Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 File Manager confusing and buggy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  10:51:29  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I would like to reassign drive letters to some of my films in the XMM8 Database. In XMM7 there was a easy to handle function for that.
XMM8 seems to want to move/copy the files itself. But i don't want xxm to do it. just adjust the database. (because i just changed drive letters) how can i do it? The pop up window to chose a folder does not help! A text field would be better. like in XMM7.

The Fields Functions are a bit confusig as well. Selecting "Replace a word on Files" the pop up says "Replace a word on all fields".
What is it? Does it alter file names or change field values in the database?
I tried to change the pathes for some of my files with this. Hoping it would be like the old XMM7 function to change pathes for files. But it did not do anything.
"Write a word you want replace" e.g.:J:\Film
"Write the new word" e.g.: K:\Film
I expected it to change any found value in the databae to the new value, but it did nothing!

And why do we need a separate file managers for movies and episodes? As the functions seem to be the same and the files may be on the same drive or in the same folder.

Edited by - zukkara on 15 Oct 2012 11:00:48

zukkara

105 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  11:12:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok, the replace function is working when one right clicks on a film in the grid and selects all.
Not very obvious. But why do i have to select something, as the functions says "Replace a word on all fields" and not only on the fields of films selected before.

And why do i have do to it for episodes again. as they are on the same path?

Edited by - zukkara on 15 Oct 2012 11:24:41
Go to Top of Page

sodemir
Starting Member

Turkey
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  22:04:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi;
I started to use 8.0 newly; and inserted my database of 7.0. I do have the same problem as I have four HDDs, whose path letter have been changed from one pc to another. I read all the topics and only saw the same problem under here. However I still could not find out the solution despite zukkara's pointing out! would sb. gkve more detail or is there a way to change the path names for the files?
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  12:16:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would do it by "replace a word on all fields", too. It's the fastest way.
And why separating between movies and episodes? Simple answer: there are different tables for in the database structure.
A more time-intensive way would be to re-read all files to let XMM automatically correct the filepaths.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

sodemir
Starting Member

Turkey
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  22:45:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I tried both ways and the result is still negative! I think i am missing a point:

1. in fileds manager>rigth click>select all> type K:\ and replace with H:\...

2. in main window; I selected all files -and then also tried by selecting some of them>collection maintenance>re-read codecs.

as a final note I have to say: in "fileds manager" i can see every column of the editing a moveie but not the "file" (path).
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  00:02:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You're right. I think this function is removed in release 8...
Only way I can still suggest: open the mdb directly with Access or OpenOffice and do the replacements.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

sodemir
Starting Member

Turkey
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  20:44:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That worked Access handled the situation easily; thanks very much JDommi..
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  10:49:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There is a function to do this also in 8.

File Manager function -> Select all Files -> Fields Function -> Replace a Word

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07