New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

HaraldBluetooth

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  01:04:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Running IMDB.COM (Complete) with 99 actors took 545 min (over 9 hours) for 68 movies, and when finished it took 12 min. with "Please wait - Saving database" before it finished. And many of the movies have less than 30 actors.

All with newest 8.1.3.0 version and latest IMDB script from yesterday.

Edited by - HaraldBluetooth on 04 Dec 2013 01:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  06:40:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
9 hours is really strange, really. Today I will make some tests again. The problem is indeed the script, IMDB make an high number of script "instructions" to download everything (you can check it in the advanced tab of the Download Monitor). Improve this will not be easy.

For every single actor the script open different webpages.

Ale

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

HaraldBluetooth

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  13:40:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes in the future I will not take "Actors complete download", but sometimes I forget to change this, because the options are overwritten each time the script is updated.

For me it's enough to have a IMDB link in actors Webpage and the links to the actors movies in the database. Can you explain the strange behaviour, that sometimes when you
click on the link to actors webpage, it opens in an external Internet Explorer window and sometimes in the internal build-in IE browser window. But anyhow in the internal browser
it always pops up with a script error and when it's the external IE browser window, then when you close the window it pops up with a error window "Internet Explorer has stopped working".

By the way none of the IMDB scripts updates the following fields (not even Fege's latest 1.3.4 version):

Goofs, Trivia, A.K.A.S., Release Dates, Revenue and Movie Connections (maybe more fields).

Edited by - HaraldBluetooth on 04 Dec 2013 13:45:47
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  19:40:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For the script preferences maybe that will help you: http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12153

The broken fields - these are all the old V7 custom fields... Ale seems to have made a mistake on them. He has made an option to import the data from an V7 database in the new fields and in the custom fields. I think in the beginning of V8 as there wasn't this option the scripts have imported all fields correctly.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  23:18:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For me most important is performance on the basic functions.
OK I have a 'large' database 5300 movies and 73k actors records (I don't use these much so they are exactly as downloaded)

XMM7 start program 40 secs (too slow)
Convert to XMM8 (no actors) - no timings but pretty quick say <5 minutes? Certainly way faster than other functions!

XMM8 start program 30 secs (too slow) and remember its an empty actors database

Tried to download actors from internet as recommended but couldn't figure out how. So tried one movie and a complete update from IMDB. That took 2.25 minutes including 30 actors
6 movies took over 10 minutes (got bored so no exact time) including 102 actors

At that rate it will take 7 solid days of internet time to update my actors!!! Hardly practical.

OK its not a great PC (4GB core duo 2Ghz and 5MB internet line) but even so.

So my vote goes for getting the basics working at a decent speed. And for me, the basics are
Edit a record (Movie mainly) - 5 secs to load and 5 secs to save! Too slow
Add records from media (HDD) - works fine 3 movies < 3 secs.
Sadly the movies did not appear in the customer treeview but did appear in the main movie list - a minor irritation.
Update from the internet - way too slow. see details above.

And it needs to work for Movies, Series, Boxsets and other groupings

The basic displays, filters editing facilities of XMM7 were fine for me. But as someone else posted, I want functionality and process, not sexy displays - others will be different but without the basic functionality working we are all in trouble!!

So I would vote for spending a bit of time getting the major bugs out of XMM7 (i dont think there are very many - IIRC series and boxsets were a bit flakey) and the scripts back working. Then you can offer XMM7 as the main operational version while you do the redesign work on XMM8 to get the speed up to scratch.

Just my 10c

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 29 Jan 2014 23:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  11:30:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I completely agree with you about the importing speed...

The problem is that if you want ALL data, including awards, pictures, fanarts, Movie Connectionsetc... thats normal that the script take so long to download and process the data.

I suggest you to use THEMOVIEDB script... you will have a big increase in speed download (of course you have to say goodbye to awards and movie connections.

If you take a look to Awards and Movie Connections you will see a huge quantity of data...

Ale

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  19:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
you have to say goodbye to awards and movie connections

How can I say "Hello" to the movie connections? This doesn't work for me even with the newest script.

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  11:36:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Importing Stuff
Yes indeed and I do not want a lot of this stuff.
  • Movie connections; I tried setting this to 0 some time ago (in XMM7) and it didn't work. To be honest I had forgotten you could do that so I'll try again
  • Awards: yes it can be a lot of information but most movies don't get awards!! I would only really care about Movie awards (as opposed to actor, lighting director or even script editor) so options for
    - exclude nominations
    - exclude technical awards (script, lighting, casting, etc)
    - exclude actors
    - major awards only (Oscars, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)
would be a great help

Looking at the script options, many are unclear. taking IMBD complete for example
  • Complete Import - How does this relate to awards? If awards is yes but complete import is main page only, does it just enter the summary from the main page or the detail or nothing or what?
  • Movie Compete, Main Page only. Does this override all other settings that might require visiting another page

• Actors Complete Download. What information is taken when you select 'do not take all actor information'
  • Movie awards - see above

I have no doubt my perception of the program would be improved if I understood more about the options but documentation is sadly lacking and I am therefore a big supporter of the documentation project. especially if it concentrates on the options people might want to change.

But I still don't like XMM8 because it is too slow (maybe the above will help) and I cannot even see let alone access fields I want in the quick edit feature (which also has what appears to be random use of bold and different font sizes for the data. Its for editing, just display the data in a standard font).

Specifically I cant see
  • The file names
  • The actors (crew in XMM7)
  • The main page does not show 'seen', genre stuff.
  • Awards number field does not seem to fit;
  • Media does not contain the contents of the old media field e.g. Divx;
  • The plot has been moved elsewhere. If there is one thing you want on the main page its the plot, what it is all about!
  • The media tab is virtually empty Codec, Bitrate, Resolution etc etc did not get converted across from XMM7
  • and so on

Sorry to go on so, but after nearly a year of XMM8, it still does not do all that XMM7 did.

So if I can add support for HaraldBluetooth (I'd love to see him smile :-) ), I agree entirely with
1. Quickedit. Default view MUST contain all fields sensibly laid out
2. Of no interest to me
3. Yes Yes Yes. But you would make life easier for yourselves if you made it clear how people can improve speed by getting only stuff they want. (I suspect most like me get everything) So set default script setting for the best combination of what people want and what is speedy. for example in IMDB - take main page only)
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Yes Yes Yes. people are much happier with stuff that works than the "promised land" that doesn't.

But thanks for all your hard work and good luck.

TFAI
R

He uses statistics as a drunk uses lampposts - for support rather than illumination
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  12:21:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I fully agree with all your points.
It's killing that after more than a year release 8 is still such an area needing improvement.
The big problem is that Ale is the only programmer and that he is really busy at his job and family. But you all know that real life is always the most important. So we all give him more time - as difficult and nerving that can be!
The only thing that I am really mad about is that there is still no bug tracker so that every user can see what's still broken or missing. And of course that the reported bugs will not be forgotten in the tangled mass. I have reported myself a lot of bugs of which I already have forgotten more than the half.

To the documentation: Ale and me have begun with that documentation on the new wiki site. But that needs a lot of time.
Ale should concentrate on programming.
And for me some functions were never important or needed, so on that I really cannot explain them. Additionally there are things that for me seem to be so clear that they don't need explanation - such as the script options. The more info you want to get the more time you'll need.
I think you should make a list of what should be explained. Beside that you can write about something yourself that you find interesting to share with other users or about the questions that are asked for in the forum.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  15:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
The only thing that I am really mad about is that there is still no bug tracker so that every user can see what's still broken or missing. And of course that the reported bugs will not be forgotten in the tangled mass. I have reported myself a lot of bugs of which I already have forgotten more than the half.

I'm missing a clear statement if Alessio actually wants a bugtracker or not. You can't force a programer to do things he doesn't want.

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  17:24:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In general he isn't against one. I think it's the right software and the administration.
But you're right, there is no clear statement from Ale.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  23:15:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Bug tracker is critical for those who have to fix things. It is also critical so we can 'agree' if a bug is critical or not. IMHO far too much time is spent providing features that very few people want. I understand why - its much more fun creating new stuff than making old stuff work but for users it is mostly the other way round.

Since we are unlikely to get a bug tracker can we at least have some idea of when the major broken things are going to be mended.

And its not too bad. If I take Harold's list and rate them
1 critical 5 does not matter) I think

1. Default quick edit view to contain all fields - 1

2. A fancy theater mode a la the StreamedMP skin - 4

3. Speed!Speed!Speed! - 3

4. scripts must work on the core information (IMDB main page) - 1
most information - 3

5. Full unicode support for all characters in all languages, - 2 (major western languages)

6 (My addition) core features to work on all types of data (series, Box sets, movies)

So for me the two critical things are Quick edit all fields (otherwise how to I change the data!!),l scripts (core data)
And then I can live with it PROVIDED there is a sensible list and timescale for future work

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"In order to achieve anything you must first have a plan"
and
"If you are failing to plan, you are planning to fail.”

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 02 Feb 2014 23:20:00
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  23:47:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, I never have used the Quickedit. A doubleclick to edit the movie is enough for me as I rarely modify or add data.
Therefor I don't wanna give values of what to do first. But the main bugs in XMM should have priority before adding more features.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  21:27:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Interesting - we all like different things and in many ways its XMM strength (lots of different ways) and weakenss (they all have to work!). I use quick edit because
- its there
- it shows, in groupings that I find useful, all the information in the database
- I positively hate the 'pretty' html presentation because the presentation obscures the data. Personally, I don't care if it looks pretty (multiple fonts, pictures, italics etc etc), I just want XMM to give me the bl***y information - preferably today rather than tomorrow!

And I find I have to edit data quite a lot mostly when a script has picked up the wrong movie and loaded the data without giving me the option!!

But all this is irrelevant without some policy statement from Ale.

From my perspective, either I get some idea of when the product will be usable (in that it has no significant bugs) and works at a sensible speed (v7 speed will just about do) otherwise I have to go elsewhere. The quickest approach must be to fix v7 while working on v8 because v7 mostly works and at a sensible speed (not lightning, just sensible v7 was jut about OK).

I've been hanging in with v7 in the hope of a working version 8 but the v7 scripts simply don't work properly any more.

And I said most of this in a post over a year ago but nothing changes.

So Ale, what is the plan?

Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  07:51:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hhhmmm - gone very quiet.
Seems we don't have a plan. That is a shame 'cos its a decent product at heart.

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  09:24:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We'll cross that bridge when Ale comes to it.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewindwiz

105 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  02:08:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
. . . . . if Ale comes to it!!

Edited by - Rincewindwiz on 17 Apr 2014 02:09:11
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4638 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the middle of the last week Ale has arrived back from holidays. I think now he soon will release a new update

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  06:54:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am here guys...

Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1025 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  14:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
***Bump***

And what are your plans?

Edited by - Mawu on 27 May 2014 11:31:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07