale

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.18 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07