Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 Title Sort
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jeff363

83 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  14:27:00  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I noticed that the title does not sort correctly on films with numbers in their titles. I have added all of the Star Trek movies and they go from 1 to 12. The 10th, 11th and 12th titles show up after 1, rather than 9....It treats it like a text rather than a number.

Would be a good fix. BTW, it also happens if you use roman numerals

yan00s

405 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:24:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The grid itself doesn't provide "natural sorting" so it would mean additional coding (http://documentation.devexpress.com/#WindowsForms/CustomDocument692/SORTING_VIA_CODE).

If you want to apply this to roman numerals as well you'd need even more (!) coding. I'm afraid that's not a good idea at this moment of XMM8's life.

Of course, for arabic numerals you can always add a sufficient amount of zeros to help machine sorting look better. But then your titles may look a bit more ugly. Movie Saga 01. Hmm.

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  20:46:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, in v7 we couldn't even sort length (duration) values without a plugin, so it's a step forward.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  21:54:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Have a look at Windows itself! Up to Windows ME, I think, the explorer sorted the files "correct" but since XP this doesn't work anymore and 11 is sorted between 1 and 2.

As yan00s already has said: an own algorithm for sorting every kind of enumeration would be too complex.

I haven't tried it yet but wwhat about Movie__1, Movie__2, ... Movie_10? (The underline should be a blank.) Will this blank char be sorted before or after the numerical value?

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse

Edited by - JDommi on 07 Mar 2013 21:56:18
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  10:45:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You're right, of course.

But the use of an underscore would undermine the possibility to auto clean the filenames (or at least add extra manual work).
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  12:32:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
(The underline should be a blank.)

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

jeff363

83 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  12:46:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I currently use blanks before the numbers, for example...Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan....it still does not sort it as a numeral, but rather an alpa....
Go to Top of Page

rocman

Australia
117 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  14:39:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would use it this way (a zero is a nice number):

Star Trek 01
Star Trek 02
Star Trek 10

Edited by - rocman on 08 Mar 2013 14:40:49
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

quote:
(The underline should be a blank.)

Go to Top of Page

jeff363

83 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  01:42:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well that was too easy!! It works fine....Thanks...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07