Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 Installation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  12:28:53  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Thank You for the new XXM!
You have made some changes to the installation to be more Windows conform.
But I think it is not better then XMM7. I belief the installation in the user folder in XMM7 was more secure then the XMM8 installation.

It would have been better not to use programData but the user porfile folder appdata\roaming to store the parts of xxm which are changeable for the user. Now one can not run xxm with different settings from different user profiles, because it is all writen in C:\ProgramData\Binaryworks\XMM8.
Apart from that you changed the permissions to write to C:\ProgramData\Binaryworks to "full access" for "everyone" which is not good, at least change it to "users". On my computer with a lot of programs installed xxm is the only one with full access in programData. And no other program has the execute right set for "users" or even worse for "everyone". Which could be used by malware.

The best would be to use the user Appdata folder instead. There you don't need to change system permissions, as the user already has all the rights set by windows.
You could store the files in the program folder of xxm and with an new user logging into its account and using xxm the first time to copy the necessary files to the users appdata\roaming folder.
The same could happen after XMM has been updated.
Then every user on a computer could have its own settings and configuration of xxm. Just point XMM to %APPDATA%\Binaryworks for the files now in programdata and every user would have its own configuration.

Would be to hard to change it and make it more secure an windows conform?

A vital feature would be a portable installation as well. Either with to different download packages for portable or installation use or with a choise in the installation process wether to install to the system or just into a folder.

At the moment it is not possible to use XMM8 portable as XMM7.
Which means I can't switch productivly to XMM8 as i need the portable
installation and can't even use XMM7 for only the portable use, as the database has changed.

I also found out, the xmm copied my database from another drive to the
the folder C:\ProgramData\Binaryworks\XMM8\Databases which i didn't want it to do. I thought one could store the database anywhere. And choose its location? If you do it to preserv the old database, then perhaps you could give an option where to store the new transformed database.

Thank you for all your work!

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  13:46:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
All,

Thank you for your suggestions!

I am trying to change the installation like before. Maybe I can try to install in the My Documents folder (like XMM 7) as default. I don't know yet, but next week for sure I will make this change.

Thank you!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for considering!
But don't make it "my documents". It is not the propper place. The right way would be to have all the executable files in the %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% = C:\Program Files (x86) folder and the changeable user data and the user config files in %APPDATA% = C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming. This would mean each user on an pc could have their own configuration of XMM8 and the executable files are safe in the program files folder from user and malware tempering. Script update could be done without the admin, XMM update need an admin to install.
You should almost be there, as you already separated the executable files from the other data, just that programdata is not the best place to put it.
If you really want to put it all back in the user space (which could safe you from needing an extra portable edition) then the right place would not be "my documents" but %LOCALAPPDATA% = C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local. My Documents should be for office files and the like. %LOCALAPPDATA% ist for program files. Google Chrome browser for example has a per user installation and installs into C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Google\Crome. So for XMM it could be %LOCALAPPDATA%\Binaryworks\XMM.
Putting it all there would mean, that each user account on a computer would need an extra installation of XMM. But on the other hand one could easily copy everything or choose another installation folder on a usb drive an xmm would be portable again.
The first way would be the good. you never know what further limitations windows will bring, and you would be more prepared.
The second would be the easiest for now and give you a portable version the same time.
The best would be to give the user the choice on installation.

Put an config file in the program folder, which points XMM to the right location for the user data. This ini file would be written on installation after a user selection of portable or local installation.

Hope it helps you.

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

From 8.0.1.5 you can install also in a usb key... XMM will always search files in the install folder (or where EXE is stored)

Please make tests to be sure that everything works!

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07