Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Bug Reports
 release format
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bob steacy
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  00:28:44  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi.. Ive been using the program for some time now. Its excellent in most ways. But lately its been plagued with numerous annoyances that, bluntly speaking, makes me not trust the program. I have close to 4000 movies in various formats, close to 500 tv shows with over 5000 episodes. I think my collection is relatively large. When I put new items in it, which I due daily, I must trust that is doing what I expect and that the learning curve I need to do this is based on a reasonable assumption that it worked before it should work now. Unfortunately, this assumption is not entirely accurate now. Lately movies I have put in and verified they are in, disappear!, extra files appear under file headings that I didnt put in, dvd covers sometimes dont populate the card, trailers dont always work, and numerous other annoyances. It has not always been this way in the past. I have concluded it usually happens about the time there is some form of major release!!
May I recommend a reasonable solution to this situation, that I am sure many users have experienced ------
Major program updates should be done at a maximum frequency of ONCE per month (say on the 15th of each month)
Only major functionaliy updates are released on any other dates.
What does this accomplish? Well, hopefully, it would mean that each MONTHLY UPDATE, has been thoroughly checked and is working as it should and DOES NOT affect other program functions.
and two, it gives the user time to understand and be familiar with the changes and how it may effect his use of the program.
Changing the program to accomodate every ones desire will only increase problematic funtionality ,if the program changes are done only monthly it will probably assure the accuracy of the work. Im sorry if I sound negative , dont mean to. I just want my favorite program to hit the high standards it has in the past and hopefully get around some of the negative annoyances it seems to have now. Thankyou

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  07:58:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, in most parts I agree with you. An update should be tested before. Like it was until release 7. But think that XMM8 is kind of new program as it's completely rewritten! And although it's stated as a full release it still should be called a beta. But once proclaimed you can't reverse it anymore.
Monthly updates: a big NO from me! If a bug is fixed it should be provided immediatly! I think nobody wants that monthly update s like MS does. That would cause sometimes that even script updates will be released monthly and not as soon as has to be.
As long as there are still bugs in XMM8 I further will use XMM7 until there exists a really improved release that is stable and has all the "old" features I'm used to have.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  16:26:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Bob,

I release XMM everytime there is a bug fix, not once per month. I think that this is a sign of the hard work we do each day to fix everything. Of course if you want update it only every month you can do it.

I know that XMM 8 has some bugs and features not ready, but I am fixing in quickly.

If you are not confortable with it please continue to use the 7 for a while.

Let me know,

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  22:19:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I totally agree with JDommi, I use only XMM7 to add movies, did a transfer of the database to XMM8 to learn to use and see how it behaves, when this solid'll pass the database.
I have also very careful with my database so many hours invested.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.15 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07